+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

November 2023 **inland** spousal applications

Dec 9, 2023
Did anyone else submit a visitors record as well? If so what was the wait like for that?
In fact, I had the same question.

While the sponsorship "inland" application and OWP application were both processed, do we need to submit a visitor record (I have a visitor visa) just in case that both of the application are rejected?

SkyEarth

Nov 20, 2023
Ok, so for anyone who was curious: TL;DR I didn't get my OWP at the border, but it was worth the trip anyhow. Still gotta apply online like everyone else lol.
---
I am reporting back on my trip (with my husband) to the US/Canada Port of Entry for the OWP. So first off, really great experiences with all agents on both sides -- I would highly recommend this port of entry to anyone; very chill/calm vibes. I went to the Stanstead/Derby Line border. It was heavily raining, which made the trip there longer than it should have been (Google had estimated about 1.5-2hrs from MTL).

We left at about 4AM and arrived at about 6:30AM. When we got there, we found out a few things:
  1. Although the border services at this port of entry are open 24/7, Immigration Services (particularly with relation to work permits) don't begin until 8AM -- which isn't posted anywhere online that we could find (because we had definitely looked before going!!).
  2. US citizens don't really "flagpole" because they have the right to enter the US naturally. So going through the border to change status or obtain a work permit doesn't require anything but telling the US border agent, showing your passport(s), and then turning around.
  3. OWP specifically for the Spousal Sponsorship in the Family Class can not be done at the border anymore. The policy that permitted it was revoked in May 2023.
That said, my husband and I agree that it wasn't a wasted trip. The agents were very patient with us, there was no line and no stress. We just ended up going to Vermont spontaneously for breakfast while we waited until 8AM and then we were attended to immediately when we arrived back at the Canadian border. The agents asked for all of the documents we had and wanted to know what we wanted to apply for. They took the paperwork for review, asked us to wait in the lobby, and waved us to the counter when they were ready.

It took about an hour to investigate our situation from 8:15AM to 9:20AM due to our unique circumstances (if we didn't have extra things for them to look at, the whole process would have been 15-30 min tops). We got a lot of information about the work permit processing and some advice from the border agent we were working with. The agent working with us also offered to extend my Visitor Record and provided us with a couple of print outs with additional options that we are able to pursue in the meantime for our specific situation.

So it's not a success story, but the ending was still positive!

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

shahzeba6

Star Member
Jan 3, 2019
Thank you. Honestly, I have problem to link the application. Maybe I will try it again in tomorrow. Also, I find the UCI number in the AOR email was my UCI number not my spouse number.
I Justin, The UCI number is not suppose to be of the principal? Does it have to be of the sponsor?

rmtl

Aug 27, 2021
In fact, I had the same question.

While the sponsorship "inland" application and OWP application were both processed, do we need to submit a visitor record (I have a visitor visa) just in case that both of the application are rejected?
We applied for visitor record before applying for sponsorship and OWP and my partner got 1 year. It took one month processing time, we applied one month before expired.
Even if they are rejected you can restore the visitor status within 90 days. I guess if you apply for visitor record and you said you applied for sponsorship you will get it. But really depends on how strong is your case and how much evidence you submitted

Dec 9, 2023
We applied for visitor record before applying for sponsorship and OWP and my partner got 1 year. It took one month processing time, we applied one month before expired.
Even if they are rejected you can restore the visitor status within 90 days. I guess if you apply for visitor record and you said you applied for sponsorship you will get it. But really depends on how strong is your case and how much evidence you submitted
Thanks so much for your answer, rmtl! It is really helpful. We have just less than one month remaining before the expiration date of the OWP (Jan.05, 2024). We need to submit VR application ASAP.

Justin618

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
Ok, so for anyone who was curious: TL;DR I didn't get my OWP at the border, but it was worth the trip anyhow. Still gotta apply online like everyone else lol.
---
I am reporting back on my trip (with my husband) to the US/Canada Port of Entry for the OWP. So first off, really great experiences with all agents on both sides -- I would highly recommend this port of entry to anyone; very chill/calm vibes. I went to the Stanstead/Derby Line border. It was heavily raining, which made the trip there longer than it should have been (Google had estimated about 1.5-2hrs from MTL).

We left at about 4AM and arrived at about 6:30AM. When we got there, we found out a few things:
  1. Although the border services at this port of entry are open 24/7, Immigration Services (particularly with relation to work permits) don't begin until 8AM -- which isn't posted anywhere online that we could find (because we had definitely looked before going!!).
  2. US citizens don't really "flagpole" because they have the right to enter the US naturally. So going through the border to change status or obtain a work permit doesn't require anything but telling the US border agent, showing your passport(s), and then turning around.
  3. OWP specifically for the Spousal Sponsorship in the Family Class can not be done at the border anymore. The policy that permitted it was revoked in May 2023.
That said, my husband and I agree that it wasn't a wasted trip. The agents were very patient with us, there was no line and no stress. We just ended up going to Vermont spontaneously for breakfast while we waited until 8AM and then we were attended to immediately when we arrived back at the Canadian border. The agents asked for all of the documents we had and wanted to know what we wanted to apply for. They took the paperwork for review, asked us to wait in the lobby, and waved us to the counter when they were ready.

It took about an hour to investigate our situation from 8:15AM to 9:20AM due to our unique circumstances (if we didn't have extra things for them to look at, the whole process would have been 15-30 min tops). We got a lot of information about the work permit processing and some advice from the border agent we were working with. The agent working with us also offered to extend my Visitor Record and provided us with a couple of print outs with additional options that we are able to pursue in the meantime for our specific situation.

So it's not a success story, but the ending was still positive!
Thanks for sharing your story. I had my PGWP in 1000 island board back in 2019. The first time I didn't prepare enough documents, but the second time was successful.

Reactions: SkyEarth

Justin618

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
I Justin, The UCI number is not suppose to be of the principal? Does it have to be of the sponsor?
I called IRCC last Friday and only waited about 2 minutes to answer my phone. They told me the spouse would receive the AOR letter with his UCI as well, but anyway, I linked the application using my spouse's IRCC account eventually by using somebody's tip, I changed the applicant number to "2". That sounds weird but it works.

whatawaiting

Nov 28, 2023
I am going to apply for open working permit now as I got AOR, should I attach all the marriage certificates and sponsor's status again to apply OWP?

rmtl

Aug 27, 2021
I am going to apply for open working permit now as I got AOR, should I attach all the marriage certificates and sponsor's status again to apply OWP?
You should attach your marriage certificate even though it is not one of the required documents when you do the questions but it is listed in the how to apply page

Reactions: whatawaiting

rmtl

Aug 27, 2021
I didn't manage to link my application as a sponsor, I used the application status tracker, I don't know what's the difference between the two website.
In the application tracker, i can see the details of the application and the history but in the PA application tracker there are more details about on which step the application now. Biometrics in Progress and background in Progress. (Biometrics and medical is done in the past).
I am waiting to get the letter from IRCC so I can submit the CAQ request for Quebec,