+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

November - 2019 Citizenship Applications

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
When I take the oath I guess my PR Card will be canceled, how do I enter to the country?
Please do NOT assume you can take oath outside Canada (and please ignore what the OP said). There have been no reports of that happening and the content on the IRCC website doesn't conclusively suggest you can take oath outside Canada. Unless there are some confirmed reports like IRCC documents or email explicitly permitting the applicant who applied for citizenship grant under 5(1) to take oath outside Canada, it is best to assume you must be physically present in Canada for oath.

To get back to Canada as a Canadian citizen, you need a Canadian passport. To get a Canadian passport, you need a Canadian Citizenship Certificate. The Canadian Citizenship certificate will not arrive until a few days/weeks after the oath ceremony. You can't use your PR card after you've become a Canadian citizen (and you'll have to destroy it at the end of the ceremony in front of the camera). These are the problems that makes me doubt if IRCC will allow applicants to take oath outside Canada.

If you are outside Canada and you get an oath invitation, follow the instructions on the IRCC website and see what IRCC has to say. Then follow whatever they ask you to do. And IRCC responds to your email, please post an update on the forum and update us so that we know what the procedure is and if IRCC actually allows Citizenship grant applications who applied under 5(1) to take oath outside Canada.

Wish you good luck!

Last edited:

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
When I take the oath I guess my PR Card will be canceled, how do I enter to the country?
They seem to make exceptions regarding oath from outside Canada, which means they must have a protocol to enter Canada if they agreed for you to take the oath outside Canada. I would contact them and ask about this. If you do this, report back to know what they say. I am interested in knowing this because I may leave Canada later this year.

btoronto

Star Member
May 6, 2014
Hey guys I have few questions:
Yesterday a got an update about my process, physical present, language and prohibitions are now "Completed", Does that mean the Decision was Made?
Also, I have a trip out of the country for the whole month of august, if my trip coincides with my ceremony, Could I take the oath later?
Thank you in advance.
This is a quote from the citizenship oath invite I received:

"By participating in this video oath ceremony, you confirm that you, and any family members associated to your application, will be taking the Oath of citizenship in Canada. If you are not currently in Canada, contact us as soon as possible in order that we reschedule your ceremony."

CITU

Star Member
May 16, 2017
Hey guys I have few questions:
Yesterday a got an update about my process, physical present, language and prohibitions are now "Completed", Does that mean the Decision was Made?
Also, I have a trip out of the country for the whole month of august, if my trip coincides with my ceremony, Could I take the oath later?
Thank you in advance.
If you are in Toronto, it is likely that your oath will not be until September. I got DM on July 11-ish, and my oath is not until Aug 31.

OliverJ

Jul 20, 2021
Please do NOT assume you can take oath outside Canada (and please ignore what the OP said). There have been no reports of that happening and the content on the IRCC website doesn't conclusively suggest you can take oath outside Canada. Unless there are some confirmed reports like IRCC documents or email explicitly permitting the applicant who applied for citizenship grant under 5(1) to take oath outside Canada, it is best to assume you must be physically present in Canada for oath.

To get back to Canada as a Canadian citizen, you need a Canadian passport. To get a Canadian passport, you need a Canadian Citizenship Certificate. The Canadian Citizenship certificate will not arrive until a few days/weeks after the oath ceremony. You can't use your PR card after you've become a Canadian citizen (and you'll have to destroy it at the end of the ceremony in front of the camera). These are the problems that makes me doubt if IRCC will allow applicants to take oath outside Canada.

If you are outside Canada and you get an oath invitation, follow the instructions on the IRCC website and see what IRCC has to say. Then follow whatever they ask you to do. And IRCC responds to your email, please post an update on the forum and update us so that we know what the procedure is and if IRCC actually allows Citizenship grant applications who applied under 5(1) to take oath outside Canada.

Wish you good luck!
Thank you so much, I was reading all the information you sent me, hopefully I don't get my ceremony before September.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

OliverJ

Jul 20, 2021
If you are in Toronto, it is likely that your oath will not be until September. I got DM on July 11-ish, and my oath is not until Aug 31.
I am from Vancouver, hopefully September because I will be back in the end of august.

OliverJ

Jul 20, 2021
They seem to make exceptions regarding oath from outside Canada, which means they must have a protocol to enter Canada if they agreed for you to take the oath outside Canada. I would contact them and ask about this. If you do this, report back to know what they say. I am interested in knowing this because I may leave Canada later this year.
As soon I get an update I will posted.

Reactions: CaBeaver

vnexpress

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary:

Both my dad (over 55) and I applied November 2019. I just got test invite today July 21 2021 (originally March 2020 but cancelled).
My dad status shows test completed (waiver granted for his age). Not sure whats next but looks like some movement is finally happening for Calgary.

Anyone knows what they do for people who dont need to do the citizenship test? are they just gonna be invited to Oath?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Calgary:

Both my dad (over 55) and I applied November 2019. I just got test invite today July 21 2021 (originally March 2020 but cancelled).
My dad status shows test completed (waiver granted for his age). Not sure whats next but looks like some movement is finally happening for Calgary.

Anyone knows what they do for people who dont need to do the citizenship test? are they just gonna be invited to Oath?
The next likely step is oath for your dad, yes.

Good luck!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Omg.. It's happening. I was getting impatient as no updates in 2 month after DM. So I sent web message. Today I checked tracker and woohoo invite for the oath ceremony. August 10th early bday present (24TH). haven't received actual email yet but so happy almost to the end..
I've updated the spreadsheet. Please post an update once you receive the oath email, thank you!