+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

November - 2019 Citizenship Applications

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
I agree that they should abolish the requirement for tests in the Covid-19 environment.
Its crazy to say it but not a chance this will happen given they are already uptight about online testing. You know, just thinking about this, testing is the stupidest reason why this process isn't going ahead. It's the dumbest part of the whole process and it doesn't speak much at all about the candidate. If it was something like in-person interviews then sure I could understand the whole uncertainty in order to preserve integrity of the process. But a stupid test that anyone with half a brain could pass seems like an extremely odd thing to waste tax money and people's time on.

You know you're totally right: they should have abolished the requirement temporarily. If I was applying back in March when everything shut down, it would have been a total no-brainer that something like removing test requirements temporarily would be instated.

Reactions: zumbagirl

zumbagirl

Mar 15, 2016
Things seem to be moving. People are overwhelmed with this uncertain and stressfull situation.

Seems like people are starting to organize and plan with each other on social media. Here is an example of their action plan.

the feds temporarily delayed/suspended:
-tax deadlines
-EI qualification requirements
-commercial rent
all in the tune of $340B

why on the earth they cannot cancel requirements for the test and the live oath during this covid mess, saving money to immigration Canada and moving PRs out of this legal limbo. Dont think that anything will be resolved anytime soon if they try to do it on their old way.

this what the online communities should be advocating for

zumbagirl

Mar 15, 2016
Its crazy to say it but not a chance this will happen given they are already uptight about online testing. You know, just thinking about this, testing is the stupidest reason why this process isn't going ahead. It's the dumbest part of the whole process and it doesn't speak much at all about the candidate. If it was something like in-person interviews then sure I could understand the whole uncertainty in order to preserve integrity of the process. But a stupid test that anyone with half a brain could pass seems like an extremely odd thing to waste tax money and people's time on.

You know you're totally right: they should have abolished the requirement temporarily. If I was applying back in March when everything shut down, it would have been a total no-brainer that something like removing test requirements temporarily would be instated.
write to your MP!!!

https://www.ourcommons.ca/Members/en/constituencies?caucusId=all&province=ON

acerbico423

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
nothing

the federal departments have been back to work at a 50% level since July so I doint really understand what immigration is doing...
in my opinion they should simply cancel tests as covid exception and move to oat in the form of an affidative/letter. Then once the situation is back to normal (in 2022 or so) they can go back to the current antiquated system (paper testing, in person oath)
Anyway citizenship test is joke, it is just another an unnecessary administrative hurdle! have you ever heard a person not receiving citizenship becacuse of failing the test????
Citizenship tests are important for any country to assess if the person applying meets the basic requirements. Even if it appears useless, it is not in the eyes of the immigration department because they can just ask these questions online without monitoring the candidates but they are not doing so because they apparently trust their systems and want the candidates to answer the questions without cheating.

Switzerland has a rigorous assessment process compared to Canada where they actually check if the person has assimilated well, has friends in the community where he lives, etc. if Canada does away with the test, the right-wing would go crazy (crazier).

To put it simply, if tomorrow someone asks "This person is a citizen, I don't think they show any Canadian values. Did you assess if they were fit to be a Canadian citizen?"...the immigration department could point them to the testing and interview that they undertake before vetting an applicant.

Also, many have failed citizenship tests in the past. You cannot give someone a 'temporary citizenship' till they can test the candidate. It opens a new can of worms if you dare I say 'revoke' the citizenship if candidates fail the test. It is easier to make someone wait for something rather than give them something and then take it back. Although I am not sure, I think any change to the citizenship process like the introduction of 'temporary citizenship' would probably need to be passed as a bill.

Last edited:

JCrules

Oct 1, 2015
Citizenship tests are important for any country to assess if the person applying meets the basic requirements. Even if it appears useless, it is not in the eyes of the immigration department because they can just ask these questions online without monitoring the candidates but they are not doing so because they apparently trust their systems and want the candidates to answer the questions without cheating. Switzerland has a rigorous assessment process compared to Canada where they actually check if the person has assimilated well, has friends in the community where he lives, etc. if Canada does away with the test, the right-wing would go crazy (crazier).
To put it simply, if tomorrow someone asks "This person is a citizen, I don't think they show any Canadian values. Did you assess if they were fit to be a Canadian citizen?"...the immigration department could point them to the testing and interview that they undertake before vetting an applicant.
Also, many have failed citizenship tests in the past.
The thing that frustrates me the most is the IRCC’s lack of decency to communicate things properly. If people have paid for a service you owe it to them to at least communicate properly instead of going silent.

Reactions: s23srinivas

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Citizenship tests are important for any country to assess if the person applying meets the basic requirements. Even if it appears useless, it is not in the eyes of the immigration department because they can just ask these questions online without monitoring the candidates but they are not doing so because they apparently trust their systems and want the candidates to answer the questions without cheating.

Switzerland has a rigorous assessment process compared to Canada where they actually check if the person has assimilated well, has friends in the community where he lives, etc. if Canada does away with the test, the right-wing would go crazy (crazier).

