+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non-Routine Citizenship Processing Time

Ron1580

Mar 25, 2014
Hi Everybody,

We applied as a family for citizenship grant Oct 2010 and attend our citizenship test on Feb 2012 (Scarborough Office) they told us we should wait for judge hearing and we didn't receive residential questionnaire and every time I call the Call Centre they just say wait more and they don't know how long or even why we should see a judge ! I asked for my information and they sent tit to me, we fulfilled the required time period.
but today Call Centre told me wait for one more year ! it's easy for them to say that.

I asked the MP to help me out but he did nothing, I think every time I follow up with them they postpone our application, they hate to be questioned !

Any Advice ?

Ron

ZYXWVU98

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
one option is to file for mandamus, this will compel cic give you a decision. the side effect is it is going to cost you money, and your case may get more scrutiny from CIC.

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is scary... Did anything in your app was under question? i.e. What is your home country? Any travels?

Ron1580 said:
Hi Everybody,

We applied as a family for citizenship grant Oct 2010 and attend our citizenship test on Feb 2012 (Scarborough Office) they told us we should wait for judge hearing and we didn't receive residential questionnaire and every time I call the Call Centre they just say wait more and they don't know how long or even why we should see a judge ! I asked for my information and they sent tit to me, we fulfilled the required time period.
but today Call Centre told me wait for one more year ! it's easy for them to say that.

I asked the MP to help me out but he did nothing, I think every time I follow up with them they postpone our application, they hate to be questioned !

Any Advice ?

Ron

nmc88

Sep 13, 2012
Hello Ron,

I'm in a similar situation, except my waiting time is even longer! :(
I've been in Canada for close to 11 years. I sent my application for citizenship grant in October 2009. Had the citizenship test in January 2011 and nothing since. No RQ, no other requests from immigration. I call regularly, but their answer is always the same : still in process, they are doing your checks, just wait.... Well, at least last time I called the agent was a nice guy and recommended I send a letter to the local office (Montreal). They received it a week ago (I sent it as registered) and now I'm waiting to find out at least something from them. I had contacted my MP previously but no results either, same answer. My best friend and my cousin have applied much later (about 2 years after me) and they both got their citizenship already, so I don't know what to make of it?
If nothing happens in the next few months, I'm seriously considering hiring a lawyer, although I really don't want to but will have no choice!

daktrader

Apr 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nmc88 said:
Hello Ron,

I've been in Canada for close to 11 years. I sent my application for citizenship grant in October 2009. Had the citizenship test in January 2011 and nothing since. No RQ, no other requests from immigration. I call regularly, but their answer is always the same : still in process, they are doing your checks, just wait.... Well, at least last time I called the agent was a nice guy and recommended I send a letter to the local office (Montreal). They received it a week ago (I sent it as registered) and now I'm waiting to find out at least something from them. I had contacted my MP previously but no results either, same answer. My best friend and my cousin have applied much later (about 2 years after me) and they both got their citizenship already, so I don't know what to make of it?
If nothing happens in the next few months, I'm seriously considering hiring a lawyer, although I really don't want to but will have no choice!
I recommend you order your ATIP report and ask the CIC Call Ctr to send a message to your local office to get an update (this way is faster than you sending a letter).If you do not have a RQ then the processing time well beyond the average...

Arc09

Jun 2, 2014
nmc88 said:
Hello Ron,

Our time frames are quite similar. We are still waiting as well. Have you heard back?

nmc88

Sep 13, 2012
No, unfortunately nothing still. I called immigration and the only thing the agent told me is that the local office received my letter and that they are still working on it. In 3 months it will be 5 years since I sent in my citizenship application so I'm thinking of sending a letter to the immigration minister (I doubt that will make a difference but it's worth a try) and then get a lawyer. I wish they could at least tell me what it is or ask me for anything at all.

FL1040

Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aplication sent in early April 2013

Processing started on July 7

RQ received on Oct 4

RQ returned Nov 20

Notification to prepare for citizenship exam received Dec 22

We sent you a notice on February 27, 2014 to appear and write the citizenship test on March 18, 2014

We sent you a notice on June 23, 2014 to appear and take the oath of citizenship at the citizenship ceremony to be held on July 10, 2014 at 8:30 AM.

In total 15 months, non-routine application, Montreal office

FL1040

Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nmc88 said:
No, unfortunately nothing still. I called immigration and the only thing the agent told me is that the local office received my letter and that they are still working on it. In 3 months it will be 5 years since I sent in my citizenship application so I'm thinking of sending a letter to the immigration minister (I doubt that will make a difference but it's worth a try) and then get a lawyer. I wish they could at least tell me what it is or ask me for anything at all.
Get an ATIP and write to your local MP

Inaki

Jan 31, 2012
Ron,

I applied July 2010 and they are still doing the checks on the file, I have requested two Atips, my MP office called them, I sent a letter to the local office and I am still on the wait. No Rq, no documentation required.

I dont believe that contracting a lawyer will help because apparently they are still doing something "background check", this is my opinion, but I must be wrong.

I assume you had to renew your PR Card. was it easy?

Arc09

Jun 2, 2014
nmc88 said:
I just contacted my local MP..the only thing different they told me was that my rq was finally sent to an officer August 2014. They advised me to call in December if I don't hear till then.. i'm sure i'll have to call. Any luck?

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nmc88 said:
Hello Ron,

You are 11 years in Canada as a PR ? Did you travel outside before applying for Citizenship? When did you become a PR?

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
IMO, most of the times, refugee who traveled back to their home country will have a big problem in citizenship process, because basically their PR status should be revoked when they could go back, then they shouldn't make it to the citizenship. Another thing is if you ever being convicted or charged with serious crime. Drunk driving conviction is considered a serious crime, assault too. Then your declarations in the citizenship application are different with PR application. For example, when applying for PR, you went under business class, declared that you wanted to invest in Canada, but when you arrived, asking for social welfare from day-1. Or you married with Canadian and applied for the PR, then divorced right after you got the PR.
So when you are telling your story about your application being processed very long, you have to be specific too about the condition of the application.