+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NON-ROUTINE APPLICANTS

Liman1

Feb 18, 2020
Note: the post you quote was made more than a year ago. Older posts can be helpful but things change and can otherwise be dated or in need of updating. I am no expert and am always trying to learn more and understand things better, and am well aware that what I stated a year ago may need some clarification or correction.

One of the things we have learned since that post is that after the surge of new applications in late 2017 and early 2018 there has actually been a significant decline in the number of new applications. Hard to figure out how this has affected processing timelines.

Your timeline is remarkably long. I could only guess at what might be the problem. If the request for supplementary documents was the CIT 0171 form, which is the Residence Questionnaire and sometimes referred to as the full-blown version (in contrast to CIT 0520 often referred to as RQ-lite), your application could be in a lengthy queue waiting for a Citizenship Officer to prepare a referral to a Citizenship Judge.

Some here will recommend making the ATIP request for a copy of your file. Enough time has passed to justify doing that. However, I am not sure you will learn much from what you get.

In any event, YES, you can request that IRCC take action on your application. Whether that will lead to action is difficult to forecast. Such a demand is a prerequisite to pursuing legal recourse (via an application to the Federal Court for Mandamus). It is best to consult with a lawyer first, and if this is the route you go, to have a lawyer make the demand and otherwise prepare to make a Mandamus case.

BUT what you should do depends in significant part on what the issues are. You know your case, your facts, so you should have a fair idea why there are questions.
Thank you so much for your prompt reaction and the useful information. Do you have an idea of how much will cost me huring the service of a Lawer for such type of case. And for my application there is nothing particular except the request that the request was actually the CIT 0171. And that I really did went out of the country sevral time. But ensure that I really fullfilled the necessary physical presence.

Kittyz

Jan 8, 2013
OK then my case may not be a non-routine since when I contacted them, unlike yours, they never mentioned my case is non-routine.
However, they told my MP: they are currently reviewing the residency requirements. I suppose it means they are checking if I have stayed here for at least 3 years, which I think it is the same thing as the "SECONDARY REVIEW", but this time they do not call it that!
Hi
I have cleared the Citizenship test in July 2019, but during the interview, i have been asked to provide passport translated doc (CIT0520), and i provided the same in July 2019. Waiting since 8 months, no update.

I would assume, that my application went for secondary review, ordered GCMS notes recently, doesn't show any activity since Aug 2019, at the time my file been transferred to GTA- CEN IRCC office.

In the GCMS notes, it is shown that Eligibility residence is in progress. But since no activity since Aug 2019, does that mean my application is simply lying in the table?

Could you and others please share your updates and experience, really appreciate and very helpful.

Thanks.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi
I have cleared the Citizenship test in July 2019, but during the interview, i have been asked to provide passport translated doc (CIT0520), and i provided the same in July 2019. Waiting since 8 months, no update.

I would assume, that my application went for secondary review, ordered GCMS notes recently, doesn't show any activity since Aug 2019, at the time my file been transferred to GTA- CEN IRCC office.

In the GCMS notes, it is shown that Eligibility residence is in progress. But since no activity since Aug 2019, does that mean my application is simply lying in the table?

Could you and others please share your updates and experience, really appreciate and very helpful.

Thanks.
Have you tried contacting your MP regarding the matter?

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi Smash 1984. I leave in Montreal. Which Parliament member should I reach? Provincial or Federal?
Reach out to the federal MP. Immigration is one area where they can help out.

I got the status of my PR as well as interview scheduled really quick thanks to my local federal MP.

They do have a direct line to the immigration minister, so it can sometimes help.

Kittyz

Jan 8, 2013

I got the status of my PR as well as interview scheduled really quick thanks to my local federal MP.

They do have a direct line to the immigration minister, so it can sometimes help.
I haven't reached out to MP yet.. Have you took appointment and went to MP office or reached out by email or phone? I am currently in US, which isn't helping my situation either.

Do you have any template which i could use to reach out to MP?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Liman1

Feb 18, 2020

Hello smash 1984,
Could you please tell how much time it took for you from the time you reached to your federal MP and the time you got response from IRC?
I conatcted my federal MP 10 days ago. The same day they called me back and sent them authorization and required information. I am now waiting for either the MP bureau or Immigration to contact me.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
I haven't reached out to MP yet.. Have you took appointment and went to MP office or reached out by email or phone? I am currently in US, which isn't helping my situation either.

Do you have any template which i could use to reach out to MP?

Please advise.

Thanks.
The federal MP's office was actually a walking distance from my place so I took an appointment on the phone and walked to the place.

I dont have any template but this was last year pre-corona. The MPs have a direct line to the immigration minister's office so if they want they can definitely get information.

My advantage was that the secretary of my MP (both were from NDP actually and quite friendly, i'd vote for the guy when i become citizen) knew someone at the Hamilton office of IRCC and so expedited my file. The waiting times at that time were about 8 weeks but she was able to get me through in 10 days.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hello smash 1984,
Could you please tell how much time it took for you from the time you reached to your federal MP and the time you got response from IRC?
I conatcted my federal MP 10 days ago. The same day they called me back and sent them authorization and required information. I am now waiting for either the MP bureau or Immigration to contact me.
Hi @Liman1 , I was lucky that these were pre covid days so my MPs secretary sat me down with her, got the authorization form signed and called the Minister's office right in front of me. From there she found out my PR application was approved but scheduling landing was taking at least 8 weeks. She then called in someone she knew at Hamilton IRCC office and talked to that person. I got an email a couple of days later for a scheduled landing interview the following week. So all in all probably all of it in 10 days (from the time i called to get an appointment from my MP to my landing interview).

Reactions: jc94

Kittyz

Jan 8, 2013
Hello smash 1984,
Hi Liman1,

Could you please tell me how you reached out to MP?

Thanks

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
For contacting your MP...https://www.ourcommons.ca/en/contact-us
If you click the link..https://www.ourcommons.ca/Members/en/search, you can find your constitutency MP. In the "Contact" tab, you can find his email and full contact details.

All the best!