+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non-Resident and Citizenship - Help required

ic162k

Star Member
May 17, 2014
Hello guys,

I am Canadian Citizen and wife as PR (completed 2 years and 2 months in Canada). I moved down to US in April 2018 along with my wife as i got a job here (on TN Visa). Now my wife still needs to complete her 3 years residency in order to be eligible to apply for citizenship. she is moving back to Canada and she will stay there. I will also move back once my TN status is expired.

Q1 - If I file the tax return as non-resident for 2018(file as jointly maybe?) , will this have any effect on the citizenship application for my wife?

Q2 - and this year 2019 my wife will spend most of the time in Canada, will i have to file Tax return for 2020 as "resident" since my wife is in Canada?

your comments/suggestion are appreciated
Thanks,

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
Hello guys,

I am Canadian Citizen and wife as PR (completed 2 years and 2 months in Canada). I moved down to US in April 2018 along with my wife as i got a job here (on TN Visa). Now my wife still needs to complete her 3 years residency in order to be eligible to apply for citizenship. she is moving back to Canada and she will stay there. I will also move back once my TN status is expired.

Q1 - If I file the tax return as non-resident for 2018(file as jointly maybe?) , will this have any effect on the citizenship application for my wife?

Q2 - and this year 2019 my wife will spend most of the time in Canada, will i have to file Tax return for 2020 as "resident" since my wife is in Canada?

your comments/suggestion are appreciated
Thanks,

Your non resident status for tax purpose should have no impact on your wife’s citizenship application. However, your wife must show that she filed for taxes in the years prior to applying for the citizenship.

In her tax filing, she can claim that she’s still married. Her global household income will include your US income too. She will not need to pay federal taxes if that’s not her income. However, she needs to file that she’s married, living in Canada but husband is in US and non resident in Canada.

ic162k

Star Member
May 17, 2014
Your non resident status for tax purpose should have no impact on your wife’s citizenship application. However, your wife must show that she filed for taxes in the years prior to applying for the citizenship.

In her tax filing, she can claim that she’s still married. Her global household income will include your US income too. She will not need to pay federal taxes if that’s not her income. However, she needs to file that she’s married, living in Canada but husband is in US and non resident in Canada.
Thank you very much... it cleared lot of ambiguity