+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not losing my PR status

tawwad

Apr 20, 2012
I am a PR resident along with my wife, we received our PR back in 2012, we did the landing, received the PR and returned back to our home country because of taken care of my old father and mother. Never returned back to Canada. I have now two daughters (NO PR for them). My PR is still active until November 2017.
I am still not ready to live permanently in Canada, but i don't want to lose the PR.

what are my best options? I want to live there but maybe after 3-5 years from now. What should I do, and what are my best options?

Looking forward to receive your advice.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There are no good options available to you and you should be prepared for the high possibility you will lose your PR status. You have two choices for trying to keep your PR status once you are ready to return to Canada in 3-5 years:

1) You can apply for a Travel Document based on humanitarian & compassionate needs and use your parents as a reason for not being able to return to Canada. In order for this to work, you will have to provide hard evidence to prove your parents were unable to live on their own (due to serious illness) and there was no other family member to take care of them in your home country. The evidence you provide should include things such as hospitalization records, doctors notes, etc. You should also ensure this evidence covers all of the years you were out of Canada. If you are simply taking care of your parents because they are elderly, this likely won't be accepted as a reason. If the Travel Document is refused, you can try appealing (although there probably won't be much point). If this is refused as well, your PR status will be gone.

2) Alternatively, you can obtain a US visitor visa, fly to the US and then try re-entering Canada by land using your COPR. For this to work, you will need to obtain BOTH a US visitor visa and a Canadian visitor visa for your two daughters. It's possible you may be reported at the border for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are, you will have to appear in a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status. If you lose this hearing and any appeal, you will lose your PR status and be forced to leave Canada. If you are not reported at the border, then you will have to stay in Canada for two straight years without leaving for even one day to meet the residency requirement. Once you have lived in Canada for these two years, you will then be able to renew your PR card. If you don't already have a SIN, you should expect it may not be possible to get one and work during this two year period. It may also be difficult for you and your wife to get health care coverage. As for your daughters, you will not be able to sponsor them until you have lived in Canada for 2 years and meet the residency requirement. During this two year period, you should expect they will not have health care coverage and that it may be difficult for them to go to school.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Depending on the date you landed in Canada, your PR status may already be in jeopardy.

As a PR, you have a very generous (on Canada's part) minimum requirement of living 730 days in each 5 year period in Canada.

Do not confuse your PR card validity dates with the residency obligation.

If you are not "ready to live permanently in Canada now, but maybe after 3-5 years from now", consider this: PR visas are granted to people who show they are qualified, willing and ready to settle & live in Canada. They are not granted as a convenience to individuals. Sure, sometimes *exceptional* situations happen which prevent people from meeting the RO, & CIC takes those into consideration.

What is the *exceptional* situation which prevents you from meeting RO?