+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non-Dependent Children

Issababe

Jan 15, 2020
I am a permanent resident of Canada since 2 years ago. When I applied for my PR, my chilren who are no longer minors, above 22 years old, are no longer part of my application. Therefore, they were not included and examined at the time.
I do not have a spouse, no siblings, no children and no other relatives living in Canada. Can I now sponsor ONE of my non-dependent children? ARe they considered other relatives?
Pls help, anyone who could answer me, i need your response.

Issababe

Jan 15, 2020
My father is still alive. Why? :-( But he is in the Philippines.

My ex-husband, the father of my son who i want to sponsor, is still alive.

Your input is greatly appreciated

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Is there a site in the CIC program where i could read lonely Canadian ? lol
You could only apply to sponsor an non-dependent child if all of your parents/grandparents were dead. The fact that your father is alive means you can sponsor him and therefore makes you ineligible to sponsor under the Other Relative category, known on the forum as the Lonely Canadian category.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/other-relatives/who-you-can-sponsor.html

Reactions: k.h.p.

Esther1931

May 20, 2022
I have a similar situation my sibling and I are over the age of 22, my dad has been a permanent resident for 2 years and my mom recently got her visa to join him. However, we were placed as dependents on her application, where we were removed due to our age. Is there another way he can apply for us again?
I also have a half-sister living in Canada for a number of years now?
How can he apply for us to join our family over there?
We have no grandparents alive here in Guyana.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have a similar situation my sibling and I are over the age of 22, my dad has been a permanent resident for 2 years and my mom recently got her visa to join him. However, we were placed as dependents on her application, where we were removed due to our age. Is there another way he can apply for us again?
I also have a half-sister living in Canada for a number of years now?
How can he apply for us to join our family over there?
We have no grandparents alive here in Guyana.
How old are you now and how did your dad get PR? If you were over 22 when your parents received PR, then you need to immigrate based on your own merits through Express Entry or study in Canada, if approved. However, studying in Canada doesn't guarantee PR. Your father can't sponsor you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am currently 25 turning 26 in June. My sister applied for him to go 2 years ago.
So neither parent can sponsor you because you were over the age of 22 at the time of the application. As said above, you need to look at immigrating on your own merits based on age, education, skill, language, and funds. Or you can look at coming to Canada on a study permit. You need to show that you can afford to study in Canada plus show education advancement and career progression in your home country. You need to show strong ties to home country too.