+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notice of Assessment: CRA debt due to bankruptcy/consumer proposal?

soucal

May 26, 2010
To sponsor a parent, one must provide Notices of Assessment (NOA) from CRA for 3 recent taxation years.

I have earned in excess of LICO+30% for each of the 3 recent years but, for a number of reasons, I have not filed my returns.

I'm filing them right now but I'm afraid I might not be able to pay my taxes in full.

I might end up with one of the following:

— bankruptcy: taxes are discharged (unpaid)
— consumer proposal: only a percentage of taxes is paid
— taxpayer relief: taxes are paid, but penalties and interest are waived
— payment plan: taxes owed are to be paid in full over the next several years

Will the above conditions be reflected in my Notices of Assessment?

Will this affect my ability to sponsor a parent? Does Canada Immigration care that I was not able to pay taxes in full or does it only care what my pre-tax income was?

Will it matter to Canada Immigration that I filed tax returns a couple of years late?

P. S. I know that if I declare bankruptcy I have to wait 9 months for it to be discharged before I can sponsor. My question here is specifically about bankruptcy due to CRA debt, not any debt.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
The only debts I'm aware of that can affect sponsorship eligibility, are outstanding debts for previous immigration loans, child support or alimony. I don't think CRA debt for tax purposes has any effect on sponsorship.

If you want to apply to lottery to sponsor parents in 2019, you'll need to make sure your income on tax returns for 2016,2017,2018 all are over LICO for yoru family size. If selected in lottery you'll also need to make sure tax returns show income meeting LICO for 2019 and going forward until parents PR is approved.

Note in full bankruptcy the 9 months discharge is not in all cases. If your income during the bankruptcy is higher (surplus income) the discharge can be extended to 21 months.