+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notes from Discover Canada - Preparation for the Citizenship Test

monikam

Mar 29, 2019
Well yeah, there could be some. But most of the time, you can proceed by elimination for most of the answers, so don't stress too much if you've read the book.
Thank you! I have my online test and interview with officer. My first test was invalidated. Is there anyone who had the same issue and can share experience about online test over teams? how it goes etc...

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Thank you! I have my online test and interview with officer. My first test was invalidated. Is there anyone who had the same issue and can share experience about online test over teams? how it goes etc...
Dunno why your 1st test was invalidated, but the second one will look exactly like the first. Same platform, same conditions and all. The zoom interview should be a 5 to 10 minutes simple discussion, with mundane questions (your work, where you live, do you have kids blablabla) , you have nothing to prepare for.

Reactions: monikam

monikam

Mar 29, 2019
Dunno why your 1st test was invalidated, but the second one will look exactly like the first. Same platform, same conditions and all. The zoom interview should be a 5 to 10 minutes simple discussion, with mundane questions (your work, where you live, do you have kids blablabla) , you have nothing to prepare for.
Thank you! did you mean while i give test, the officer would be there supervising me or not? or the officer would join when i am done with my test and ask few interview questions.. and what does it mean by "
This test will be provided to you
orally (with the questions presented to you in writing) via videoconference at the date and time
stipulated above."

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Thank you! did you mean while i give test, the officer would be there supervising me or not? or the officer would join when i am done with my test and ask few interview questions.. and what does it mean by "
This test will be provided to you
orally (with the questions presented to you in writing) via videoconference at the date and time
stipulated above."
Ah discard my previous answer the.
Usually, the second test is similar to the first one, but it seems that yup, the test here will be given directly via zoom, in the presence of the interviewer. It won't change much to the overall experience.

Reactions: monikam

monikam

Mar 29, 2019
Ah discard my previous answer the.
Usually, the second test is similar to the first one, but it seems that yup, the test here will be given directly via zoom, in the presence of the interviewer. It won't change much to the overall experience.
Thank you! does it mean i have to read out the questions .. as it says orally..bit confused.

keys8014

Feb 4, 2021
Are the questions in the test more of a common sense questions or do we really have to study and memorize things?

mark56

Star Member
Jun 20, 2016
I got the test email today and it states the below text on number of attempts. So if I take the test on Day 1 and fail, can I go in again after a couple of days and re-take the test? Or would I need another test email from IRCC?

You need to get 15 correct answers to pass the test.
You will be provided up to 3 attempts to pass the test within 30 days of the test start date.
Only the first 3 attempts at writing the exam (including any previous attempts) will be considered when reviewing your test scores.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
I got the test email today and it states the below text on number of attempts. So if I take the test on Day 1 and fail, can I go in again after a couple of days and re-take the test? Or would I need another test email from IRCC?
You only have one chance during the 3 weeks period, regardless of when you take the test. If you fail it, you'll need to wait for IRCC to schedule the second one.

Reactions: mark56

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
You only have one chance during the 3 weeks period, regardless of when you take the test. If you fail it, you'll need to wait for IRCC to schedule the second one.
@Seym - The rules have been updated. Like you, I was under the impression that we had to wait for the IRCC to schedule the test after failing, but now you can attempt it three times without waiting.

Moreover, you no longer need permission from the IRCC to take the test from outside Canada too.

Once you receive the invitation, you can take the online test at your convenience. You have a window of 30 calendar days to complete the test. Within this 30-day period, you are given up to three opportunities to pass the online test. For instance, if you don’t pass the test on your first attempt, you still have two more chances. If you fail the test three times, you will be invited to a hearing with a citizenship official.

For more details check - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test.html#toc3

@mark56 - Please take note of these changes.

mark56

Star Member
Jun 20, 2016
@Seym - The rules have been updated. Like you, I was under the impression that we had to wait for the IRCC to schedule the test after failing, but now you can attempt it three times without waiting.

Moreover, you no longer need permission from the IRCC to take the test from outside Canada too.

Once you receive the invitation, you can take the online test at your convenience. You have a window of 30 calendar days to complete the test. Within this 30-day period, you are given up to three opportunities to pass the online test. For instance, if you don’t pass the test on your first attempt, you still have two more chances. If you fail the test three times, you will be invited to a hearing with a citizenship official.

For more details check - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test.html#toc3

Thank @forw.jane you for this, this is really helpful.
Though I would like to look for someone who tried this!

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017

Thank you for this.
I'll keep it in mind :)

jay_12r

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Introduction
  • Sources of Canadian Law = laws passed by Parliament and the provincial legislatures, English common law, the civil code of France and the unwritten constitution that we have inherited from Great Britain
  • Combined all above = Magna Carta / Great Charter of Freedoms (1215 AD)
  • Habeas corpus = Right to challenge unlawful detention by the state (English Common Law)
  • Constitution of Canada amended to include Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (1982)
  • Fundamental freedoms + Additional rights
  • Mobility rights, Aboriginal People's Rights, Official Language Rights and Minority Language Educational Rights, Multiculturalism
  • Responsibilities = Obeying the law, taking responsibility for oneself and one’s family, serving on jury, Voting, Volunteering, Protecting/Enjoying heritage and environment
  • Defending Canada = foreces.ca / cadets.ca for young people

