+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notes from Discover Canada - Preparation for the Citizenship Test

Eshtemler

Feb 20, 2020
Toronto
Hi team
I had my test yesterday and successfully passed. During the test I had intermittent warnings of don’t attempt opening any other pages which was so annoying and I never tried to do so. Anyways I stayed on the page continued and completed my test.
Once I was shutting down the laptop I realized the invitation pdf file was open. Has anyone experienced the same situation and what was the outcome? Should these false warnings have any implications on final results ?

BeerBeem

Feb 1, 2022
Hey All,
Would like to share my experience in the buildup to the test and the test itself.

Make sure you read the Discover Canada book a few times. All the answers are in there.
Also, read the instructions email well beforehand so that there are no surprises during your Sign-In process ( 9 steps to complete before the test ).

If you haven't started preparation, the best way is to
  1. Go through the Youtube video "Canadian Citizenship Test 2022 (414 Questions - updated)".
    • Highlight the contexts of these answers in your Discover Canada book.
    • You will now have an understanding of what type of questions could be asked and also build up a basic knowledge of the subject.
  2. Thoroughly read the Discover Canada book at least a couple of times.
  3. Now quiz yourself - either the same YouTube video ( at x2 speed) or a mock test website like ApnaToronto.
  4. If you are doing good there. You are almost ready for the test. Revise one last time if needed.
Strike the iron while it's hot! - Don't wait - Don't Doubt.

With respect to the test. The pre-test Sign-In process takes the longest time. Especially aligning the Photo ID card within the Green boundaries and getting a clear photo of the same.

Once you are on the test screen, take your time reading the questions carefully (some questions would sound similar but can be tricky) and make sure you answer every question. This is the easy part if you have prepared for the test.

Best of luck to all who are attempting the test soon and for the ones waiting for the test invite - patience is the key.

esse

Jun 21, 2021
Hey All,
Would like to share my experience in the buildup to the test and the test itself.

Make sure you read the Discover Canada book a few times. All the answers are in there.
Also, read the instructions email well beforehand so that there are no surprises during your Sign-In process ( 9 steps to complete before the test ).

If you haven't started preparation, the best way is to
  1. Go through the Youtube video "Canadian Citizenship Test 2022 (414 Questions - updated)".
    • Highlight the contexts of these answers in your Discover Canada book.
    • You will now have an understanding of what type of questions could be asked and also build up a basic knowledge of the subject.
  2. Thoroughly read the Discover Canada book at least a couple of times.
  3. Now quiz yourself - either the same YouTube video ( at x2 speed) or a mock test website like ApnaToronto.
  4. If you are doing good there. You are almost ready for the test. Revise one last time if needed.
Strike the iron while it's hot! - Don't wait - Don't Doubt.

With respect to the test. The pre-test Sign-In process takes the longest time. Especially aligning the Photo ID card within the Green boundaries and getting a clear photo of the same.

Once you are on the test screen, take your time reading the questions carefully (some questions would sound similar but can be tricky) and make sure you answer every question. This is the easy part if you have prepared for the test.

Best of luck to all who are attempting the test soon and for the ones waiting for the test invite - patience is the key.

Thanks for sharing your experience. While taking the picture, first we take a pic of PR card and then a pic of ourselves. Is that right? Do we need additional ID? PR card, Driver License and a selfie? Are we supposed to take the pics in 20 mins? Is there a time limit when taking the pics? How many times are we allowed to take the pic? Do we have to submit the pics or the system decides the pic is OK and proceeds to the next step? Thank you for your input.

BeerBeem

Feb 1, 2022
For an in-detail explanation of the steps involved in Sign-In for the test, you can access the CIC link below
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test/access.html

To answer your questions
While taking the picture, first we take a pic of PR card and then a pic of ourselves. Is that right? Do we need additional ID? PR card, Driver License and a selfie?
You can use either your PR card or any govt. issue ID with your photo and signature on them. I had my PR card and my DL on me. But during the Sign-In process (Step 5), the was only the need for 1 ID and I used the DL because it had my signature and address in them. Make sure you have proper lighting and have the wordings on the ID properly visible. You have multiple attempts to capture a legible picture. Once you are confident about the picture you need to submit it to proceed further.

