+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non accompanying dependent child

pheet

Dec 20, 2014
Hello all! I just wanted to inquire with anyone who has knowledge about my current situation.
I came to Canada as an immigrant when I was 10 years old back in 2001. I recently got married to my wife back in November of 2017. My wife, who currently resides in the Philippines, and I are about done with our spousal application. She has an 8 year old son with a different man who is now completely out of the picture. We have already gotten him to sign the appropriate form stating that he is allowing his son to come to Canada and have since notarized it along with 2 valid picture IDs.

The thing is, my wife and I would like to list him as a non-accompanying dependent for now. There are several reasons for this:
1. My wife's mom doesn't want him to leave just yet.
2. The son doesn't want to leave just yet either.
3. My wife and I would like to establish our lives here first before he comes. My wife is planning on going back to school and hopefully get a job right after.

We are planning on sponsoring him to come here in about 2-3 years time. We think that it'd be better for him down the road if we get ourselves ready here first before he comes.

My question now is, would the immigration officer wave a red flag on my wife's application because of this? Would this compromise my wife's application in anyway? Would immigration in general give us a hard time for not letting him accompany his mother to Canada?

Thank you very much!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all! I just wanted to inquire with anyone who has knowledge about my current situation.
I came to Canada as an immigrant when I was 10 years old back in 2001. I recently got married to my wife back in November of 2017. My wife, who currently resides in the Philippines, and I are about done with our spousal application. She has an 8 year old son with a different man who is now completely out of the picture. We have already gotten him to sign the appropriate form stating that he is allowing his son to come to Canada and have since notarized it along with 2 valid picture IDs.

The thing is, my wife and I would like to list him as a non-accompanying dependent for now. There are several reasons for this:
1. My wife's mom doesn't want him to leave just yet.
2. The son doesn't want to leave just yet either.
3. My wife and I would like to establish our lives here first before he comes. My wife is planning on going back to school and hopefully get a job right after.

We are planning on sponsoring him to come here in about 2-3 years time. We think that it'd be better for him down the road if we get ourselves ready here first before he comes.

My question now is, would the immigration officer wave a red flag on my wife's application because of this? Would this compromise my wife's application in anyway? Would immigration in general give us a hard time for not letting him accompany his mother to Canada?

Thank you very much!
Hi

No, it is not a red flag. It is quite common for children to be non-accompanying for a variety of reasons.

pheet

Dec 20, 2014
Hi

No, it is not a red flag. It is quite common for children to be non-accompanying for a variety of reasons.
Thank you for the quick reply!

Would our reasoning be enough for the application though? I can only fit in so many words on the application that it is impossible to explain in details.

Right now, this is what I have on the application:
Him and his grandmother are attached to each other

Thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

Would our reasoning be enough for the application though? I can only fit in so many words on the application that it is impossible to explain in details.

Thanks!
The reason is not important. It's yours and her personal choice whether the child will be accompanying or not, it will not affect her own PR app one way or the other.

Just make sure the child undergoes medical exam.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Thanks!
As said above, the reason doesn't matter.