Also, many have failed citizenship tests in the past. You cannot give someone a 'temporary citizenship' till they can test the candidate. It opens a new can of worms if you dare I say 'revoke' the citizenship if candidates fail the test. It is easier to make someone wait for something rather than give them something and then take it back. Although I am not sure, I think any change to the citizenship process like the introduction of 'temporary citizenship' would probably need to be passed as a bill.
I agreed with you on this, but this is a very difficult time we are all facing and exceptional time necessitates exceptional measures. Today Alberta announces that grade 12 exams is optional now. Because of the impact of the virus on students and education system.
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/grade-12-diploma-exams-to-be-optional-for-alberta-students-education-minister-1.5143108?utm_medium=trueAnthem&fbclid=IwAR1bq_6fR-vNwjT5zTJj5CRPAJlInVQ9zJjwRhHr-Iqu_6k7mOHrsxUgP9o&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_source=facebook&cid=sm:trueanthem:ctvedmonton:manualpost
This is something more serious, student's future and career depends on this. If they can make exception for grade 12 exams ( which is more serious than taking citizenship tests) I don't see why not make an exception for citizenship test. What ever they need to do to make that exception legal they can do it , we can't stop living because of covid and they can't stop the test for ever and waiting for the virus to go away.

Last edited:
Reactions: zumbagirl

AmynD

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO (VCM)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-Sept-2014
AOR Received.
07-Jan-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
30-Oct-2015
Med's Done....
16-Nov-2015
Passport Req..
Waiting

zumbagirl

Mar 15, 2016

Sorry man,
this is utter and complete nonsense!
people indeed fail tests but guess what they re-take it. (or go to the citizenship judge). Do you think dragging, usually, not highly educated, often elderly people through the mud makes them better, more loyal citizens???

Just for the record citizenship test is NOT assessing loyalty, nor the alignment with Canadian fundamental values (which is being probed for example in Switzerland). It is just a test nothing more nothing less.

During these extraordinary times countries got rid of many silly administrative processes, just think about all the changes they did in canada about access to social benefits... in the same time nothing has been done with the citizenship process.

Administering citizenship test is NOT a law nor the live oath ceremony it is a departmental Regulation. (Just google the difference between Acts and Regulations.) Changing it would be trivial from a process point of view... DONT NEED Parliament etc. just Immigration Canada acting in responsible manner...
Immigration Canada has not been able to develop a realistic workaround in 7 months. THey should simply suspend the requirement until they actually able to administer the test. And for the oath, just mail out the documents and you can sign the dotted line.

Move on, act in a civilized, compassionate manner Immigration Canada! it is not difficult :)

Reactions: nicolass

ajay1979

May 28, 2019
Got a Call From Canadian Armed Forces waiting for last step i.e Test and Ceremony .

It is a Dream Job for me .

Physically and mentally prepared for to join Canadian Armed forces ,

I am keeping my finger crossed this month or next month I should hear from them .

I am looking forward to become a proud citizen and CAF member .

Good Luck everyone ::)

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
Got a Call From Canadian Armed Forces waiting for last step i.e Test and Ceremony .

It is a Dream Job for me .

Physically and mentally prepared for to join Canadian Armed forces ,

I am keeping my finger crossed this month or next month I should hear from them .

I am looking forward to become a proud citizen and CAF member .

Good Luck everyone ::)
there is any old saying: good iron won't become hammer...

davidmarsden38

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2012
File Transfer...
16-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-10-2013 (extended)
Passport Req..
Exempt
After waiting nearly the 12 months, I have reached out to my local MP here in Vancouver to assist with help getting answers as my questions have gone unanswered for a long time. Has anyone else done this?

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
After waiting nearly the 12 months, I have reached out to my local MP here in Vancouver to assist with help getting answers as my questions have gone unanswered for a long time. Has anyone else done this?
let's play the "wait to see who dies first" game with IRCC

davidmarsden38

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2012
File Transfer...
16-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-10-2013 (extended)
Passport Req..
Exempt
So after hearing back from my MP's office here in Vancouver, I managed to get an update as to what stage they were at in regards to my application. Seems it is here in Vancouver and the emboldened point below is the current stage:
  • The application was received at the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia, on November 13, 2019.
  • The application was transferred to the Vancouver IRCC office for further processing.
  • The criminality verifications are currently valid.
  • The security verifications are currently valid.
  • The immigration verifications have not been initiated.
  • The responsible office is currently reviewing the application and the next step would be the citizenship test.
  • If the application is approved:
    • the next step is to wait for the ceremony appointment. At the ceremony, the applicant will take the oath and receive their citizenship certificate.
  • If the application is refused:
    • a refusal letter will be sent to the applicant to inform them of the decision, and
    • the Right of Citizenship Fee will be refunded.

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
So after hearing back from my MP's office here in Vancouver, I managed to get an update as to what stage they were at in regards to my application. Seems it is here in Vancouver and the emboldened point below is the current stage:
  • The application was received at the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia, on November 13, 2019.
  • The application was transferred to the Vancouver IRCC office for further processing.
  • The criminality verifications are currently valid.
  • The security verifications are currently valid.
  • The immigration verifications have not been initiated.
  • The responsible office is currently reviewing the application and the next step would be the citizenship test.
  • If the application is approved:
    • the next step is to wait for the ceremony appointment. At the ceremony, the applicant will take the oath and receive their citizenship certificate.
  • If the application is refused:
    • a refusal letter will be sent to the applicant to inform them of the decision, and
    • the Right of Citizenship Fee will be refunded.
can you share the email you contact with?