+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not authorized to work in any location other than stated

adelinee

Dec 10, 2019
Hello,

Last week me and my partner flagpoled to get our new work permits.

His permit is a closed work permit with an LMIA and he will be working as a carpenter (so he will be working in different construction sites as needed).

Employer location is stated in Abbotsford (where office is) but he will be working mainly in Langley.

In the notes it is said that he is not authorized to work in any other location other than stated. Is this a problem?

On his previous work permit (same job but different empoyer) he had a note saying he could work in different locations..
Thanks!

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Hello,

Last week me and my partner flagpoled to get our new work permits.

His permit is a closed work permit with an LMIA and he will be working as a carpenter (so he will be working in different construction sites as needed).

Employer location is stated in Abbotsford (where office is) but he will be working mainly in Langley.

In the notes it is said that he is not authorized to work in any other location other than stated. Is this a problem?

On his previous work permit (same job but different empoyer) he had a note saying he could work in different locations..
Thanks!
Yes, it is very important. The location of work (mandatory imposition) is in accordance with the LMIA issued or requirement. The issue mostly arise from employer with several franchise locations but indicates only one location on the offer of employment submitted. Then the work permit will reflect the physical location of work and restrict the work to that location. The employer ought to indicates in the offer of employment that the worker will be working at multiple work locations i.e Abbotsford and Langley. If you compare the previous LMIA and offer of employment or contract letters, you will notice the difference/s.

adelinee

Dec 10, 2019
Yes, it is very important. The location of work (mandatory imposition) is in accordance with the LMIA issued or requirement. The issue mostly arise from employer with several franchise locations but indicates only one location on the offer of employment submitted. Then the work permit will reflect the physical location of work and restrict the work to that location. The employer ought to indicates in the offer of employment that the worker will be working at multiple work locations i.e Abbotsford and Langley. If you compare the previous LMIA and offer of employment or contract letters, you will notice the difference/s.
Yes, on the Lmia and offer of employment it is stated that locations may vary - I am sure it was the officer mistake not to mention this! Now is there any way to fix it from within canada?