+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

November 2022 - Citizenship Applications

KAulakh

Mar 12, 2020
Is any one knw why tracker app is not working i got oath on 22 aug from the last week i tried to login its just loading nothing else .
I tried alot is any reason why this happen .

KAulakh

Mar 12, 2020
One more question , all my oath and E- cerificate email got to my representative so can i downlaod the cerificate my self or my representative have to download . If any one kne please reply me

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Hi guys, I applied november 12, 2022. I received my notice to appear for oath ceremony on aug 23,2023. Unfortunately i will not be able to attend the ceremony because i have planned for a vacation to india from sept 1st to oct 7th. I wrote an email to the email address specified in the rescheduling section of the invite pdf. Today i got a replay back saying the following

You have been sent a Notice to Appear for the Oath of Citizenship under sections 13.2(1)(b) and 23.1 of the Citizenship Act. Please note the Notice to Appear is not an invitation as there is no discretion on whether or not to attend.

A request to reschedule a Citizenship Ceremony event is only considered under exceptional circumstances, ie death of an immediate family member, hospitalization of an immediate family member, or other situation of emergency/ critical nature etc. Each request must be made in writing and must be accompanied by the supporting documentation ie death certificates, doctor’s notes, or any documentation to support the request, etc.

If you feel that your circumstance warrants review under this criteria you may submit a request via email to this address. This request should clearly outline why your situation is exceptional and needs to have all supporting documentation included when you submit the request. Once received it will be reviewed and you will be notified whether your request will be accommodated.

If you have already missed your Citizenship Ceremony, please submit a detailed explanation as to why you were unable to attend and include any documentation you may have to support your request.”

i saw a lot of people in the forum saying they were able to reschedule easily but not sure why my request was given a response like this.

any suggestions on what to do next?
Do not under any circumstances miss your ceremony now that you have gotten this response. Yes, they are correct - Notice to Appear - is not an invitation and it's the officers discretion as to reschedule. Some are strict and some are not. Go ahead, and ask for e-certificate and apply for urgent passport with next business day pick up (it's going to cost you $$).

Also, prepare to delay your departure date as you see fit because you will need to apply for an e-visa (tourist) 4 business days before your arrival in India. You do not need to surrender your Indian passport to obtain an e-visa. DO NOT travel on your Indian Passport once you complete your oath.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/fees/passport-canada.html
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html

Reactions: rockstarcg90

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
One more question , all my oath and E- cerificate email got to my representative so can i downlaod the cerificate my self or my representative have to download . If any one kne please reply me
Your representative is required to forward your Oath invite e-mail and instructions to download your e-certificate to you. You will need to create an account on the IRCC portal to download the e-cert. Make sure you verify your e-mail with the clerk during the check-in process before your oath - you will need to use this exact e-mail to create an account on the IRCC portal.

Congrats!

KAulakh

Mar 12, 2020
Your representative is required to forward your Oath invite e-mail and instructions to download your e-certificate to you. You will need to create an account on the IRCC portal to download the e-cert. Make sure you verify your e-mail with the clerk during the check-in process before your oath - you will need to use this exact e-mail to create an account on the IRCC portal.

Congrats!
Thankyou

canmench

Mar 31, 2023
Is any one knw why tracker app is not working i got oath on 22 aug from the last week i tried to login its just loading nothing else .
I tried alot is any reason why this happen .
You can email them and let them know your tracker is not working
That happened to me as well.

prathic

Jun 2, 2019
Do not under any circumstances miss your ceremony now that you have gotten this response. Yes, they are correct - Notice to Appear - is not an invitation and it's the officers discretion as to reschedule. Some are strict and some are not. Go ahead, and ask for e-certificate and apply for urgent passport with next business day pick up (it's going to cost you $$).

Also, prepare to delay your departure date as you see fit because you will need to apply for an e-visa (tourist) 4 business days before your arrival in India. You do not need to surrender your Indian passport to obtain an e-visa. DO NOT travel on your Indian Passport once you complete your oath.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/fees/passport-canada.html
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html
Thanks for your response! I have sent another email to request another date for oath ceremony and also submitted a web form. Not sure if it will work but just hoping.

how long does it generally take to get the e-certificate? I know the oath ceremony invite pdf says it take 2-5 business days but will i be able to request the oath officer to expedite my e-certificate and get it the same day? If i can do that i will be able to meet my timelines

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Thanks for your response! I have sent another email to request another date for oath ceremony and also submitted a web form. Not sure if it will work but just hoping.

how long does it generally take to get the e-certificate? I know the oath ceremony invite pdf says it take 2-5 business days but will i be able to request the oath officer to expedite my e-certificate and get it the same day? If i can do that i will be able to meet my timelines
Good luck with your second attempt to postpone your oath! However, It is highly recommended you keep your oath date as the next one could take up to 6 months from when you submit your proof of return to Canada (boarding pass).

e-certificate takes 2-5 business days officially as you stated. Some people have had success downloading it the next day. You'll need to apply for your passport once you get your e-cert. Expediting depends on your luck but they will not guarantee it

Please be aware that you will need to apply for your e-visa (tourist) for your trip to India only once you receive your Canadian passport. This could be 3-6 business days after oath assuming you apply for your passport the same day you get your e-cert and pay for next business day pick-up. Since India requires you to apply 4 business days before your trip (remember India is 10h30 ahead) - ensure you take into account the time difference before figure out the amount of time you will need to delay the start time of your trip.

Again, DO NOT travel on your Indian passport once you are done with oath as Indian Passport Act 1967 provides for automatic loss of citizenship upon voluntarily taking up citizenship of another country. After oath, you are no longer an Indian citizen and have lost your entitlement to use your Indian passport and any protections and privileges that come with it.

fpalazzo

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017

I tried to reschedule mine and got same response. I gave up, since I've been waiting for this for a while, my vacation can wait a couple more weeks.
** I did not have my flights booked, so I could not submit proof anyways.
On a side note, I already got an email with instructions on how to download e-certificate... Once I have it, I will apply for passport - urgent pickup, which costs $110 extra.

Reactions: prathic

prathic

Jun 2, 2019
I tried to reschedule mine and got same response. I gave up, since I've been waiting for this for a while, my vacation can wait a couple more weeks.
** I did not have my flights booked, so I could not submit proof anyways.
On a side note, I already got an email with instructions on how to download e-certificate... Once I have it, I will apply for passport - urgent pickup, which costs $110 extra.
Yes, I plan to do the same and hope to get the e-certificate within one or two days to meet my vacation schedule.

Reactions: fpalazzo

sarvesh90

Jun 18, 2018
Good luck with your second attempt to postpone your oath! However, It is highly recommended you keep your oath date as the next one could take up to 6 months from when you submit your proof of return to Canada (boarding pass).

e-certificate takes 2-5 business days officially as you stated. Some people have had success downloading it the next day. You'll need to apply for your passport once you get your e-cert. Expediting depends on your luck but they will not guarantee it

Please be aware that you will need to apply for your e-visa (tourist) for your trip to India only once you receive your Canadian passport. This could be 3-6 business days after oath assuming you apply for your passport the same day you get your e-cert and pay for next business day pick-up. Since India requires you to apply 4 business days before your trip (remember India is 10h30 ahead) - ensure you take into account the time difference before figure out the amount of time you will need to delay the start time of your trip.

Again, DO NOT travel on your Indian passport once you are done with oath as Indian Passport Act 1967 provides for automatic loss of citizenship upon voluntarily taking up citizenship of another country. After oath, you are no longer an Indian citizen and have lost your entitlement to use your Indian passport and any protections and privileges that come with it.
Can you provide some links that confirm your last statement? I have read about grace period to travel on Indian passport for upto 3 months after you assume citizenship of another country. Not sure about the exact circumstances.

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Can you provide some links that confirm your last statement? I have read about grace period to travel on Indian passport for upto 3 months after you assume citizenship of another country. Not sure about the exact circumstances.
Indian Citizenship Act 1955:

Section 9 in the Citizenship Act, 1955
9. Termination of citizenship.—
(1) Any citizen of India who by naturalisation, registration otherwise voluntarily acquires, or has at any time between the 26th January, 1950 and the commencement of this Act, voluntarily acquired the citizenship of another country shall, upon such acquisition or, as the case may be, such commencement, cease to be a citizen of India: Provided that nothing in this sub-section shall apply to a citizen of India who, during any war in which India may be engaged, voluntarily acquires, the citizenship of another country, until the Central Government otherwise directs.
(2) If any question arises as to whether, when or how any 1[citizen of India] has acquired the citizenship of another country, it shall be determined by such authority, in such manner, and having regard to such rules of evidence, as may be prescribed in this behalf.

https://www.indiacode.nic.in/bitstream/123456789/4210/1/Citizenship_Act_1955.pdf

sarvesh90

Jun 18, 2018
Indian Citizenship Act 1955:

Section 9 in the Citizenship Act, 1955
9. Termination of citizenship.—
(1) Any citizen of India who by naturalisation, registration otherwise voluntarily acquires, or has at any time between the 26th January, 1950 and the commencement of this Act, voluntarily acquired the citizenship of another country shall, upon such acquisition or, as the case may be, such commencement, cease to be a citizen of India: Provided that nothing in this sub-section shall apply to a citizen of India who, during any war in which India may be engaged, voluntarily acquires, the citizenship of another country, until the Central Government otherwise directs.
(2) If any question arises as to whether, when or how any 1[citizen of India] has acquired the citizenship of another country, it shall be determined by such authority, in such manner, and having regard to such rules of evidence, as may be prescribed in this behalf.

https://www.indiacode.nic.in/bitstream/123456789/4210/1/Citizenship_Act_1955.pdf
Thank you. I have also read some people here suggest that it would be better to travel to India after the oath ceremony WITHOUT applying for Canadian passport - and as such, apply for it at Canadian embassy in India.

This is because it is prohibited to travel on India passport (barring the 3 months grace period) only if you have NOT acquired passport of another country.

So many confusing claims here, not sure which ones are true. Even the MoEA website has contradictory information.