+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not meeting Residency Obligation for renewal of PR

Mufaddal12

Sep 2, 2014
I would like to explain the background

1. My wife, son and myself we immigrated to Canada in the year 2014 ( just for landing) – Stayed less than a week
  2. None of us were in Canada at all from in 2015 and till mid-year 2016.We could not immigrate as my son was studying and it was difficult to withdraw him from school at that time, this the delay in .
  3. In mid year 2016 – We purchased a house in London Ontario and a car ( all in my spouse name) and my son started studying at university. He is currently in year 3 Age 20 years. I was outside Canada as I could not find a job in Canada to support my family
  4. My spouse and son will complete 1095 days in 2019 and will be eligible to apply for citizenship.
  5. I have a bank account/investments in Canada and a credit card. I also have a driving license/health card ( health card has never been used). My credit card is being used in Canada. The telephone bills and internet bills come under my name.
  6. I have done appx 100 days in Canada from 2016 till date. I expect to complete appx 270 days in Canada till my PR expires in Feb 2020.
  7. I am aware that one option is that I don’t leave Canada till I complete 2 years and then can apply for renewal of my PR
  8. I just sold my asset and have transferred significant money in Canada ( can be proven by bank statements) as now my permanent residence will be Canada.
I really need your advice on the below

1. I have open a sole proprietorship firm in Canada where I provide consulting services. I will be based in Canada however there may be frequent travels outside Canada of 2-3 days to meet the consultancy requirement. This will not exceed total travels of more than 60 days in a year outside Canada going forward.
I want to explore the following

1. If I apply for renewal of PR in Feb 2020, at that time having a house/ car and family ties will it help in renewing the PR .
  2. If PR renewal is not guaranteed or not possible , then how can I stay in Canada & travel outside Canada ,& invoice from Canada and funds will be received in Canada ( can I get work permit to do business) and surrender my PR card
  3. If I surrender my PR card then what happens to my bank account/ car/ mortgage/ firm established etc which are in my name
  4. Can my wife apply for my PR after I surrender
  5. I would also apply for renewal of my family PR card since the waiting for citizenship is appx one year, will it help if I submit my papers for renewal of PR with my family.

My main objective is to be in Canada with family , continue doing my consultancy services from Canada and should be able to travel outside Canada and eventually be able to apply for Citizenship. What are the options available.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would like to explain the background

1. My wife, son and myself we immigrated to Canada in the year 2014 ( just for landing) – Stayed less than a week
  2. None of us were in Canada at all from in 2015 and till mid-year 2016.We could not immigrate as my son was studying and it was difficult to withdraw him from school at that time, this the delay in .
  3. In mid year 2016 – We purchased a house in London Ontario and a car ( all in my spouse name) and my son started studying at university. He is currently in year 3 Age 20 years. I was outside Canada as I could not find a job in Canada to support my family
  4. My spouse and son will complete 1095 days in 2019 and will be eligible to apply for citizenship.
  5. I have a bank account/investments in Canada and a credit card. I also have a driving license/health card ( health card has never been used). My credit card is being used in Canada. The telephone bills and internet bills come under my name.
  6. I have done appx 100 days in Canada from 2016 till date. I expect to complete appx 270 days in Canada till my PR expires in Feb 2020.
  7. I am aware that one option is that I don’t leave Canada till I complete 2 years and then can apply for renewal of my PR
  8. I just sold my asset and have transferred significant money in Canada ( can be proven by bank statements) as now my permanent residence will be Canada.
I really need your advice on the below

1. I have open a sole proprietorship firm in Canada where I provide consulting services. I will be based in Canada however there may be frequent travels outside Canada of 2-3 days to meet the consultancy requirement. This will not exceed total travels of more than 60 days in a year outside Canada going forward.
I want to explore the following

1. If I apply for renewal of PR in Feb 2020, at that time having a house/ car and family ties will it help in renewing the PR .
  2. If PR renewal is not guaranteed or not possible , then how can I stay in Canada & travel outside Canada ,& invoice from Canada and funds will be received in Canada ( can I get work permit to do business) and surrender my PR card
  3. If I surrender my PR card then what happens to my bank account/ car/ mortgage/ firm established etc which are in my name
  4. Can my wife apply for my PR after I surrender
  5. I would also apply for renewal of my family PR card since the waiting for citizenship is appx one year, will it help if I submit my papers for renewal of PR with my family.

My main objective is to be in Canada with family , continue doing my consultancy services from Canada and should be able to travel outside Canada and eventually be able to apply for Citizenship. What are the options available.
If you are not compliant with your RO you could be reported at any time. You should not apply to renew your PR card until you have the 730 days in Canada within 5 years. You can try to enter via the Canadian land border with your COPR but you will likely get reported especially if you attempt repeatedly. The only way to solve your problem is to stay in Canada long enough to become compliant with your RO.