+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOT CANADA.......

Nicholas

Star Member
Aug 6, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some very good comments here.

I have read Not Canada, and in truth some people are going to fail, while most succeed. If I were to create a website caled Yes Canada and removed the nagative post one would have a different picture. That aside, there are great challenges that one faces when moving to a new country.

People on this forum know that I am Canadian. I have spent most of my working life outside of Canada. My life and income are comfortable, and I don't know if that would be the same if I return to Canada. My Korean wife if fussy as to where in Canada she wants to live, and I'm not sure if I can make the same living as I do now. I am prepared to do whatever it takes. Yes, I might even have to drive a taxi or something until I get settled. I do know that there are fears that I have to face, but it will work out in the long run.

From my experience, immigrants who have a comforatbale life in their home countries will find the first years in Canada to be difficult. You are most likely to find a job below your present level, but in time most can move up. There are also many who come to Canada from a life of poverty, and as soon as they arrive, they are moving up. Each new step is a positive one. Having their children to even complete high school was something they could only dream about before. Sometimes the pooer immigrants have an advantage because they are met by church and social groups that assist in their settlement. I know of one man in Edmonton (from Chile)who's family settled in Canada (Edmonton) as refugees, and when they arrived a church group helped them find a home to rent. They sent out letters to neighbors informing them that there is a new family living on their block and if they had any spare toys or basic things for living to donate them for pick up. They became very welcome and within a few days they had everything they needed. This doesn't really happen to people who immigrate to Canada who have come on their own skills or incomes.

When you come to Canada, Australia or the U.S. leave your pride at the door and get busy living your life.

aspire

Champion Member
Jul 13, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2009
File Transfer...
29-03-2009
Med's Request
21-01-2011
Med's Done....
17-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-03-2011(pspt submitted 09-04-2011)
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2011 (passport received 17-05-2011)
LANDED..........
26-06-2011
Do not browse notcanada.com when you are planning to immigrate to Canada. Just focus on your dreams.

maoist

Jul 18, 2009
Immigrate to Canada for the sake of your children, if for nothing else.

If you cannot find a good job in Canada, you will probably still be able to survive and send your children to school. Canada has a world-class public education system. If your children study hard, they will have a good future when they grow.

Also, Canada truly celebrates diversity, and the chances of your children keeping their roots are higher than in USA which is more like a melting pot.

If you are Chinese or Indian, when your children grow up and if they are smart, they will have the best of both worlds - the good education they received in Canada, the relative safety and stability of Canada, and the opportunities in China and India --- because if they still keep their Chinese or Indian roots, they can always go to China and India to build their careers or businesses, which by that time will be the largest markets in the world.

charninder said:
sanjeevindia said:
aspire said:
Do not browse notcanada.com when you are planning to immigrate to Canada. Just focus on your dreams.
very well said aspire.
I also agree with aspire.

Good Luck.

Ra00

May 29, 2009
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i strongly agree with moist...i thought immigration only for the good future of my kids.
maoist said:
Immigrate to Canada for the sake of your children, if for nothing else.

If you cannot find a good job in Canada, you will probably still be able to survive and send your children to school. Canada has a world-class public education system. If your children study hard, they will have a good future when they grow.

Also, Canada truly celebrates diversity, and the chances of your children keeping their roots are higher than in USA which is more like a melting pot.

If you are Chinese or Indian, when your children grow up and if they are smart, they will have the best of both worlds - the good education they received in Canada, the relative safety and stability of Canada, and the opportunities in China and India --- because if they still keep their Chinese or Indian roots, they can always go to China and India to build their careers or businesses, which by that time will be the largest markets in the world.

charninder said:
sanjeevindia said:
aspire said:
very well said aspire.
I also agree with aspire.

Good Luck.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
JOLTBOLT said:
Hi All, I have received a request to send my passport for visa stamping. Although this seems like good news, I am very apprehensive after doing a little bit of research on the job and employment prospects in Canada. I found far more forums and articals that are negative than that are actually positive.Like this for example notcanada.com .

