+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC code for self employed e-business owner

GTO

Feb 17, 2020
I am currently applying under the Canadian Experience Class, I have just over 1 year of work experience in a suitable job.

Before I moved to Canada I was self employed for 5 years running an online business, with the vast majority of my sales going through eBay, I'd like to use that to boost my points.

I did everything, including managing my own accounts and submitting tax returns etc.

My work was mostly administrative - managing the sales process, communicating with customers, keeping sales records and a reasonable amount of bookkeeping and general accounting.

I am totally at a loss as to what NOC code would be applicable for this kind of work.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I don't think self-employment can be counted towards CEC experience.

This is clearly stated in the IRCC webpage:

"Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (such as a co-op work term) doesn’t count under this program."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

Which makes sense because otherwise, anyone could claim to have been self-employed at some point to boost their scores.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I believe you can’t use it for work in Canada but you can use self employed foreign skilled work.
Yes, you can use self-employment as foreign work experience, but your NOC is going to be difficult and may not be considered "skilled."

It could fall under "other sales" (NOC 6623) which is not skilled and won´t help you.

The fact that you use a computer to make your sales, however, seems to give most NOCs an upgrade. I also realize you ran the business side of things. I would suggest NOC 0621 but you may need a letter of explanation about the challenges of selecting an NOC, why you couldn´t find one that fit, and why you chose the one you did, even if it is not a perfect fit.

See the Proof of work experience section, there is a paragraph on documenting self-employment.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

Dollybair

Jan 22, 2023
I am currently applying under the Canadian Experience Class, I have just over 1 year of work experience in a suitable job.

Before I moved to Canada I was self employed for 5 years running an online business, with the vast majority of my sales going through eBay, I'd like to use that to boost my points.

I did everything, including managing my own accounts and submitting tax returns etc.

My work was mostly administrative - managing the sales process, communicating with customers, keeping sales records and a reasonable amount of bookkeeping and general accounting.

I am totally at a loss as to what NOC code would be applicable for this kind of work.
Hi,

I wanted to ask if this worked for you and you went about it. I’m currently in your situation. Please help with any helpful tip