+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

November 2022 - Citizenship Applications

kbi911

Feb 25, 2019
It seems like everyone was receiving a hard copy of their citizenship certificate. Do I understand correctly that the option for an e-certificate is not available at this time? The website says that an option to choose an e-certificate had become available since January this year.
As per this, Valid proofs of Canadian citizenship - Canada.ca - Anyone who applied after Jan 4, 2023 - will have an option to choose "hardcopy" or "e-certificate" option. However those who have applied before will only have option for "e-certificate" only if it is provided to them as an option - only few of them they are offering this. so most of us who has application in November will not have ecertificate option (unless random one who they are offering)

Also on this page it says the same (if you click the ecertificate link) - We’re offering the e-certificate option to some applicants who submitted their applications before January 4, 2023. Apply for citizenship: After you apply - Canada.ca

Dr. Walden

Apr 27, 2020
Vancouver, BC
They requested Notice of assessments and Business returns documents to confirm SIN.
I see. Thanks, mate! I was requested to provide all pages of all my passports scanned. However, the request came through a local Vancouver office and it doesn't reflect on the tracker. So I was just wondering.

dugg1402

Dec 28, 2017
I see. Thanks, mate! I was requested to provide all pages of all my passports scanned. However, the request came through a local Vancouver office and it doesn't reflect on the tracker. So I was just wondering.
Yup, came from local office (Mississauga) for me as well. But it seems tracker is not reflecting the current status anymore.

korgprof80

Apr 24, 2023
Got an email from the Montreal office saying I can pick up my certificate at the Montreal office on June 23rd, or it would be mailed out to me within 4-6 weeks! That's nonsense, I'm located in Nova Scotia, why wouldn't I be able to pick it up at my local office or have the option to receive an e-certificate :(

SAKARUN

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Got an email from the Montreal office saying I can pick up my certificate at the Montreal office on June 23rd, or it would be mailed out to me within 4-6 weeks! That's nonsense, I'm located in Nova Scotia, why wouldn't I be able to pick it up at my local office or have the option to receive an e-certificate :(
That is too bad that mailing certificate takes that long.

Eve2019

Sep 8, 2020
Just finished the ceremony!
I asked the officer during check in if we can get an electronic certificate instead of paper one and she told me sure, no problem. Already received an email with instructions on how to download the certificate. Just thought I share here since many people here don't want to wait for mail.

derkdsou

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2018
Thanks a lot for sharing this! I will for sure request an e-certificate, and I'm glad they're being flexible about it. Speed and efficiency aside, it's so freeing not to worry about losing or damaging your paper certificate at some point in life!

Just finished the ceremony!
I asked the officer during check in if we can get an electronic certificate instead of paper one and she told me sure, no problem. Already received an email with instructions on how to download the certificate. Just thought I share here since many people here don't want to wait for mail.

Reactions: Rolzyy

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
Oh man so sorry to hear this Jalal,
  • Since 2017 was your wife a TR? Only 1 yr will count (365)
  • When did she become a PR?
  • From when to when was she a Temp res (work permit)
I would say appeal, but that costs money, and lawyers it is cheaper to just recalculate and ensure it's correct and then re-apply.
when you did the calculation with the tool, did it tell you she was eligible and what dates did you put in? and when you recalculate now does it say she is ready?
Hello there,

It's great to hear from you, my friend.

Just to provide you with some updates, she held an open work permit from June 2017 until August 2020 when she became a permanent resident. We submitted our application in November 2022.

According to the calculator, she has accumulated 1120 days and is eligible for citizenship. However, they have already refunded me for the previous application. I plan to apply again online for myself and my son this week. As for my wife, I will wait until she has completed 1095 days after obtaining permanent residency, which should be around September.

While I'm not in a hurry to acquire citizenship, I must admit that receiving the cancellation was disheartening. Nonetheless, it doesn't matter now. My main focus is to reapply this week so that we can join the June group.

Thank you for your understanding, and I look forward to the next steps in this process.

Last edited:

Dr. Walden

Apr 27, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Hello there,

It's great to hear from you, my friend.

Just to provide you with some updates, she held an open work permit from June 2017 until August 2020 when she became a permanent resident. We submitted our application in November 2022.

According to the calculator, she has accumulated 1120 days and is eligible for citizenship. However, they have already refunded me for the previous application. I plan to apply again online for myself and my son this week. As for my wife, I will wait until she has completed 1095 days after obtaining permanent residency, which should be around September.

While I'm not in a hurry to acquire citizenship, I must admit that receiving the cancellation was disheartening. Nonetheless, it doesn't matter now. My main focus is to reapply this week so that we can join the June group.

Thank you for your understanding, and I look forward to the next steps in this process.
What the heck? Have you figured out where was the miscalculation with the physical presence (if it was a miscalculation)?

• Sad
Reactions: Jalalcananda

Dr. Walden

Apr 27, 2020
Vancouver, BC
I reviewed it. It does not look like a mistake at all. Anyway, I let it go and will not think about it anymore. IRCC sucks :(
That grinds my gears! It will set you back for not too long. Good thing that you will get a new design passport and, probably, a self-administered oath. So it shouldn't take too long.
When I was preparing my application, I thoroughly reviewed my physical presence, qualifications, and prerequisites with an immigration lawyer. And even after, the immigration lawyer then told me that there is no guarantee and that IRCC works and makes decisions on a whim. Incompetency grinds my gears! But I will give them the benefit of the doubt.