I was wondering what other members of this forum think about this issue. Please post your thoughts.
Perfect timing! Now you found that Canada is not that good after getting a PPR?

I think you should have done this 5 years ago when you was applying. You need to keep an open mind, there is bad and good, but if you don't try, you don't win - you lose only. Job market is not that good right now for any country so Canada is one of them. Don't expect too much as soon as you immigrate, it will take time to settle in.

Rest, you still can pull the plug - your call.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
The good thing is that the OP can wait for 3 years to see if the economy is improving before going there. It really depends on his/her situation in their own country.

Just as an example, I don't intend to "rough" it out in Canada (in the unlikely chance I get my PR). I would rather go somewhere else and then move later to Canada if I do get a job there. Whereas I know many people, who are willing to go to Canada and figure out the job situation. Neither is good nor bad, it all depends on personal preference and situation.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
rupeshhari said:
The good thing is that the OP can wait for 3 years to see if the economy is improving before going there. It really depends on his/her situation in their own country.

Just as an example, I don't intend to "rough" it out in Canada (in the unlikely chance I get my PR). I would rather go somewhere else and then move later to Canada if I do get a job there. Whereas I know many people, who are willing to go to Canada and figure out the job situation. Neither is good nor bad, it all depends on personal preference and situation.
As well as how much education and experience you have and with the Day One corporate attitude, you need to be aggressive to get into the corporate system.

simplesimon

Star Member
Jul 10, 2009
I was curious and visited NOTCANADA website. It is full of horror stories and can be quite discouraging.

I know its not going to be a walk in the park to start making a life all over again and psychologically difficult to take a job at a lower level, but that is how it is. One cannot expect to be hired at the same designation and salary as back home because at the end of the day you have no Canadian experience.

As for Racism, one needs also to look at one self and see what have I done to integrate myself into the society that I have chosen to adopt ? we also have a part to play in the treatment we receive - when you put up barriers and remain insular you are "different" and "different" brings out racism because people are wary of you, they dont know you. We are guilty of being racist at some point or other in our life.

I have friends who tell me - yes you do start at the bottom but you move up very quickly - Canadians will reward hard work - it is all merit based and im hoping that it is true.

For me, moving to Canada will mean giving up a senior Managerial post with all the perks - company car and ulimited medical benefit, warm sunny climate, househelp justin order to have a good night's sleep and not to wake up to a news bulletin saying your country is now under military rule !

It really depends what your aspirations and priorities are for your life and family. !

The other point is that - I may not be able to adjust or like it but after getting my PR - I can basically move anywhere in the world where an opportunity presents itself and will always be assured that in the event that I need to return to Canada I can always do so. All you give up is 3 yrs of your life.

jojobaba

Star Member
Jun 22, 2009
Dear BKuper

I want to know whats happening in Australia. Why are u moving from Australia to Canada ? Are there less opprtunities in Australia ? or otherwise. Whats ur native country ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
simplesimon said:
The other point is that - I may not be able to adjust or like it but after getting my PR - I can basically move anywhere in the world where an opportunity presents itself and will always be assured that in the event that I need to return to Canada I can always do so. All you give up is 3 yrs of your life.
You have to stay in Canada 2 years in any 5 year period to keep your PR or if you live in Canada as a PR for 3 years, you can apply for citizenship and that way you can go away as long as you like and always come back.

bkuper

Star Member
Jul 2, 2009
jojobaba - good question.

Actually, Australia is generally a great place to live, although it has its share of problems like any other.
For us, there is really only one major reason to want to leave and that's because we have no family in Australia.
We have been here 10 years and they have actually been quite lonely years, especially after our son was born and had no close family to fuss over him or cousins to play with. It has been very hard for us without parents/siblings etc around. We were hoping that some of them would want to come over here, but it appears unlikely after all this time. In Canada, both of us have quite a few family members, all living in Toronto and moving there will give us a chance to reconnect with them.

I am originally from South Africa

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
Out of curiosity, do you know if there is still lots of south africans moving to Australia nowadays?