+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not allowed to work until having SIN number

nothingtt28

Star Member
Nov 30, 2017
Ok guys,

Let me share you all my long troublesome story. And please I need your advice or sharing.

I was a PhD student in US and just graduated last November. I made decision for a postdoc job in Canada because of PR application in the future. Staying in the States will bring me longer time and it is hard to get green card there. I applied and got a work permit to Canada.

I drove across the border last Saturday and expected to start working on Mon Feb 12th 2018 at the University of Alberta. Honestly I didn't know/ recognize the problem of SIN card before. I went to school on Monday and was asked to go applying for SIN card. And it was said that I would obtain the number right away.
Unfortunately, my case was not. The officer at Service Canada said that there was an error in my files that she couldn't issue me a number right away. She had to mail my document to the head office, asking to get it fixed and mailing to my address later on. At that time, I even didn't recognize that it would bring me troubles. The University said that I am not allowed to work until they see my SIN card physically. I am feeling very frustrated and fed up now. HR people do not know anything and absolutely are not professional and helpful trying to find the answer if I can work....They are definitely not flexible to find me a solution. I didn't think this is a big problem because I do have a work permit. And probably I thought in the US way, in US they can put you in the system right away and will update the SSN number after you get it...

I tried to get to the school as soon as I made decision to Canada. But now I am stuck in Edmonton, very very cold now. They even didn't assign me an office to seat. They said they cant do anything until I have my SIN number. And in the occasion of Lunar New Year while I am an Asian, really expect that the Lunar New Year will bring me the good luck and happiness. But not at all.

Please anyone ever has any problem as my case, do you have any way to get the SIN card asap? Cause Canadian government officer said it would take normally 19-20 business days. Urgent case will spend at least 10 business days. It is really a painful problem indeed.

Thank you very much in advance.

All the best,
VT.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It is a big problem, and the HR department is correct. Until they can confirm you have a SIN number, you can't work. Period. Had it been a situation where you forgot your SIN number at home and could bring it in the next day, probably not an issue. But not having one at all means you are not in the tax system yet.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/ei-employers-sin.html

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is necessary to work in Canada and to access government programs and benefits such as Employment Insurance and the Canada Pension Plan.

nothingtt28

Star Member
Nov 30, 2017
I am trying to find whatever I can to fix the problem. I called the Employment Insurance Call Center yesterday. And was advised that they are working on it. Then it was said that as long as they fix it, the employer can call to their call center to obtain my SIN number. This is matched with the information in the link you gave. But the university also rejected to do so. They said they need to see the "government issued document" SIN card. And now I'm not sure how long it will take for them to mail back to my address here.

Anyone has similar problem like mine? Please advise. I'm much appreciated.