+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non-Resident - Tax

Whacket

Nov 6, 2015
Hi, my fiance and i will be leaving Canada at the end of April and will be moving back to the UK with the plan to settle for the foreseeable future. We both have PR and have been in Canada for the last 4.5 year.

When we leave we would have sold our car, moved out of our rented apartment and will be swapping out our Canadian drivers licenses . The only ties that we have will be a small amount of items in storage that we are planning to ship back at a later date plus our bank accounts (credit card, and savings). The reason for us keeping the savings in Canada are we are hoping for the rate to change at which point we will move the money across. Credit card is so we have a means to purchase stuff until we are fully settled in the UK,

I have a few questions around this... my plan is to file a departure tax return for each of us once we leave, with the hope that we are not required to file or pay Canadian taxes when we arrive back to the UK (more upheaval than we want) - Need to be classified to be as "non-resident"

With this... does it affect my PR status in anyway? Also, if we decide once we get back we've made a terrible mistake could this affect us getting citizenship in any way? Based on what i have said, would that classify me as a non-resident? I should also add that i will not be in the country for longer than the 183 days.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hi, my fiance and i will be leaving Canada at the end of April and will be moving back to the UK with the plan to settle for the foreseeable future. We both have PR and have been in Canada for the last 4.5 year.

When we leave we would have sold our car, moved out of our rented apartment and will be swapping out our Canadian drivers licenses . The only ties that we have will be a small amount of items in storage that we are planning to ship back at a later date plus our bank accounts (credit card, and savings). The reason for us keeping the savings in Canada are we are hoping for the rate to change at which point we will move the money across. Credit card is so we have a means to purchase stuff until we are fully settled in the UK,

I have a few questions around this... my plan is to file a departure tax return for each of us once we leave, with the hope that we are not required to file or pay Canadian taxes when we arrive back to the UK (more upheaval than we want) - Need to be classified to be as "non-resident"

With this... does it affect my PR status in anyway? Also, if we decide once we get back we've made a terrible mistake could this affect us getting citizenship in any way? Based on what i have said, would that classify me as a non-resident? I should also add that i will not be in the country for longer than the 183 days.
In order to keep your PR status, you would have to fulfilled the RO which is 2 years in Canada out of 5. The other 3 years you can remain in UK. If you plan on staying longer than 3 years, then i suggest you apply for Citizenship since you have remained in Canada for almost 5 years.

Whacket

Nov 6, 2015
Hi Winderland,

I guess my question is really around the tax implication around this. If i file to be classed as a non-resident for tax reasons, then decide to come back, will this affect either my current PR or me meeting Citizen requirements in the future.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hi Winderland,

I guess my question is really around the tax implication around this. If i file to be classed as a non-resident for tax reasons, then decide to come back, will this affect either my current PR or me meeting Citizen requirements in the future.
IRCC doesn't care about whether you file taxes as resident or non resident. As long you have met your RO and your tax filing requirements (for Citizenship), your status or any future citizenship application will be fine. They might ask for more details in regards to proving your residency but shouldn't be an issue if you provide what they ask for

Whacket

Nov 6, 2015
Awesome thanks. This really helps. I now need to figure out the best way to file as a non-resident.

Thanks again