+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notifying Alberta Health Services in the case of sabbatical

CelaLopez

Star Member
Jan 25, 2018
Hello.
I became a Permanent Resident last year, after living in AB for 4 years.

I quit my job and went to travel abroad for a few months planning to go back to my life in AB this summer but, unfortunately, I had to come back to my country of origin since my mom passed away and now, I think I'm just going to take this whole year to be with the rest of my family.

I read that one must notify Alberta Health Services if abroad for an extended period of time but I'm wondering in a practical sense what changes in regard to the coverage? I have no problems letting them know but sometimes by "doing the right thing to do" one gets into unforeseen inconveniences as result.

I wonder if it'll have to do with the limited coverage they provide abroad or if it's something just to keep in their records or what.

I also may stop by AB at some point during this year to pick up a few things but nothing is certain yet that's why I don't want to rush into things.

Has anyone had experience with this that can provide some insight?

Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello.
I became a Permanent Resident last year, after living in AB for 4 years.

I quit my job and went to travel abroad for a few months planning to go back to my life in AB this summer but, unfortunately, I had to come back to my country of origin since my mom passed away and now, I think I'm just going to take this whole year to be with the rest of my family.

I read that one must notify Alberta Health Services if abroad for an extended period of time but I'm wondering in a practical sense what changes in regard to the coverage? I have no problems letting them know but sometimes by "doing the right thing to do" one gets into unforeseen inconveniences as result.

I wonder if it'll have to do with the limited coverage they provide abroad or if it's something just to keep in their records or what.

I also may stop by AB at some point during this year to pick up a few things but nothing is certain yet that's why I don't want to rush into things.

Has anyone had experience with this that can provide some insight?

Thanks in advance.
To qualify for healthcare you must meet the residency requirement required to receive healthcare in that province and have a valid health card. If you were to return and not have met the residency requirement and use your health card you could be asked to pay back any healthcare you used if it was every discovered that you had not met the residency requirement. In terms of Alberta, if you haven’t met the RO to qualify for AHS, you’ll be able to receive coverage once you reapply for a new health card but will need to meet the residency requirement for anyone receiving their health card for the first time not subsequent years. There tends to be a longer residency requirement for the 1st year after your receive a health card versus subsequent years. You are also required to notify AHS of any long absences to prevent fraud. Unfortunately there is fraud in the system so people do bill health cards even when a patient hasn’t received healthcare. Would look at the residency requirements to receive healthcare in Alberta (both for the 1st year and for subsequent years) and notify AHS of your absence.

Reactions: CelaLopez

Junaid260

Mar 30, 2023
As a Permanent Resident of Alberta, it is recommended that you notify Alberta Health Services if you are going to be abroad for an extended period of time, even if it is just for travel. This is important for record-keeping purposes and to ensure that your health coverage remains active and up-to-date.

In terms of practical changes to your coverage, it depends on the specific circumstances of your travel and the length of time you will be abroad. Generally, Alberta Health Services provides limited coverage for medical emergencies and necessary medical services while traveling outside of Canada. However, coverage varies depending on the country and the type of service required.

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck78