+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC for postdoc research fellows and related questions. Is NOC necessary for CEC

dave.ma

Feb 3, 2014
Hi,

I'm a postdoc in UBC and I work in computer science department. There are tow NOCs that I can choose for my application:

1- 4011: University professors and lecturers (posdoctoral fellows are in the detailed list of titles).
Problem: Most of the duties in 4011 is about teaching however I did not have any teaching experience during the last year and half working. Most of my duties were about research and development and publications, as well as supervising some undergrad and grad students. My employer will not provide any reference letter that I have been involved in teaching.

2- 2173: Software engineer and designers.
Problem: My duties were mainly related to research and development rather than programming, coding, assessing, and testing.

or even
3- 2148, which includes engineering scientist:

"Engineering physicists and engineering scientists conduct research, develop processes, programs and equipment to expand fundamental knowledge in the applied sciences and engineering and to support advanced engineering and scientific applications."

Which one do you think is less risky that I can have it s my NOC?

As another related question, under this document (page 8 section 6.1):
op25-eng.pdf (you can find it in application guidelines)

It's clearly mentioned that:
"Note: For the purpose of Canadian Experience Class applications, the “Employment Requirements” listed in the description of each occupation are not applicable."

What does it mean? Doesn't it mean that CEC applicant don't need to find their NOC?

I do appreciate your replies.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
dave.ma said:
As another related question, under this document (page 8 section 6.1):
op25-eng.pdf (you can find it in application guidelines)

It's clearly mentioned that:
"Note: For the purpose of Canadian Experience Class applications, the “Employment Requirements” listed in the description of each occupation are not applicable."

What does it mean? Doesn't it mean that CEC applicant don't need to find their NOC?
No - you do need to find a NOC that is a good fit for your job duties.

It means that a CEC application does not require that you demonstrate the "employment requirements" listed for your NOC, such as having a bachelor's degree or diploma.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
Also - make sure you are referring to op25A-eng.pdf - as this is the one currently in effect.

EmVanc

Oct 2, 2013
Hi Dave,

I am a postdoc at UBC and got the PR under CEC last month.

I used NOC 4011, with the title postdoctoral fellow and the following duties in the reference letter:
- Design, implementation and analysis of research experiments using molecular and structural biology techniques on her designated research projects.
- Write manuscripts for publications in scientific journals or books.
- Present her work with poster and oral communications at national/international meetings and workshops.
If you add supervising grad students it is even better.

Good luck with your application...

grishan1

Sep 5, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2013
AOR Received.
Apr 12, 2013
Med's Request
Dec 7, 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Dec 18, 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 24, 2014
Take into account NOC written in your work permit

dave.ma

Feb 3, 2014
Thanks for your replies. in 25a document the note is removed so NOC is needed. I'd then go for 4011 as well.