+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not received PR Card after 3 months - Is it normal for no updates?

BCBound20

May 11, 2020
Hi, I hope someone can help me determine if I have done everything correctly and if my situation is normal after this amount of time.

I completed my permanent resident landing process in August 2023. At the airport they stamped my COPR document and I definitely gave them a Canadian address for them to mail me the Permanent Resident Card. I assumed that was all I needed to do for the PR card processing to start, is this correct?

It has now been 87 days and I have not received the PR Card yet.
On the "processing times" webpage, it says it currently takes an average of 67 days for them to process a first time PR card.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

Even more concerning, when I use the online Check Client Application Status tool ( https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html ), it says the following:

"We were not able to identify you using the information you provided.
  • Please be sure the information you entered is correct and then try again.
  • This service is only available to clients with applications in process. We may have received your application but not yet begun processing it."

I have tried using my Unique Client Identifier Number , COPR number, and Case Number and none of these work. Surely they would have at least started the application by now?
Despite giving the immigration officer at the airport my Canadian address, I am now wondering if I was supposed to also update my online IRCC account with this Canadian address (I think the online account still has my origin country home address)? Would the fact that I have not done this mean they haven't even started processing this?

Also if I check my online IRCC account that I used for Express Entry and to apply for permanent residence, there have been no updates for over a year (the last update says "Final decision - September 22, 2022: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made", but since then no updates about COPR being stamped or PR card). Should there actually have been an update to say they received my files and/or began processing the new PR card? Or do they not usually give you any updates on this?

When I went to finish the immigration landing process back in August, I was only in Canada for a week to do a "soft landing". I then returned to the UK (my country of origin) for a few months to tie up some loose ends and continue some work for my current employer. I am still currently in the UK, but I plan to make my permanent move to Canada in March 2024.
I have several important work-related trips coming up over the next couple of months that require travelling between the UK and the Canada, the first of which is scheduled this December so I am getting quite concerned. Is there anything I can do to get the PR card urgently processed?
I have read about getting a PRTD, but in order to apply for that it requires proof of ties to Canada to show you will meet the residency obligations, such as bank statement, rental agreement, etc. However as I have not actually moved to Canada yet and only went there for a week, I have none of these things yet. I think I will apply for one anyway, with just a cover letter explaining my situation and a letter from my current (UK based) employer explaining why they need me to go on these trips. Do you think this will suffice?

Many thanks for reading

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I hope someone can help me determine if I have done everything correctly and if my situation is normal after this amount of time.

I completed my permanent resident landing process in August 2023. At the airport they stamped my COPR document and I definitely gave them a Canadian address for them to mail me the Permanent Resident Card. I assumed that was all I needed to do for the PR card processing to start, is this correct?

On the "processing times" webpage, it says it currently takes an average of 67 days for them to process a first time PR card.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

Even more concerning, when I use the online Check Client Application Status tool ( https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html ), it says the following:

• This service is only available to clients with applications in process. We may have received your application but not yet begun processing it."

I have tried using my Unique Client Identifier Number , COPR number, and Case Number and none of these work. Surely they would have at least started the application by now?
Despite giving the immigration officer at the airport my Canadian address, I am now wondering if I was supposed to also update my online IRCC account with this Canadian address (I think the online account still has my origin country home address)? Would the fact that I have not done this mean they haven't even started processing this?

Also if I check my online IRCC account that I used for Express Entry and to apply for permanent residence, there have been no updates for over a year (the last update says "Final decision - September 22, 2022: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made", but since then no updates about COPR being stamped or PR card). Should there actually have been an update to say they received my files and/or began processing the new PR card? Or do they not usually give you any updates on this?

When I went to finish the immigration landing process back in August, I was only in Canada for a week to do a "soft landing". I then returned to the UK (my country of origin) for a few months to tie up some loose ends and continue some work for my current employer. I am still currently in the UK, but I plan to make my permanent move to Canada in March 2024.
I have several important work-related trips coming up over the next couple of months that require travelling between the UK and the Canada, the first of which is scheduled this December so I am getting quite concerned. Is there anything I can do to get the PR card urgently processed?
I have read about getting a PRTD, but in order to apply for that it requires proof of ties to Canada to show you will meet the residency obligations, such as bank statement, rental agreement, etc. However as I have not actually moved to Canada yet and only went there for a week, I have none of these things yet. I think I will apply for one anyway, with just a cover letter explaining my situation and a letter from my current (UK based) employer explaining why they need me to go on these trips. Do you think this will suffice?

Many thanks for reading
Perhaps, back in August, they think you are not making your home in Canada and decided not to mail out the PR card to you? Alternatively to PRTD, you can also fly to USA and return to Canada via land border on foot.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Many thanks for reading
Posted processing times are just estimated averages so the time frame is not the issue. Are you sure the address you submitted was accepted. Agree that the PR card process was likely never started. Did you indicate that you were not remaining in Canada? Many agents don’t process PR cards if you are not staying in Canada while some are more flexible. You need to apply for a PRTD. There is no need for a letter from your employer. If you only recently landed you are well within the 2 out of 5 years residency requirement. When applying for a PRTD IRCC considers whether you can still complete the residency requirement based on when you landed and you have plenty of time.