+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non resident Canadian with Ontario Drivers License deemed resident for tax purposes?

Jan_119

Jul 14, 2017
Hi, I'm a non-resident Canadian, living and working abroad. I have a foreign drivers license but want to maintain my Ontario drivers license using my parents address. I don't want to give up my Ontario DL (my country of residence has no license exchange agreement with Canada and so I had to go through the hassle of the Ontario graduated licensing program even though I had 20+ years of driving experience!).
My question is...if I hold on to my Ontario drivers license with absolutely no other ties to Canada would this make me a resident for Canadian tax purposes? Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I'm a non-resident Canadian, living and working abroad. I have a foreign drivers license but want to maintain my Ontario drivers license using my parents address. I don't want to give up my Ontario DL (my country of residence has no license exchange agreement with Canada and so I had to go through the hassle of the Ontario graduated licensing program even though I had 20+ years of driving experience!).
My question is...if I hold on to my Ontario drivers license with absolutely no other ties to Canada would this make me a resident for Canadian tax purposes? Thanks.
No it doesn’t make you a resident for tax purposes. Doesn’t mean you can keep your license though if you are obtaining a license in another country. You are also providing misleading information about your current address. The big issue is whether you plan on actually using the license again.

Jan_119

Jul 14, 2017
Thanks. I will use my foreign DL when coming for short visits to rent a car and drive in Ontario.
I only want to keep renewing my Ontario DL (not the health card) to avoid going through the costly and time consuming graduated DL program again in case I have to move back to Canada. Only if I move back, I will use my Ontario DL again.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks. I will use my foreign DL when coming for short visits to rent a car and drive in Ontario.
I only want to keep renewing my Ontario DL (not the health card) to avoid going through the costly and time consuming graduated DL program again in case I have to move back to Canada. Only if I move back, I will use my Ontario DL again.
You aren’t going to be able to keep renewing your DL indefinitely without living in Canada.