+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notice of Termination Length and Dispute

dtopp

May 9, 2013
Due to unforeseen circumstances (both financial, and the fact that we no longer needed her services) , we released our live-in caregiver who has been with us for 18 months. Our employment contract, that both parties agreed upon and signed during the LMO application process, explicitly indicates the typical 2 weeks termination notice. We gave her the 2 weeks termination notice and paid her out two weeks wages so she can have time to search for a new job, etc. without the need to watch our children. She now claims that "normally, termination notice is 4 weeks for live-in nannies", and that we verbally agreed to change it to 4 weeks when she first started with us. At the time we released her she did not bring this up, and it is only now, a couple of weeks later, that we hear about it.

I honestly cannot recall ever having that discussion or modifying our contract. We don't have any record of a modified contract, nor does she. However, she claims that she is now entitled to two more weeks of pay. I understand her situation and the need for money, but we are also tight financially and cannot afford to just hand over two weeks pay based on hearsay. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this issue?

Thanks!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
dtopp said:
Due to unforeseen circumstances (both financial, and the fact that we no longer needed her services) , we released our live-in caregiver who has been with us for 18 months. Our employment contract, that both parties agreed upon and signed during the LMO application process, explicitly indicates the typical 2 weeks termination notice. We gave her the 2 weeks termination notice and paid her out two weeks wages so she can have time to search for a new job, etc. without the need to watch our children. She now claims that "normally, termination notice is 4 weeks for live-in nannies", and that we verbally agreed to change it to 4 weeks when she first started with us. At the time we released her she did not bring this up, and it is only now, a couple of weeks later, that we hear about it.

I honestly cannot recall ever having that discussion or modifying our contract. We don't have any record of a modified contract, nor does she. However, she claims that she is now entitled to two more weeks of pay. I understand her situation and the need for money, but we are also tight financially and cannot afford to just hand over two weeks pay based on hearsay. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this issue?

Thanks!
What does your contract state? Ask her to supply proof of the 4 week notice as proof.

If HRSDC allowed you to obtain a LMO and her to obtain a work permit with a 2 week notice clause, then it's perfectly legal and acceptable. Most likely your former nanny has friends who have a 4 week clause in their contract and she is feeling bad because she didn't ask for the same.

Without proof, she has no backing. Do not pay her a penny or give in to any demands, even if they seem harmless. They could become a liability if she tries to take you to court. I suggest writing a letter asking for proof and having it delivered signature required to her current address and/or emailing to her known email with a BCC to yourself and your wife (and lawyer if you decide to engage one). Give her a notice (30 days) to produce the written changes to the contract. If she does not produce them after 30 days, but she still persists in contacting you, issue her a cease and desist letter in the same manner as above.

Keep in mind a verbal contract only exists (in some places) if the parties act like it. That is why I'm saying do not give in to any demands.

However, you cannot withhold tax and/or pay related paperwork she needs for her taxes - but she must keep you informed of her current address. So you might want to include a little blurb in the letter reminding her you will need her current address next year to issue her tax information and she can update you by email or writing, but no phone calls please. You do have the right, I believe, to deny her an employer letter, however, if she were to ask one. I don't believe (but I'm not 100%) you are obligated to write her one, as her paystubs and tax documents are a suitable substitute.

On her side, she's probably very upset to be let go only 6 months short of qualifying to apply for her PR. I can understand why she's upset and frankly, I'm not exactly happy when I see an employer make a commitment and fall short of it - especially when something as important as the PR is at stake. But you have your reasons and that's that.

Lastly, do not participate in any more verbal discussions. (Unless she's still living in your home, that would be weird...) Make everything written only and let her know you will only acceptable written communication from now on.

dtopp

May 9, 2013
Thank you very much Amikety. We certainly appreciate your insights.

We have given her all of the tax and payroll paperwork that she requested, including the contract that states "2 weeks notice of termination". I will definitely send her a letter asking for this "revised" contract as I don't have one. She claims that we spoke over it and that there was agreement that it will change - but as I mentioned before, I do not recall ever having that conversation. We have always been up front with everything and have supplied her with documents whenever she asked for them. If this change was made, she would have had a copy for her records - or else she would have asked for it sometime in the last 16 months. I am pretty good about combing through contracts and "crossing the t's and dotting the i's", and I am certain that if we did revise it, the revision would be shown in the original document with both of our initials beside it.

mhicz08

Apr 7, 2011
Plz help naman po... :( :(
Me and my my friend gott problem with our former boss soon po kasi matatanggap na namin yung new work permit namin kaso nanakot po sila na binigyan daw po nila kami ng problem pag nag resign kami natatakot po tuloy kami

Skilled worker po un dati ko work permit ano po ba dapat namin gawin nag wo-worried na po kasi kami nag papa rinig po sila na binigyan nila kami problem help naman po plz any advice po plz :( :(