+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not ready for citizenship test: try to reschedule or attend anyway?

Simkr

Jul 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Sir/Madam,

your response was third one. before you, two people responded, including myself. No one mentioned about Chinese origin. From your response mentioned below, anybody can easily guess u r talking about Chinese...let's not go into it.

One thing i know very well we both are trying to help him and his wife.

newtone said:
buy the chinese handbook for citizenship, it also has english version in it. Its basically the photocopy of what will be asked in the exam with answers! Its the fastest and easiest way to pass the exam. God bless the Chinese

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I disagree i also mentioned it is in English so where is the confusion?

Simkr

Jul 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Actually u shouldnt be using the term Chinese in your first posting. Confusion created from that post.
i am not the only one who misunderstood your first posting. Go and take a look rather than clarifying things over and again.

Thanks

newtone said:
I disagree i also mentioned it is in English so where is the confusion?

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
We often criticize the CIC, and for a reason. However, to be fare to them we need to admit that their decision to introduce the mandatory pre-application English/French language test was very prudent when one comes across cases like this one. Let's face it, based on the posters description of his wife's language skills or the lack of thereof, she will almost certainly fail the pretest interview and the test, which will result in her being issued a RQ. Then her file will be reviewed for another, depending on luck/circumstances, 1 -2 years taking up time of an immigration officer with almost 90 % plausibility of ending up with the CJ and being rejected on the basis of lacking to satisfy the language requirement. To that add the time taken up from an migration officer so far to review her case which is waisted basically given the end result. Now think how many to be applicants with similar circumstances will refrain from applying and using up the precious time of the reviewing officers, which will be devoted, hopefully, to legitimate applicants. My 2 cents.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I would say try you best to help your wife. If she fails (God forbid) she wil have time in between for the second test. I am just giving options. At the end of the day try your best and call the CIC. Just curious, did your wife submit a proof of language? If she did, just make sure what you say to the CIC agent.

best of luck.

mtltest said:
My wife just found out that she has a citizenship test scheduled in 11 days. We had moved addresses and the notification ended up at the old address, I just happened to call to check on the status today and found out the test is October 21.

Does anyone know if it is in her best interest to attend anyway even if it is certain she will fail? She is not prepared at all and 11 days will not be enough time to get ready. We could also try to reschedule but I'm not sure if it is a good excuse to claim being underprepared.

Any insight into how to handle this is appreciated! Thanks.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Funny how your 2 cents wouldn't have been mentioned if that was your wife. ;D

RussCan said:
We often criticize the CIC, and for a reason. However, to be fare to them we need to admit that their decision to introduce the mandatory pre-application English/French language test was very prudent when one comes across cases like this one. Let's face it, based on the posters description of his wife's language skills or the lack of thereof, she will almost certainly fail the pretest interview and the test, which will result in her being issued a RQ. Then her file will be reviewed for another, depending on luck/circumstances, 1 -2 years taking up time of an immigration officer with almost 90 % plausibility of ending up with the CJ and being rejected on the basis of lacking to satisfy the language requirement. To that add the time taken up from an migration officer so far to review her case which is waisted basically given the end result. Now think how many to be applicants with similar circumstances will refrain from applying and using up the precious time of the reviewing officers, which will be devoted, hopefully, to legitimate applicants. My 2 cents.

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
You are wrong. My wife was not born speaking English. But when we decided to move to an English speaking country to live she made a comittment and has learned it. If she could why someone else cannot? I am sure they can but they are not resolved. Why should we suffer? Citizenship is a privilege not a wright, and has to be deserved therefore ;)

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Simkr said:
Actually u shouldnt be using the term Chinese in your first posting. Confusion created from that post.
i am not the only one who misunderstood your first posting. Go and take a look rather than clarifying things over and again.

Thanks
If the book is titled "Chinese handbook for Canadian Citizenship" how is it my fault. It not a crime to be Chinese and neither its a crime using the term Chinese. I really dont understand your logic. So with your line of reasoning if there is a book called "French history of Canada" I should not be using the term French??? What if someone wants to go to a Japanese resturant, they should not be using the term Japanese. I think your post is creating more confusion. What do you mean by "u shouldnt be using the term chinese"

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lool. It seems you never meant it. But it came out as a judgement. You kind of assumed his wife is Chinese. hehe. never mind. Hope she gets her citizenship so she could stay with her family.

newtone said:
If the book is titled "Chinese handbook for Canadian Citizenship" how is it my fault. It not a crime to be Chinese and neither its a crime using the term Chinese. I really dont understand your logic. So with your line of reasoning if there is a book called "French history of Canada" I should not be using the term French??? What if someone wants to go to a Japanese resturant, they should not be using the term Japanese. I think your post is creating more confusion. What do you mean by "u shouldnt be using the term chinese"

Simkr

Jul 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I thought my last post in this thread was conclusion of confusion created by YOU SIR/MADAM. CAN YOU PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS THREAD. TWO MORE PEOPLE GOT THE SAME SENSE WHAT I GOT. Don't be egotistic. Don't think you are super smart and others are dumb.

I think you really need to think about what r writing on this thread or forum before posting.

newtone said:
If the book is titled "Chinese handbook for Canadian Citizenship" how is it my fault. It not a crime to be Chinese and neither its a crime using the term Chinese. I really dont understand your logic. So with your line of reasoning if there is a book called "French history of Canada" I should not be using the term French??? What if someone wants to go to a Japanese resturant, they should not be using the word Japanese. I think your post is creating more confusion. What do you mean by "u shouldnt be using the term chinese"

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I find it interesting how you come to the conclusion that I am egotistical when in fact you havent clearified your point about why one should not be using the term Chinese. I'll lay it out in black and white for you, why shouldnt a person use the term Chinese? Or French? German or any other nationality. What problems do you have with that? Instead of answering the question of OP you went completly off topic and now we are debating about ridiculous things like why we shouldnt be using the term Chinese. Jeez talk about hijacking a thread and discussing something completly insignificant. So before accusing me of thinking other people are dumb please clearify what you mean by "shouldnt use the term Chinese" smart guy

Nordicgirl

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
Visa Office......
Scarborough, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RussCan said:
Sorry if my words come harsh but I have to say this: if you wife has not mastered the English language to the minimal level on understanding written questions she does not qualify to become Canadian.
I agree. I started speaking English in Canada from day 1 since I got here.

To the OP, have your wife go to the test, do her best and see how it goes. If it doesn't go well, have her take an intense course of English in which you learn to read, write and speak well. Then she is better prepared for the test, and life in Canada in general.

touché

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
Nordicgirl said:
I agree. I started speaking English in Canada from day 1 since I got here.

To the OP, have your wife go to the test, do her best and see how it goes. If it doesn't go well, have her take an intense course of English in which you learn to read, write and speak well. Then she is better prepared for the test, and life in Canada in general.
Well said. I would add that she should still invest in an intensive course in English even if she manages to pass the test. Would go a long way in improving her quality of life here.

Nordicgirl

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
Visa Office......
Scarborough, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
touché said:
Well said. I would add that she should still invest in an intensive course in English even if she manages to pass the test. Would go a long way in improving her quality of life here.
You are on the same wavelength with me :) I totally agree! When you understand the language, you can read all the signs, understand what they say in stores, on the street, on TV, in newspapers etc. And then her chances in getting a job, or another job, are better.