+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Noob question]Filing my first Income tax returns for 2018

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by decent1984, Feb 20, 2019.

  1. Hi there,

    I will be filing my first Income tax returns for 2018 for the 5 months that I have worked in canada[Aug-dec 2018]. My question is as it is my first time filing taxes, can i do it like everybody else and use turbo tax or should I do paper-based filing.

  2. First time filing would be via paper.
  3. I disagree. I filed my first time using UFile online - free version in 2011. Unless there are now specific new rules stating that you need to make a paper application.

    Cheryllove likes this.
  4. Not anymore. Landed in 2017 and filled my 2017 return in 2018 using SimpleTax online with no issue. Also was a CRA tax volunteer from February to May 2018 and assisted many first time tax filers (new immigrants and residents turning 18) to file their taxes online. In U-File there is a specific question asking whether this was your first time filing.
  5. I can confirm that you can file your first tax return online like everyone else. Only if you LEAVE Canada, then you have to file on paper for that year (at least that's the current situation).
  6. Newcomer here, have to file tax return for my first return, 1) should I use simpletax or ufile? I made profile on simpletax, haven't submitted yet. Secondly thinking it perhaps over that 2) should i do it via an accountant, please enlighten me here.
    Thanks in anticipation!
  7. jojee2k6 likes this.

Share This Page