+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non resident income tax - Steaky/Jonboy please advise

Stephen1

Dec 29, 2011
Hi steaky / Jonboy

Although I received my PR in 2009, I never decided to settle down in Canada. I tried to find suitable employment in both 2009 and 2010 when I visited Canada, but, was unsuccessful. So in both occasions I returned to where I was employed. My family started residing in Canada in 2011 and continue to do so. My son is in a university in Ontario. I send money to pay for apartment rent and other expenses to my son's account in RBC monthly.

To be very honest, I have no intention to come and live in Canada so, I will lose my PR in 2014. What happens after 2014, I will think when I reached there. However, my family will continue to live there.

1) Based on the above, do I need to file tax eventhough I have no Canadian income?

2) If yes, what is the procedure? Can I do it online or do I need to visit any tax office in Canada??(I'm out of Canada except for a month or so in any given year)

3) If I ignore to file a tax return, will it affect my wife/son's tax status?

I thank you guys in advance.

Stephen

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I were in your shoes, I would make a collect call to the International Tax Office of Canada Revenue Agency:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/international-eng.html

Stephen1

Dec 29, 2011
Thank you Steaky for your suggestion. From the link you have provided, I tried to understand the rules which will determine my status for Canadian tax purposes, but, that's too much information which is considered legal jargon. You are going around in circles when you start reading them.

I think the best course of action would be to meet a tax advisor. Do you think you could direct me to someone in Kitchener- Waterloo area so that my family can go and see them?

Thanks

Stephen

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like I said, you can contact the International Tax Office and explain to them your situation. I don't know anyone in Ontario, sorry!