File Transfer...
03-06-2016
Med's Request
19-10-2016
Med's Done....
17-11-2017
Interview........
Not required
I asked this question around many times and no one seems to know of anyone who has gone through this.

I am interested in knowing the situation if your first PR card expires but you have not met your Canadian Residency requirement of 2 years. Is there any way to renew your residency?

I have two examples facing this situation. One is my sibling the other is a close friend. They both landed in Canada (Quebec- specifically) in 2016 , they both had to go back to the home country, one for family reason and the other for finishing school. They are both past their 3 year mark from the day they landed in Canada. They both are ready to come back to Canada. By the time their PR cards expires, neither has spent a full two year in Canada, can they still request a renewal to their permanent residency and get another 5 year of residency permit which will allow them to build their residency time towards getting citizenship?

If you know of anyone who has been in the same situation, we appreciate you sharing the info.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
There are tons of threads on this. Have you tried searching the forum for "Not meeting Residency Obligation"?

When they try to enter Canada, they may be allowed in, or they may be reported for not meeting RO. If they are reported, they can have their PR revoked. If that happens, and they lose the appeal, then that's it, they aren't PRs anymore.

If they are allowed in without a report, they will have to stay in Canada for two years to meet RO again (so no foreign travel). If they do that, they will be back in compliance and won't have an issue.

Again, search the forum.

Reactions: SoClose and scylla

SoClose

Star Member
Jun 4, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
File Transfer...
03-06-2016
Med's Request
19-10-2016
Med's Done....
17-11-2017
Interview........
Not required
There are tons of threads on this. Have you tried searching the forum for "Not meeting Residency Obligation"?

When they try to enter Canada, they may be allowed in, or they may be reported for not meeting RO. If they are reported, they can have their PR revoked. If that happens, and they lose the appeal, then that's it, they aren't PRs anymore.

If they are allowed in without a report, they will have to stay in Canada for two years to meet RO again (so no foreign travel). If they do that, they will be back in compliance and won't have an issue.

Again, search the forum.
Thank you so much for responding. I thought I had tried searching and could not find anything. I just tried with your key words and seems like I am getting some results. I will go through them. It could have been that I was too tired and too sleepy last time I was searching. It could also be that I was not using "Residency Obligation" but was using "residency requirements". you were very helpful either way.

Thank you.