+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

not sure if I'm eligible... please help

marta cocchi

Oct 31, 2013
Thank you everyone for your time and patience. I got a bit lost trying to understand the acronyms and details of the rules you mention but I really appreciate your efforts in helping me. So, I never overstayed the 6 months and my partner is my PR sponsor so my understanding is a have a chance that my application will be looked at. There's also the possibility that it will be returned.
It may just make more sense to wait until I have enough days after my PR was approved, which according to the physical presence calculator is in one year time.
Thank you again everybody.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
It may just make more sense to wait until I have enough days after my PR was approved . . .
Waiting makes a lot of sense. Remember to still include the pre-PR days in the presence calculation, but for sure it is a good idea to wait to apply when you have enough days based on well-documented status, which appears likely to be limited to days AFTER the date of landing and becoming a PR. (The easiest way to do this is to do a separate draft presence calculation, not counting pre-PR days at all, and when that draft shows the requirement has been met, plus a bit of a margin, then do the formal, to be submitted version of the presence calculation including the pre-PR days . . . being sure to include responses in the application as to your periods of visitor status.)

The gist of my lengthy posts: If your passport was stamped. Or you had a Visitor's Record. Or your sponsored family class PR application was an INLAND application: To the extent any of these documents YOUR status as a temporary resident, you could rely on those days counting (at the half day credit for each day). Best to still have a bigger than usual margin over the minimum, but it should be safe to rely on pre-PR days for which IRCC is likely to have its own records (in your GCMS records) showing or at least corroborating status (such as the inland sponsored partner application process should).