+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not Meeting Residency Obligation

brawad

Jun 23, 2014
Hello,

This is part of the letter I received regrading my application for renewing my PR card.
This letter concerns your application for a Permanent Resident Card.

Subsection 28(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act describes the residency obligation that permanent residents must comply with.

Section 56 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations states that a Permanent Resident Card application must include the addresses of all places of residence, as well as periods of absence from Canada, during the previous 5 years.

In your Permanent Resident Card application, you provided information on your past places of residence and absences, that may present inconsistencies and/or you may not be in compliance with the residence obligation.
I have not met residency obligations since I spent only one year out of five years. My PR card is expired. Please help my through your kind advice.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
You shouldn't have applied to renew your PR if you do not meet residency obligations. Now your PR is being investigated and you would eventually lose your PR status. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: brawad

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Agreed. You are looking at a residency obligation review. If you haven’t been in Canada 730 days in the 5 years prior to your pr card renewal application, they are in the process of revoking your PR.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Hello,

This is part of the letter I received regrading my application for renewing my PR card.
This letter concerns your application for a Permanent Resident Card.

Subsection 28(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act describes the residency obligation that permanent residents must comply with.

Section 56 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations states that a Permanent Resident Card application must include the addresses of all places of residence, as well as periods of absence from Canada, during the previous 5 years.

In your Permanent Resident Card application, you provided information on your past places of residence and absences, that may present inconsistencies and/or you may not be in compliance with the residence obligation.
I have not met residency obligations since I spent only one year out of five years. My PR card is expired. Please help my through your kind advice.
Why did you apply for a PR card when you are not in compliance?

brawad

Jun 23, 2014
i needed to join my family and the immigration consultant did not caution me but talked about the appeal

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Your only hope really is to formally withdraw your renewal application but, to be honest, I suspect that it's now too late to do this. Have you been told to supply proof of physical presence in Canada or any exceptions? Even if you do nothing, hoping that they will treat your application as "abandoned", recent court cases show that they can still carry out the inadmissibility examination.

brawad

Jun 23, 2014
I can be in Canada and thought about extending the response deadline. My family is composed of four kids and their mother is suffering a lot without me near them. Th
Your only hope really is to formally withdraw your renewal application but, to be honest, I suspect that it's now too late to do this. Have you been told to supply proof of physical presence in Canada or any exceptions? Even if you do nothing, hoping that they will treat your application as "abandoned", recent court cases show that they can still carry out the inadmissibility examination.

brawad

Jun 23, 2014
Yes. They provided a questionnaire and asked to respond within 45 days.

brawad

Jun 23, 2014
You shouldn't have applied to renew your PR if you do not meet residency obligations. Now your PR is being investigated and you would eventually lose your PR status. Good Luck!
I was informed that this is not automatic and by the time the decsion might be made I might pass two years requirements for the renewal

brawad

Jun 23, 2014
Agreed. You are looking at a residency obligation review. If you haven’t been in Canada 730 days in the 5 years prior to your pr card renewal application, they are in the process of revoking your PR.
I was informed that this is not automatic and by the time the decsion might be made I might pass two years requirements for the renewal

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Unfortunately, it seems likely that you have been misinformed. If there is any possibility that you don't meet the Residency Obligation requirements, they WILL start to investigate. This has now happened to you, and the Residency Questionnaire confirms this. You must meet the RO on the date that your application is submitted, not when it's decided. Only if you successfully get past this investigation will the days since submission be counted.

brawad

Jun 23, 2014
Unfortunately, it seems likely that you have been misinformed. If there is any possibility that you don't meet the Residency Obligation requirements, they WILL start to investigate. This has now happened to you, and the Residency Questionnaire confirms this. You must meet the RO on the date that your application is submitted, not when it's decided. Only if you successfully get past this investigation will the days since submission be counted.
What do you mean by : Only if you successfully get past this investigation will the days since submission be counted.?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
What do you mean by : Only if you successfully get past this investigation will the days since submission be counted.?
Assuming that you can't prove that you were in compliance with the residency obligation requirements on the day that you submitted the application to IRCC, the likely sequence of events will be these.

1) you are informed that you are inadmissible because of not meeting the residency obligation requirements.
2) you are offered the opportunity to appeal this decision to the IAD.
3) The clock stops as far as accumulating residency days.
4) If you lose your appeal, any days in Canada since your application are effectively lost.
5) If you win your appeal, those days will be counted towards your next RO examination.

Last edited: