+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notarized Documents

Bbb493

Dec 23, 2017
We are in the process of submitting our common law application package and I was curious if the letters of support need to be notarized? We are receiving letters from his parents (UK), my parents (Canada), my sister (Canada) and a good friend (Canada). Will these need to be notarized?
Also, we became common law in June, 2017 as we had been living together for one year therefore when filing taxes this year we will file as common law. From anyone’s experience should this be changed before we submit our PR spousal application?

chinesecanadian87

Star Member
Jan 30, 2017
We are in the process of submitting our common law application package and I was curious if the letters of support need to be notarized? We are receiving letters from his parents (UK), my parents (Canada), my sister (Canada) and a good friend (Canada). Will these need to be notarized?
Also, we became common law in June, 2017 as we had been living together for one year therefore when filing taxes this year we will file as common law. From anyone’s experience should this be changed before we submit our PR spousal application?
No they don't

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Include a note/explanation that says you intend to file as common law for 2017 taxes.

You could also notify CRA right now if you want and then include the proof that you have done so with your application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The letters don't need to be notarized.

You should have changed your status with CRA when you became common-law in June.

Bbb493

Dec 23, 2017
Thanks for the info! Could anyone provide a link for info on notarized documents? I’ve been seeing that some countries require them and others don’t.