+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notice of Assessment issued by CRA if not lived in Canada that year

maplezone

Mar 2, 2015
Dear Experts,

I had a query regarding income tax filing. Can someone still file an income tax return for the year he/she was not present in Canada / didn't visit Canada at all in that particular year but was a permanent resident of Canada ? If no, then how can one have a Notice of Assessment issued by the CRA ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is no need for you to file taxes in Canada as a PR if you have not been in Canada and you have no links to Canada like spouses or dependent children living in Canada, property in Canada, etc. Is there a reason you would like to file taxes?

maplezone

Mar 2, 2015
There is no need for you to file taxes in Canada as a PR if you have not been in Canada and you have no links to Canada like spouses or dependent children living in Canada, property in Canada, etc. Is there a reason you would like to file taxes?
Yes, I applied for an OSAP and they ask me to submit the NOA for the last year from CRA and to have that I need to file the tax. Therefore, I was concerned if I can file the tax with no income in Canada , though I didn't visit Canada for the whole year for which they are asking an NOA. I mean , is it legally okay to file tax , even if you were not present in canada even for a single day ? OR what should I do in this scenario ? Please suggest..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, I applied for an OSAP and they ask me to submit the NOA for the last year from CRA and to have that I need to file the tax. Therefore, I was concerned if I can file the tax with no income in Canada , though I didn't visit Canada for the whole year for which they are asking an NOA. I mean , is it legally okay to file tax , even if you were not present in canada even for a single day ? OR what should I do in this scenario ? Please suggest..
'if you are applying for OSAP they want to see what your income was for last year. You should mention that you were not living in Canada and whether you can submit proof of international income.

maplezone

Mar 2, 2015
'if you are applying for OSAP they want to see what your income was for last year. You should mention that you were not living in Canada and whether you can submit proof of international income.
Ok. But, can't I simply file the tax for the year I was not present in Canada and submit an NOA ? As a factual resident or something ? I read something under the link below, please have a look at it.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/living-abroad/taxation

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok. But, can't I simply file the tax for the year I was not present in Canada and submit an NOA ? As a factual resident or something ? I read something under the link below, please have a look at it.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/living-abroad/taxation
Sure you can file taxes if you want. If you are applying OSAP you still need to tell them how much you made last year plus other information. You qualify for OSAP based on your previous income and assets in general.

maplezone

Mar 2, 2015
Sure you can file taxes if you want. If you are applying OSAP you still need to tell them how much you made last year plus other information. You qualify for OSAP based on your previous income and assets in general.
Alright, though I don't have any property or any family over here as well.