+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notes from Discover Canada - Preparation for the Citizenship Test

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys,

How many questions were about dates (year)?
For me, none directly. However there might be a question about the sequence of events (what happened first, or what happened last) which is indirectly related to dates I guess

vision86

Sep 15, 2020
Hello Folks, I completed the test recently and thought of sharing some insight on the process and some useful tips that might help others.

Prep work:

Browser

• I used Google Chrome (Safari is also ok)
  • I uninstalled all the add-ons/plug-ins like Adblock, Popup Blocker, VPN etc. from the browser (use a clean version of the browser if possible)
  • Make sure no other tabs are open during the test
  • Clear all cookies and temp files from your browser & system (I use Ccleaner)
  • If you have an external Camera plugged in, make sure to allow this camera to access your browser (usually there is a popup)
  • Check if your camera is working fine by running a test using some of these links; https://webcamtests.com/check or https://webcammictest.com
Internet/Wifi

I have a shared wifi so I didn’t want to take any chances.
  • I use a laptop without a Ethernet port so I purchased a “Ethernet to USB” converter from Amazon (~ $17).
  • If you don’t have a ethernet cable you can purchase this from Amazon for about $12-20 depending on length.
  • I turned on hotspot on the cellphone as a backup incase there is an outage.
  • If you get disconnected during the test you can resume back however the timer will keep running once you have commenced.
Once I had the adapter, plugged it to the laptop and the other end of the ethernet cable into the modem directly and ran a speed test and there were no lags/jitter. Worked like a charm.

I did this additional step to ensure there are no interruptions as Wifi can be intermittent and I have read articles and posts of people whose tests were invalidated due to technical glitches or the photo of ID not being legible. I rather spend $20-$30 on ensuring a stable connection rather than the headache of redoing the test.

Test/Registration

There are about 9 steps in the process, once you enter your credentials you will be emailed a test link. 2 of the steps involve taking photo of your ID(PR card, DL etc).

This was the most time consuming step for me as you only get 15 mins to complete the registration steps from the time the link is emailed to you. If you take more time in getting a clearer photo of the ID, don’t worry, you can restart the steps and you will get a new link. You can try multiple times until you get a clear photo.

Photo of ID & Yourself

I have a very basic built in webcam so the photo quality was not great however I took some steps to get a clear photo. It is not possible to get a 100% clear photo with a basic webcam but as long as most of the text is clear and legible and photo on the ID is clear, you should be good.
  • Avoid light facing your back from behind as this will cause a glare on your screen and Photo of the ID
  • Avoid bright light facing you from the front as this will also cause a glare.
  • Try to be in a moderately bright room with natural light if possible.
  • Practise taking photos with your camera on the laptop/PC and on the webcam test sites mentioned above.
  • Make sure your background is clear of any objects or items/personal effects as much as possible.
  • I turned around with my back facing the wall so the background was clear with only me in sight.
Test

The test was relatively straightforward for the most part, I would say 16 questions were easy and around 4 were tricky.
  • There was nothing pertaining to names of local politicians.
  • You might be asked about what the resources the provinces are known for.
  • You might be asked about the series of historial events (which happened first or last)

For the preparation I started early even before I got the test invite so I had sufficient lead time. I read Discover Canada twice, practised tests on Apna Toronto, Toronto Public Library and Richmond public library and some of the tests mentioned in this thread.

After doing multiple practise tests I would say there were 2 questions which were like a curve ball and not anticipated for me that the practise tests did not cover.

Once the test is over your results are displayed right away. You have the option to email your test results, this is not automatically emailed. I would highly recommend emailing yourself the result for reference.

That was it, hope this helps those who are going to take the test. Good luck!
Thank you!

Reactions: Goldenita

cococly

Aug 3, 2015
Category........
PNP
Doc's Request.
28-FEB-2017
Nomination.....
07-DEC-2016
AOR Received.
18-JAN-2017
Med's Done....
24-DEC-2016
Passport Req..
06-JUN-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-JUN-2017
LANDED..........
00-JUL-2017
Thank You everyone here for sharing resources on preparing the citizenship test.

I passed the test, and I realized that most of the "mock exams" shared here are overly complicated. The actual questions on the official test were much simpler.

vladmirgc

Apr 10, 2014
Thank You everyone here for sharing resources on preparing the citizenship test.

I passed the test, and I realized that most of the "mock exams" shared here are overly complicated. The actual questions on the official test were much simpler.
Exactly my thought. Just passed it, 20/20 right. Mock exams are over-complicating it.
Nobody should be spending more than 1-2 days preparing for it, maximum.

Reactions: Genesis76

champion92_pls

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
Exactly my thought. Just passed it, 20/20 right. Mock exams are over-complicating it.
Was Discover Canada your main resource? also, did you practice on any of the other resources?

I am doing my test this week !

cococly

Aug 3, 2015
Category........
PNP
Doc's Request.
28-FEB-2017
Nomination.....
07-DEC-2016
AOR Received.
18-JAN-2017
Med's Done....
24-DEC-2016
Passport Req..
06-JUN-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-JUN-2017
LANDED..........
00-JUL-2017
Was Discover Canada your main resource? also, did you practice on any of the other resources?

I am doing my test this week !
Yes, Discover Canada alone is enough for the citizenship test.

Perhaps I read lots of materials about WWI and WW2 (enjoyed watching documentary since I was a child), so the test itself wasn't too difficult for me.

I also completed high school here, and some of these stuff were taught in Social Studies.

All those mock tests are too complicated, focus too much on the tiniest bits of details. My actual IRCC citizenship test mainly (your test may differ) ask about the overall ideas of major topics.

• Love
Reactions: champion92_pls

citizentest21

Nov 30, 2021
Hello guys, what exactly is the process once you login to do the citizenship test? I used a representative for sending my application. So once I login to take my test, will the test link be sent to my representative's email or is there an option to send it to our personal one?

Otherwise I would need to take the test when my representative's office is opened.

Please advise.

Thank you

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello guys, what exactly is the process once you login to do the citizenship test? I used a representative for sending my application. So once I login to take my test, will the test link be sent to my representative's email or is there an option to send it to our personal one?

Otherwise I would need to take the test when my representative's office is opened.

Please advise.

Thank you
I believe there is an option to have the code sent to your email address.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Probably because you have nothing else to do.