The next step (Step 6) will be to capture a photo of your face. Same as before you have multiple attempts to capture a well lit sharp image of your face.
I used the inbuilt cam of my MacBook.

Are we supposed to take the pics in 20 mins? Is there a time limit when taking the pics? How many times are we allowed to take the pic? Do we have to submit the pics or the system decides the pic is OK and proceeds to the next step? Thank you for your input.
During the Sign-In process, you will be sent a link by IRCC that is valid only for 15 minutes. It's through this link that you submit your pictures of the ID and your photo. You need to complete the sign in process within 15 minutes and can take recapture the images of the ID and your selfie multiple time and submit the latest image you have.

• Love
Reactions: Pearly000 and esse

FrankNL

Aug 11, 2020
Hi. Do you know if using a passport issued by another country is an acceptable ID in addition to the PR card?

I just renewed my driver license yesterday and my old driver license was discarded by the driver license agency where I live. It takes 30 days to get the new DL card. Thanks.

BeerBeem

Feb 1, 2022
Hi. Do you know if using a passport issued by another country is an acceptable ID in addition to the PR card?

I just renewed my driver license yesterday and my old driver license was discarded by the driver license agency where I live. It takes 30 days to get the new DL card. Thanks.
As per the IRCC email you will need:
A photo identification (ID) with your signature on it, such as
  • your permanent resident (PR) card (even if it’s expired) or
  • a valid government issued photo ID
So you can use your PR card.

Reactions: FrankNL

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
Hello,
Today I took my test. However, during the test I noticed that two tabs are open. Without switching to the other tabs, clicked on the X on the tab icons and closed them. However, every time I clicked on the next question, the pop-up message showed up that I’m leaving the exam. I had to click on “I’m back”. Did anyone have the same experience? The message showed up 10 times when I clicked on “next question” :-( I don’t know why. I think I messed it up :-( I really tried and prepared well. I’m so sad and disappointed . Anyone with the same experience?

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
Hello,
Today I took my test. However, during the test I noticed that two tabs are open. Without switching to the other tabs, clicked on the X on the tab icons and closed them. However, every time I clicked on the next question, the pop-up message showed up that I’m leaving the exam. I had to click on “I’m back”. Did anyone have the same experience? The message showed up 10 times when I clicked on “next question” :-( I don’t know why. I think I messed it up :-( I really tried and prepared well. I’m so sad and disappointed . Anyone with the same experience?
@rajkamalmohanram
Your kind advice is appreciated.

esse

Jun 21, 2021
Hello,

Were you able to see the unofficial result when you finished your test? And were u able to take a screen shot of the screen or able to email the results to yourself at the end?

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
Were you able to see the unofficial result when you finished your test? And were u able to take a screen shot of the screen or able to email the results to yourself at the end?
Yes I passed the test (18/20), the results were sent to me via email, the webcam was on for the whole time during the test, and if my memory serves, the picture of my ID was totally clear and readable. However, that pop-up message makes me worried, because it showed up several times, while no other tab or application was open during the test. I mean, at the very beginning of the exam, when I noticed two extra tabs were open, I closed them immediately without opening them, but even after closing the other tabs, the pop-up message kept showing up every single time I clicked on “next question”. I’m not sure whether it’s a glitch, or it’s totally my fault.

esse

Jun 21, 2021
Yes I passed the test (18/20), the results were sent to me via email, the webcam was on for the whole time during the test, and if my memory serves, the picture of my ID was totally clear and readable. However, that pop-up message makes me worried, because it showed up several times, while no other tab or application was open during the test. I mean, at the very beginning of the exam, when I noticed two extra tabs were open, I closed them immediately without opening them, but even after closing the other tabs, the pop-up message kept showing up every single time I clicked on “next question”. I’m not sure whether it’s a glitch, or it’s totally my fault.
A friend left email tab open during her test. Did not have a problem. If you closed them at first, you should be fine. Not sure about the glitch though. May be some other process was going on in the background. Cross your fingers, best of luck to you. Would you mind sharing your timeline as well. Ty.

mhbin

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Hi everyone. My wife and I will take the exam next week. Is it OK to help out my wife to login before it starts? I mean there is no recording yet at that stage right? She asks me to help her to complete all that ID verification and taking picture stuff.