+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

non-accompanying spouse sponsorship

DorianCarlmikael

Star Member
Jul 12, 2016
Hi everyone,

Been reading a lot about express entry and spousal sponsorship but still have some doubts as I read many different things.
Our situation is if we apply with him coming with me we have only 467 points which is very low, if I apply as single I would have 493, but it is my understanding that if I apply as single it is misrepresentation and won't be able to sponsor him for 3 years and might lose my PR.
So here are my questions:

1) If I apply with my common-law partner as non-accompanying, will I get more points in my Express Entry application?
2) Will I be able to sponsor my common-law partner once I receive the PR card if I were to be accepted?
3) As I will be in Canada while my common-law is in Brazil (we are already living more than one year together and have civil union certificate, proof of address to prove it), but how will I prove that if then I will have to stay 6 months in Canada until I get the PRC (we won't be together for 6 months then)
4) Can my common law partner come with a tourist visa while I am waiting for the PRC (or waiting for his sponsorship)?

Thanks in advance.

Dorian

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
If you apply as single, you will never be able to sponsor him. That would be misrepresentation, and yes, it could cause you to lose your own PR and be banned for 5 years.

If you land with him as non-accompanying, then you could sponsor him later. As a PR, you must be residing in Canada to do so.

1) No idea. You should probably ask in the EE forum.
2) You could sponsor him later, yes. You would need to be residing in Canada throughout the process.
3) I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking about proving your status as common-law? If you have lived together for 12 consecutive months, then you are common-law. You can live apart without losing that status.
4) If he is approved, yes.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
DorianCarlmikael said:
Our situation is if we apply with him coming with me we have only 467 points which is very low, if I apply as single I would have 493, but it is my understanding that if I apply as single it is misrepresentation and won't be able to sponsor him for 3 years and might lose my PR.
Be very clear about this. You are already common-law, and so you cannot apply as single. If you apply as single, you will never be able to sponsor your partner. You might also lose your own PR.

HWAW

Jul 16, 2012
If anyone could help me with the process to sponsor spouse/Dependent Children .
Im on PR in Canada and want to sponsor my family back in India.
pl help me with following:-
1. After how much time after landed as Immigrant i can sponsor my family.
2. What are the basic requirements for the same.
3.Financial Requirements required

amit202

Aug 27, 2017
If anyone could help me with the process to sponsor spouse/Dependent Children .
Im on PR in Canada and want to sponsor my family back in India.
pl help me with following:-
1. After how much time after landed as Immigrant i can sponsor my family.
2. What are the basic requirements for the same.
3.Financial Requirements required
Hello HWAW,

Did you progress with your sponsorship application ? I am also having the same doubts as you asked in your Q1 and Q3. If you can plz answer.

Thanks a lot