+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC code for data scientist

Joy2020

Sep 6, 2020
Hi,
Employment requirement is mentioned under noc description at the end of the page. I don’t have any info beyond what is mentioned in that page. I have received invitation with 2174.
although I am not getting any point for this noc, I still need to provide a job letter since I had mentioned it under work history. while writing the letter, I felt that 2174 is not a good match. On the other hand, i dont have requirements for 2161! It is so damn complicated! I am stuck!
Congratulations on receiving your ITA.. :) I guess you still have option with 2174.. plz chk my previous post

Joy2020

Sep 6, 2020
I don't think that is a big issue. If ML is the main part of your job then go ahead with 2161, the most important thing is the job description of NOC your choose matches what you are actually doing.

I have a statistic background but i went with 2172, which the requirements are:
Employment requirements

• A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science or in mathematics
    or
    Completion of a college program in computer science is usually required.
  • Computer programming experience is usually required.

I do got a call from PNP office though, asked some simple coding question. Got my nomination 30 mins after the phone interview.

Good luck!
Which PNP program was it?

nkuzibe

Star Member
Jul 6, 2010
Good day house!
Please which NOC category does this job title fall under? "Commercial and Contracts Lead". It is a managerial position.

Thanks in anticipation.
Regards,
Nke.

jasonc0408

Star Member
Aug 18, 2020
Good day house!
Please which NOC category does this job title fall under? "Commercial and Contracts Lead". It is a managerial position.

Thanks in anticipation.
Regards,
Nke.
Please provide more detail of your job duty. the NOC category is main based on job description instead of titles.

nkuzibe

Star Member
Jul 6, 2010
Please provide more detail of your job duty. the NOC category is main based on job description instead of titles.
Thanks Jasconc0408

Here is the summary of the responsibilities
Manage all contracts. Put tender documents and proposals together for submission.
Manage portals related to regulatory documents and tender submission. Lead the process for
review of ITT, contracts and other documentation from clients. Ensure that all documents, regulatory
and otherwise, required for the tendering process are in place including the commercial and technical
packages.

Jimi01

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
Just an update the consultant my company hired to apply LMIA for me has put 2172. My responsibility is mainly building ML tools and models for business related predictions.

Joy2020

Sep 6, 2020
Just an update the consultant my company hired to apply LMIA for me has put 2172. My responsibility is mainly building ML tools and models for business related predictions.
Does your responsibilities match with what is mentioned in 2172? I hope your consultant is technically sound and have checked those already.

gurubux

Oct 30, 2019
Did you apply already. Is 2172 the right NOC?
My job profile is to handle complete Machine learning pipeline from data cleaning, preprocessing, feature engineering, train machine learning models and predicting, also evaluating the models, deploying the model on production and more. Tech stack involves Python coding and ML related libraries numpy, pandas, Tensorflow and pytorch. Also cloud related technologies like AWS services (EC2, S3, RDS, ECS, Lambda), Logging tools like kibana and grafana. Docker for deployment. Django, Flask, FastAPI etc Frameworks (RESTful APIs)
Kindly suggest.

Last edited:

Klimmy

Jul 17, 2022
For Data Scientists, Machine Learning Engineers and any AI related field.
NOC code is 21211

Reference: https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/NocProfile?objectid=Wt6Z86FW+KGbL5LxTbTIkz0OlNh1IjTh4jPUDpNVLIA=

Please note, Canada currently considers NOC version of 2016, which doesn't have Data Scientist in it.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/find-national-occupation-code.html#noc

We assess jobs against the 2016 version of the NOC.

Jan 21, 2022
Hi Joy,

I don't think 2174 nor 2173 is a good fit though. these two are more for ppl working on developing an app/application or operation system.

see detail:

NOC 2173
https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?CLV=4&CPV=2173&CST=01012011&CVD=122376&Function=getVD&MLV=4&TVD=122372

NOC 2174
https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?CLV=4&CPV=2174&CST=01012011&CVD=122376&Function=getVD&MLV=4&TVD=122372

from what I understand your job is more like get insight from data:
get prediction from ML to improve business or application performance
or/and making suggestion from your finding. if so 2161 is a better fit imo, see if your job related to:

• Statisticians conduct research into the mathematical basis of the science of statistics, develop statistical methodology and advise on the practical application of statistical methodology. They also apply statistical theory and methods to provide information in scientific and other fields such as biological and agricultural science, business and economics, physical sciences and engineering, and the social sciences.
To get the NOC 2161 detail and employment requirements, go to:

NOC 2161
https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=122372&CVD=122376&CPV=2161&CST=01012011&CLV=4&MLV=4

For your employment letter. it should list out your job description(MOST IMPORTANT), along with your title, starting day and salary,

the job description don't have to be exact;y the same, but it should be highly related to the NOC's job description that you are applying.

Good luck!
Hi, I am a Data Scientist as well with similar/overlapping job responsibilities as some of you mentioned. Please let me know which NOC you finally went with. NOC 2021, now has Data Scientist (NOC 21211) role, but I think 5-digit NOC codes cannot be used till they become effective by the end of this year.