+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notarized Documents for Common Law

hectorbart

Mar 20, 2018
Hi,
I'm about to start the process of Common-Law with my girlfriend and I'm debating if I should get a lawyer or do it myself.
The main reason that keeps me from doing myself is that I don't know what documents need to be notarized or if an affidavit is necessary. Specially for the letters of support and cohabitation agreement.
Everything else is very well explained in the CIC website.
Does anybody know if it's necessary to get letters of support and cohabitation agreement notarized or an affidavit?

Thank you

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi,
I'm about to start the process of Common-Law with my girlfriend and I'm debating if I should get a lawyer or do it myself.
The main reason that keeps me from doing myself is that I don't know what documents need to be notarized or if an affidavit is necessary. Specially for the letters of support and cohabitation agreement.
Does anybody know if it's necessary to get letters of support and cohabitation agreement notarized or an affidavit?

Thank you
If you have a straightforward application you do not need a lawyer.

I am married so won't comment on cohab agreement but you do not need to get letters of support notarized.

Prit94

Jun 29, 2020
Hi,

Thank you

Hi, did you figure it out? Im going through the same procedure too!

Caly

Star Member
Feb 2, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
I did a common-law application, no lawyers or cohabitation agreement, didn't notarize, no affidavits. Just had friends and family & building person sign their letters. Application was accepted as complete in February. *crosses fingers* :)

Prit94

Jun 29, 2020
I did a common-law application, no lawyers or cohabitation agreement, didn't notarize, no affidavits. Just had friends and family & building person sign their letters. Application was accepted as complete in February. *crosses fingers* :)
Hey thanks for your reply.

What about funds? Did you need to make a joint account? Is it okay to show money from a secondary applicant?

Caly

Star Member
Feb 2, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
If you can make a joint account, do so. His account had credit cards attached and he got me one with my name on it, so we showed that info. They'll need the Canadian's tax information to make sure you can be supported. If you sent each other any money back and forth, or PayPal etc., show that.