+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notify CIC of change of common law partnership to marriage

Baskin

Star Member
Aug 14, 2014
Hello guys,
I have a situation that I'll much appreciate if you can help me with.
Me and my girlfriend intend to submit our application ( for Noc 0111) by the beginning of December once she passes the IELTS, We can't get married now for some arrangement reasons BUT we will get married in January 2015. We don't wanna miss the last chance of the federal this year and wanna catch a spot before the mysterious Express entry of 2015. I believe if we file on December 1st, they will start look at it in April or May 2015, so we were thinking to apply as common law partners (and submit some proofs for that in the file But as you all know common law partnership is very hard to proof and it all depends on the officer) and once we get married we notify CIC of our new marital status and mail them the marriage certificate to include it in the file. So when they start working on our file they'll evaluate it as married couple.
What do you guys think? would that work?
Thanks for help

RomanSPb

Jul 19, 2014
Calgary, AB, Canada
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-JUL-2014
AOR Received.
01-DEC-2014
Med's Request
12-FEB-2014
Med's Done....
20-FEB-2014
Passport Req..
26-MAR-2014
LANDED..........
26-10-2015
Baskin said:
Hello guys,
I have a situation that I'll much appreciate if you can help me with.
Me and my girlfriend intend to submit our application ( for Noc 0111) by the beginning of December once she passes the IELTS, We can't get married now for some arrangement reasons BUT we will get married in January 2015. We don't wanna miss the last chance of the federal this year and wanna catch a spot before the mysterious Express entry of 2015. I believe if we file on December 1st, they will start look at it in April or May 2015, so we were thinking to apply as common law partners (and submit some proofs for that in the file But as you all know common law partnership is very hard to proof and it all depends on the officer) and once we get married we notify CIC of our new marital status and mail them the marriage certificate to include it in the file. So when they start working on our file they'll evaluate it as married couple.
What do you guys think? would that work?
Thanks for help
Hello,
The overall situation is okay and quite common. However, if you initial package does not include your marriage certificate, you will be considered as common-law partners and you will have to provide sufficient evidence and documents supporting your long-lasting firm relations (e.g. joint bank account, bills with your names and common address and stuff like that). You can also explain your situation and express your intentions to get married in the cover letter. Once married, prepare updated forms and send'em along with your marriage certificate. It will be included in your filed and taken into account.