+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notice to Appear - any indication for actual citizenship interview?

InnaBB

Jul 11, 2017
We've got Notice to Appear for Verification of Identity/Documents scheduled for beginning of July 2018. Based on this date, can any estimation be made regarding when the actual interview for citizenship will be approximately scheduled? (no language test due to the age of applicants).
Thank you.

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
We've got Notice to Appear for Verification of Identity/Documents scheduled for beginning of July 2018. Based on this date, can any estimation be made regarding when the actual interview for citizenship will be approximately scheduled? (no language test due to the age of applicants).
Thank you.
What is the exact wording?

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
I believe it's a standard Notice?

NOTICE TO APPEAR: TO WRITE A CITIZENSHIP TEST AND/OR FOR VERIFICATION OF IDENTITY/DOCUMENTS
Yeah, that's normal. You have to take the test which is 20 questions, 15 or above is a pass (unless you don't have to take the test), then they go over your history and verify your documents. Bring everything that you sent with your application so they can verify everything.

InnaBB

Jul 11, 2017
Yeah, that's normal. You have to take the test which is 20 questions, 15 or above is a pass (unless you don't have to take the test), then they go over your history and verify your documents. Bring everything that you sent with your application so they can verify everything.
I've wrote above that no language test requirements due to the age. So, my question was not about the test, my question was whether it's possible to estimate citizenship interview dates?

Also, do people who do not speak English have to bring an interpreter to their Identity Documents interview?

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
I've wrote above that no language test requirements due to the age. So, my question was not about the test, my question was whether it's possible to estimate citizenship interview dates?

Also, do people who do not speak English have to bring an interpreter to their Identity Documents interview?
The date for the interview is the same date as the test. I don't know the answer to the interpreter question, so I'll defer for someone else to answer that.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thank you.
YES, THIS IS "THE INTERVIEW:"

As others have noted, it is apparent you have received the notice for your "interview." IRCC information variously refers to the interview as a verification of documents interview or a "program integrity (PI) interview." The label does not matter.

It appears they have improved the notice to at least make it clear that the notice is for the test and interview, OR for one or the other, using the "AND/OR" in the notice. As I say, this is an improvement. When I received the notice it explicitly stated I was receiving notice for when I would take the test AND be interviewed, even though I too was test and language exempt (due to age, albeit under the old law). I trusted I would not actually need to take the test but was confident that I would easily pass it anyway if I did (my partner insisted I learn a great deal about Canada).

BRINGING AN INTERPRETER TO THE INTERVIEW:

My understanding is that, yes, the applicant who is language and test exempt can be accompanied by an interpreter during the interview. I believe that it is the applicant's responsibility to bring an interpreter if one is needed, AND to be sure the interpreter is qualified.

See https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/interview/interpreter/officers-persons-acting-interpreters-instructions-case-processing-agents.html

This is the Program Delivery Instruction titled "Persons acting as interpreters (instructions for citizenship officers and case processing agents)"

On one hand this PDI states that the person acting as an interpreter
  • should be at least 18 years old;
  • should not have a citizenship application in progress;
  • must have sufficient knowledge of English or French to communicate with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) officials; and
  • must be able to provide the required assistance.
While it otherwise says that the first two of these criteria are "strongly recommended" (suggesting they are not strictly required), it is my impression that it is important that the person acting as an interpreter NOT have a citizenship application in process.

The PDI goes into deep detail about screening the interpreter. As long as your interpreter substantially meets the criteria above no need to worry about those details. An adult family member, or friend, who does not have a citizenship application in process and who is fairly fluent in English or French should easily be OK to act as an interpreter.

For the PDI about the Interview see:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/interviewing-adult-applicants.html