+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non-resident and 183-day rule

AbdelAllah

Aug 24, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,
I'm a Canadian citizen and plan to cut all my ties to Canada, no house, no spouse nor dependant children, no properties nor car, no furniture, no driving license, no health card, etc
I will just keep my bank account and passport.
I will establish my residency in another country which has a tax treaty with Canada.

My question is, if with all of the above, I spend more than 183 days in Canada in a specific year, am I going to be considered a resident of Canada and pay taxes for the whole year in Canada?

Thanks,
~A

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,
I'm a Canadian citizen and plan to cut all my ties to Canada, no house, no spouse nor dependant children, no properties nor car, no furniture, no driving license, no health card, etc
I will establish my residency in another country which has a tax treaty with Canada.

My question is, if with all of the above, I spend more than 183 days in Canada in a specific year, am I going to be considered a resident of Canada and pay taxes for the whole year in Canada?

Thanks,
~A
You can phone CRA.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

Thanks,
~A
CRA will determine your tax residency status. Not only based on time in Canada. What financial accounts you have in Canada will be a factor. You need to also inform your provincial health authority when you leave.

AbdelAllah

Aug 24, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your reply, to simplify my question:
With no ties to Canada, if I spend more than 183 in Canada, do I have to pay taxes?
Thanks,
~A

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With no ties to Canada, if I spend more than 183 in Canada, do I have to pay taxes?
Thanks,
~A
You will have to phone CRA. They determine whether you pay taxes or not.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Thanks,
~A
You'll have to file taxes if you are in Canada more than 183 days. Keep in mind, that only means filing. Canada does not tax income earned outside of Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You'll have to file taxes if you are in Canada more than 183 days. Keep in mind, that only means filing. Canada does not tax income earned outside of Canada.
Canada can tax income earned outside of Canada. It depends on how you are earning the money and tax treaties. Sadly many people do get away with not being taxed on foreign earned income but that doesn’t mean that it is legal.

AbdelAllah

Aug 24, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada can tax income earned outside of Canada. It depends on how you are earning the money and tax treaties. Sadly many people do get away with not being taxed on foreign earned income but that doesn’t mean that it is legal.
Exactly!, and that is why I want to make sure everything I do is legal and in the benefit of the great country I'm a citizen of.
Having said that, I hope if you have an answer to my question to help me as your answer didn't quite answer my question bro.

Regards,
~A

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Exactly!, and that is why I want to make sure everything I do is legal and in the benefit of the great country I'm a citizen of.
Having said that, I hope if you have an answer to my question to help me as your answer didn't quite answer my question bro.

Regards,
~A
No one here can answer your question. Tax residency is complex . Call the CRA.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
CRA is the only one who can determine your tax residency status. On the CRA website there is a form to fill out in order for CRA to determine your tax residency status