History of Canada (Part 1 / 2)
  • Peace, Order, and Good Government comes from British North America Act (1867)
  • Songwriters called Canada "Great Dominion"
  • Founding peoples = Aboriginal, French, British
  • Aboriginal people migrated from Asia thousands of years ago.
  • Territorial rights were first guaranteed through the Royal Proclamation of 1763 by King George III
  • 1800 - 1980 => Aboriginal children in residential schools, Schools were poorly funded, students abused, Aboriginal language and cultural practices were prohibited. In 2008, Ottawa formally apologized to former students.
  • Aboriginal people = 3 groups | First Nations (65%), Metis (30%), Inuit (4%)
  • 'Indian' refers to all Aboriginal people who are not Inuit or Métis. Term no longer used. Now they are called 'First Nations'.
  • About half of First Nations people live on reserve land in about 600 communities | Remaining off the reserve in urban centers
  • Inuit, means "The People" in Inuktitut language live in Arctic. Knowledgeable about land, sea, wildlife
  • Metis = people of mixed Aboriginal and European ancestry. Majority in Prairie provinces. Their dialect = Michif (French + English speaking backgrounds).
  • John Buchan | 1st Baron Tweedsmuir | popular Governor General of Canada (1935-40) | Said "Immigrant groups should retain their individuality and each make its contribution to the national character." at Canadian Club of Halifax, 1937.
  • Today, Anglophones = 18 million, 7 million Francophones (majority live in Quebec) - 1 million live in Ontario, NB & Manitoba
  • NB is the only official bilingual province
  • Acadians = descendants of French colonists, began settling in the Maritime provinces in 1604.
  • Between 1755 and 1763 (war b/w Britain and France), 2/3rd of Acadians were deported from their homeland. This is known as "Great Upheaval".
  • Quebecers = People of Quebec (French speaking majority). Descendants of 8500 French settlers
  • The House of Commons recognized in 2006 that the Quebecois form a nation within a united Canada.
  • One million Anglo-Quebecers have a heritage of 250 years | vibrant part of Quebec fabric
  • basic way of life in English-speaking areas established by English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish settlers, soldiers and migrants from the 1600s to 20th century
  • Canada = "Land of immigrants"
  • From 1970s, most immigrants have come from Asian countries.
  • Chinese is second most 2nd most spoken at home.
  • Vancouver = 13% speak Chinese at home | Toronto = 7% speak Chinese at home
  • Majority of Canadians = Christians
  • Canada's diversity includes gay, lesbian | All protection under the law including marriage
  • Marjorie Turner-Bailey of Nova Scotia = Olympian, descendant of black Loyalists, escaped slaves & free men, fled to Canada in 1780s from America.
  • Huron-Wendat of the Great Lakes region, like the Iroquois = farmers and hunters
  • Cree and Dene of the Northwest = hunter-gatherers
  • Sioux = Nomadic, following bison herds.
  • Inuit = Lived off Arctic wildlife
  • West Coast natives = preserved fish by drying and smoking
  • Warfare was common among Aboriginal groups for resources, land & prestige
  • Many aboriginals died because of European diseases they didn't have immunity to
  • Vikings from Iceland, colonized Greenland 1000 years go reached Newfoundland & Labrador
  • The remains of their settlement L’Anse aux Meadows = World heritage site
  • European exploration began 1497
  • John Cabot = first to draw a map of Canada’s East Coast.
  • Jacques Cartier, voyages across Atlantic, claiming land for King Francis I of France
  • Jacques Cartier = first European to explore St. Lawrence River, set eyes on present-day Québec City & Montreal
  • Iroquoian word 'Kanata' means village
  • By 1550s, name "Canada" began appearing on maps
  • Samuel de Champlain = In 1608, built a fortress in Quebec City
  • French and the Iroquois made peace in 1701
  • French and Aboriginal people collaborated in the vast fur-trade economy, demand for beaver pelts in Europe
  • Jean Talon, Bishop Laval, and Count Frontenac built a French Empire from Hudson Bay to the Gulf of Mexico
  • Sir Guy Carleton (Lord Dorchester) defeated American invasion of Quebec in 1775
  • King Charles II of England = In 1670, granted Hudson’s Bay Company exclusive trading rights over the watershed draining into Hudson Bay
  • Voyageurs / coureurs des bois = Montreal-based traders | men who travelled by canoe | formed strong alliances with First Nations
  • Battle of the Plains of Abraham at Québec City = 1759 | British defeated French marking the end of France’s empire in America
  • Commander of both Armies (Brigadier James Wolfe and the Marquis de Montcalm) were killed in the war
  • After the war, Britain renamed the colony the “Province of Quebec.”
  • Canadiens / Habitants = French speaking Catholic people
  • Quebec Act = 1774 | Passed by British parliament | allowed religious freedom for Catholics and permitted them to hold public office
  • Quebec Act restored French civil law while maintaining British criminal law
  • In 1776, 13 British colonies to the south of Quebec declared independence and formed the United States.
  • People loyal to the Crown = “Loyalists" fled oppression and moved to Nova Scotia and Quebec
  • Joseph Brant led thousands of Loyalist Mohawk Indians to Canada
  • In 1792, some black Nova Scotians were given poor land, moved on to establish Freetown, Sierra Leone
Amazing notes man. This is what I was looking for.
I just went through these notes and couple of youtube videos over a weekend and took the exam today. 20/20.
Didn't even touch the book.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Upfront (uploaded with application)
Med's Request
Upfront (uploaded with application)
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019
Has the book changed from these summary notes on 2024? Anyone took the test recently?