+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC progression through jobs - Complex question

aneelkanth

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto
About me:
NOC 1225 applicant EE CEC.
Worked for 1 year in NOC 1524 and 1 year in 1225 (assumed based on 30% increment in wage and higher duties and responsibilities)

I have seen many people getting confused over NOCs as some C level and B level NOCs are similar.

Question is: if an applicant is claiming work experience for NOC B how can he support that claim?

Which of these points will make his case stronger:

* Explaining previous C level jobs on a LOE without having to submit reference letter for C level jobs in EE work history
* Adding C level jobs and reference letters in EE work history
* Adding C level jobs in EE personal history only (No duties and only titles provided for these C roles in this EE form)

Again, My question is how to present these previous C level jobs to CIC? (or ignore if they dont help the case)
I have seen people simply write EMPLOYED in their personal history and still attain their PR based on other evidence such as salary and education.

OhWow

Oct 17, 2015
Good question really. I worked in a B-level position, but falsely, the immigration officer 4 years ago gave me a C-level work permit, because he did not quite understand my duties or simply chose the wrong NOC. They refused my PR. I sent a letter for reconsideration explaining my case and what happened. I am hoping for the best.

But even there, I am wondering how I should add this to Express Entry in case I need to re-apply? Actually, it was a B-level, but my work permit was a C-level. So... long story short. Should I claim this experience as a B or C? Or totally not claim it at all, because apparently, according to them, I worked unauthorized. Even immigration officers mix up the NOCs. Too bad when we have to suffer because of this. :(

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
aneelkanth said:
NOC 1225 applicant EE CEC. - Worked for 1 year in NOC 1524 and 1 year in 1225 (assumed based on 30% increment in wage and higher duties and responsibilities)

Regardless of the promotion or your assumptions, CIC will simply compare your duties and responsibilities to those listed under the NOC. If there is a good correspondence, it will be accepted. If there isn't, it will not be accepted.

I have seen many people getting confused over NOCs as some C level and B level NOCs are similar.

Yes, sometimes they are, but more often than not, people simply do not recognize the significant differences between the two NOCs, whether because of language issues or wishful thinking, hard to say.

For example, the two NOCs you mention - there are very substantial differences, with 1524 looking like an assistant/clerical position, and 1225 having some substantial decision-making authority. The person working under 1524 would likely report to the person working under 1225.

Question is: if an applicant is claiming work experience for NOC B how can he support that claim?

Same as any other applicant - ensure you have the correct NOC by looking for correspondence between your duties and the NOC. If you are worried about confusion between the C level and B level positions, the first step is to clearly understand the differences yourself.

* Explaining previous C level jobs on a LOE without having to submit reference letter for C level jobs in EE work history
* Adding C level jobs and reference letters in EE work history
* Adding C level jobs in EE personal history only (No duties and only titles provided for these C roles in this EE form)

Again, My question is how to present these previous C level jobs to CIC?

You don't really have to. But if both positions are with the same employer (as in your case), it's quite OK for the letter of employment to mention both positions, but only list the details (duties/responsibilities etc.) for the skilled NOC position.

For example:

"Mr X was initially hired as a full-time purchasing assistant (NOC1524) from DATE to DATE. On DATE, Mr X was promoted to Purchasing Agent (NOC 1225), his current position. In this position, Mr X earns an annual salary of XX,XXX and works 40 hours per week. His responsibilities include..."

marmaht

Dec 14, 2014
Alberta, CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
29-06-2015
AOR Received.
17-02-2015
Med's Request
30-06-2015
Med's Done....
15-07-2015
Passport Req..
Decision made: 26-02-2016 (waiting for an email/letter from CIC to know the decision)
VISA ISSUED...
From a visa exempt country
LANDED..........
20-04-2016 (Edmonton CIC office)
How do you know your job is a B or C level according to your permit...? I can't find this information on mine

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
marmaht said:
How do you know your job is a B or C level according to your permit...? I can't find this information on mine
It doesn't say that on your permit. If you have a closed work permit, it should show a 4-digit NOC code.

Use the first 3 digits to find your skill level (left column) here:
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/html/Matrix.html

If you have an open work permit, you have to find your NOC code first, buy searching the NOC database - a job title is a good way to start, but CIC goes only by the lead statement, and the list of job duties and responsibilities -
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/SearchIndex.aspx

aneelkanth

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto

Hi Jes,

Your answer is exactly what I was seeking.

Just wanted to understand how I can outline Job 1 in the same company on the letter.
Job 2 I am sure falls under 1225 based on my duties and also the extended authority I have as opposed to my previous role.
Job 1 wasn't in the purchasing department though. It was a part of production/inventory management.

Thanks for your response!
I will PM if I have further questions.