+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC Code Identification - Help needed plz

British User

May 28, 2014
Dear team,

I Arrived British Columbia under ICT as QA Analyst(2171 - WP Occupation), but my responsibilities are mostly align closer to Software tester(2283), as my responsibilities are:

Preparing test plans
Participating test execution, regresstion testing
Participating defect triage
Requirement analysis

My employment letter offering role as QA Test analyst with above brief responsibilities, may I apply under 2283 NOC Code please advise.

Your help is highly appreciated.

THank you .......

Hope1957

Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2014
LANDED..........
21-03-15
You can write to the NOC Inquiry team and they will be able to provide you with a suitable NOC code for your occupation. Their contact is noc-cnp @ workingincanada.gc.ca

I have also read of some instances wherein some of the applicants' actual job duties did not match the job duties of the NOC on their work permits. I am not sure how they made their case to a VO, but it's best you inquire with the NOC team to provide you with a suitable NOC code for your occupation.

Good luck!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
British User said:
Dear team,

I Arrived British Columbia under ICT as QA Analyst(2171 - WP Occupation), but my responsibilities are mostly align closer to Software tester(2283), as my responsibilities are:

Preparing test plans
Participating test execution, regresstion testing
Participating defect triage
Requirement analysis

My employment letter offering role as QA Test analyst with above brief responsibilities, may I apply under 2283 NOC Code please advise.
Sometimes if there's a slight difference in NOC (between what your work permit says, and what you think matches your actual duties), say between 2171 and 2173 (that happens a lot), it's not too bad, because they are both Skill Level A.

Of course the NOC has to align with the job duties that your employer puts in the Letter of Employment. But if you were hired with LMO-approval for a skill level A job and a closed work permit, and you're doing a skill level B job, there may be questions. Neither you nor your employer are authorized for a different job. Then there's the fact that sometimes applicants try to "downskill' their experience because they can't get the IELTS score that is required for the Level O,A position. I'm not saying that you will be refused, but I am saying it is a possibility, esp. if your IELTS score adds to suspicion.

BTW - ESDC and CIC are separate departments, they use NOCs in different ways, and an ESDC opinion is not binding on a visa officer. It doesn't hurt to ask them, but just be aware...

British User

May 28, 2014
Thank you very much for your effective answers, Yes you are right one NOC Code is Skill level A and another one is Skill level B. I came to Canada under ICT not in LMO is it suffice to proceed under 2283 please advise.