+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non-Resident & Schedule A

goal.stopper

Mar 31, 2018
Hi everyone.

I've been a non-resident of Canada for a few years now, but never had worldwide income before.

This year I've made some money outside Canada. As a non-resident, I know I don't have to report this income to CRA; that is, they won't tax me on it.

But in the CRA guide, they say that although I don't report the income, the income MUST be entered on Schedule A (Statement of World Income).

Does anyone know the rationale why I should enter my world income? Does CRA just want to know for statistical purposes. And what happens if I just don't tell them for one or more years? Can I be penalized, or can my world income be audited?

Thanks to anyone who has some idea about this!!

goal.stopper

Mar 31, 2018
The guide's name: General Income Tax and Benefit Guide for Non-Residents and Deemed Residents of Canada 2017.

The page number: 6 at the top of the second column.

"Other types of income are not reported but must be entered on Schedule A, Statement of World Income."

GIE34

Jun 8, 2017
Hi, just want some help and advice, been out of status for awhile, and had a child but never applied nor file for income tax since . This year my husband sponsored me thru inland spousal sponsorship, can he claim me and our child , and the child tax benefit? He claimed me 2 yrs ago as a wife, but no child benefits but after a year CRA took back the money, coz they're asking for my informationwhich he didn't provide coz that time we haven't filed the sponsorship yet so last year he filed his income as single. But since this year, we applied for sponsorship, and im on the stage where it's in process already, can he include me as a wife and how to avail the child benefit?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, should really use professional accountants to sort it out.