+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not ready for citizenship test: try to reschedule or attend anyway?

mtltest

Oct 10, 2013
My wife just found out that she has a citizenship test scheduled in 11 days. We had moved addresses and the notification ended up at the old address, I just happened to call to check on the status today and found out the test is October 21.

Does anyone know if it is in her best interest to attend anyway even if it is certain she will fail? She is not prepared at all and 11 days will not be enough time to get ready. We could also try to reschedule but I'm not sure if it is a good excuse to claim being underprepared.

Any insight into how to handle this is appreciated! Thanks.

touché

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
mtltest said:
My wife just found out that she has a citizenship test scheduled in 11 days. We had moved addresses and the notification ended up at the old address, I just happened to call to check on the status today and found out the test is October 21.

Does anyone know if it is in her best interest to attend anyway even if it is certain she will fail? She is not prepared at all and 11 days will not be enough time to get ready. We could also try to reschedule but I'm not sure if it is a good excuse to claim being underprepared.

Rescheduling is not a good idea. CIC demands a very strong reason. I'll advise her to prepare as much as she can in 11 days and go take it. The booklet is quite small.

Simkr

Jul 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think 11 days are more than sufficient to pass the test. Read through booklet once-twice a day until the test date and do practice online as much as she can. u ll get 20/20 if not then 19/20. i heard it isn't tough at all (you are a bit careful).

mtltest said:

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
buy the chinese handbook for citizenship, it also has english version in it. Its basically the photocopy of what will be asked in the exam with answers! Its the fastest and easiest way to pass the exam. God bless the Chinese

justmeinyyc

Jan 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would advise your wife to just go for it. I took the test last month and only began studying seriously a week before.
I read the book a few times and took lots of free online tests. I scored 100%.

I wouldn't delay taking the exam, if she fails they will reschedule another test for her, I would just let the process happen.

Good luck to her!

mtltest

Oct 10, 2013
Thanks for your input.

I should be more specific about how unprepared my wife is. She moved to Canada several years ago but didn't learn any english until she was in her mid-30's and hasn't taken any language courses. She speaks limited english but enough to get by. Her reading and writing skills in english are almost non-existent. So she can't read through the book on her own and even if she could she would not be able to figure out what enough of the written questions were asking.

11 days might be a reasonable amount of time to someone fluent in english or french but I can't see it being nearly enough with her language skills.

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
Sorry if my words come harsh but I have to say this: if you wife has not mastered the English language to the minimal level on understanding written questions she does not qualify to become Canadian.

justmeinyyc

Jan 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow, now I understand your dilemma.

Considering the circumstances, finding out about the test 11 days before is a moot point if your wife cannot read or write English or French.
It's not a question of her not being prepared. I'm not sure she meets the basic language requirements for citizenship.

YYZguy416

Star Member
Apr 29, 2013
Wasn't she required to submit proof of language when she applied for citizenship?

mtltest said:
Thanks for your input.

I should be more specific about how unprepared my wife is. She moved to Canada several years ago but didn't learn any english until she was in her mid-30's and hasn't taken any language courses. She speaks limited english but enough to get by. Her reading and writing skills in english are almost non-existent. So she can't read through the book on her own and even if she could she would not be able to figure out what enough of the written questions were asking.

11 days might be a reasonable amount of time to someone fluent in english or french but I can't see it being nearly enough with her language skills.

Simkr

Jul 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
one of my colleague (Canadian) was married to Canadian born Chinese husband. She cant communicate with parents in laws despite they are in Canada 30-40 years and in addition to that they (parent-in-law) raised their kids here and educated them. sound like hard to imagine but its reality.
one of the main reasons is not exposing themselves in English environment since it s not hard live in Canada without knowing a single word of english let's say richmond. do u really need English there.

RussCan said:
Sorry if my words come harsh but I have to say this: if you wife has not mastered the English language to the minimal level on understanding written questions she does not qualify to become Canadian.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
mtltest said:

Do not reschedule the test and there is no reason which is good enough to postpone or reschedule she should go in for the test if she fails she will be given a second chance, if you try to reschedule then a RQ is guaranteed. Dude the test is real easy trust me.

Simkr

Jul 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
May be u r underestimating your wife. practice through Chinese version of Discover Canada booklet

mtltest said:
Thanks for your input.

Kw8Un0NK

Star Member
Sep 18, 2013
newtone said:
buy the chinese handbook for citizenship, it also has english version in it. Its basically the photocopy of what will be asked in the exam with answers! Its the fastest and easiest way to pass the exam. God bless the Chinese
Why do you think she's Chinese?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I never said she is chinese or even thought she is chinese. I only asked to get the Chinese handbook which also happens to have English too, because its easier to study and understand than the handbook issued by the government. please read what I said before jumping the gun