+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC code for data scientist

Parak

Aug 8, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am so confused about choosing the right NOC code. If you guys have similar job duties, please help me.
My main duties (as were posted in the job ad that I am doing now):
  • Multimodal data analytics on healthcare datasets (cleaning, feature engineering, processing, etc)
  • Using machine learning and deep learning to develop predictive models
  • Methods to incorporate domain knowledge with ML and DL approaches for biomedical data analysis.
  • Interprete and visualize ML and DL approaches for biomarker identification, knowledge discovery, and clinical applications
I appreciate your advice.

Thank you,

Jimi01

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
2161Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries
2172Database analysts and data administrators

Those two looks match. But you are right ds is very confusing in choosing noc. Also looking for answers.....

jasonc0408

Star Member
Aug 18, 2020
if your job is more leans to data engineering (ETL, pipeline build, database related job) then 2172
if the duties is more related to prediction or model conducting like, 2161 is better fit.

I am a data analyst applying under 2172, During the phone PNP officer asked some basic SQL and Python question to verify if i know what i am doing. so be prepare for that. good luck!

Parak

Aug 8, 2020
2161Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries
2172Database analysts and data administrators

Those two looks match. But you are right ds is very confusing in choosing noc. Also looking for answers.....
Thanks. The problem is I have phd in computer science and master in elevtrical. However, requirement for 2161 is degree in math or statistics. Do you think 2161 fits with my background?
  • Mathematicians and statisticians usually require a graduate degree in mathematics or statistics.

Parak

Aug 8, 2020
if your job is more leans to data engineering (ETL, pipeline build, database related job) then 2172
if the duties is more related to prediction or model conducting like, 2161 is better fit.

I am a data analyst applying under 2172, During the phone PNP officer asked some basic SQL and Python question to verify if i know what i am doing. so be prepare for that. good luck!
Thanks. The problem is I have phd in computer science and master in elevtrical. However, requirement for 2161 is degree in math or statistics. Do you think my background is aligned with 2161?
  • Mathematicians and statisticians usually require a graduate degree in mathematics or statistics.
I had picked 2174 initially because it has scientific programmer as a sample title but its duties are not a perfect match.

Reactions: Joy2020

jasonc0408

Star Member
Aug 18, 2020
Thanks. The problem is I have phd in computer science and master in elevtrical. However, requirement for 2161 is degree in math or statistics. Do you think my background is aligned with 2161?
I had picked 2174 initially because it has scientific programmer as a sample title but its duties are not a perfect match.
I don't think that is a big issue. If ML is the main part of your job then go ahead with 2161, the most important thing is the job description of NOC your choose matches what you are actually doing.

I have a statistic background but i went with 2172, which the requirements are:
Employment requirements

• A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science or in mathematics
    or
    Completion of a college program in computer science is usually required.
  • Computer programming experience is usually required.

I do got a call from PNP office though, asked some simple coding question. Got my nomination 30 mins after the phone interview.

Good luck!

Parak

Aug 8, 2020
I don't think that is a big issue. If ML is the main part of your job then go ahead with 2161, the most important thing is the job description of NOC your choose matches what you are actually doing.

Employment requirements

or

I do got a call from PNP office though, asked some simple coding question. Got my nomination 30 mins after the phone interview.

Good luck!
Thanks, that helps a lot. My program is federal skills.
I see that 2161 has 3 categories: statisticians, mathematicians, actuaries. I have to meet the duties of statisticians only, and not all the 3, right? Thank you

Joy2020

Sep 6, 2020

Employment requirements

or

Good luck!
Hello Jason,
Thank you for the information. I am a Data scientist too from an Indian IT firm. My work is focused on Collecting/ Cleaning/Enhancing data (as expected from most DS), Building ML/DL models including typical structured data from Databases, Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Computer Vision. I use Python and AWS services for my work.
I was thinking my NOC code would be one of the below. From where did you get the employment requirements? Also what should my current employer's experience letter mention about my current role? In our internal portal, my role is defined as "Scientist".

Software engineers and designers2173
Computer programmers and interactive media developers2174

Joy2020

Sep 6, 2020
Hello Parak,
Where did you get more information on NOC 2174? I am a DS as well and thinking between 2174 and 2173

Parak

Aug 8, 2020
Hello Parak,
Where did you get more information on NOC 2174? I am a DS as well and thinking between 2174 and 2173
Hi,
Employment requirement is mentioned under noc description at the end of the page. I don’t have any info beyond what is mentioned in that page. I have received invitation with 2174.
although I am not getting any point for this noc, I still need to provide a job letter since I had mentioned it under work history. while writing the letter, I felt that 2174 is not a good match. On the other hand, i dont have requirements for 2161! It is so damn complicated! I am stuck!

Parak

Aug 8, 2020
Hello Jason,
Thank you for the information. I am a Data scientist too from an Indian IT firm. My work is focused on Collecting/ Cleaning/Enhancing data (as expected from most DS), Building ML/DL models including typical structured data from Databases, Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Computer Vision. I use Python and AWS services for my work.
I was thinking my NOC code would be one of the below. From where did you get the employment requirements? Also what should my current employer's experience letter mention about my current role? In our internal portal, my role is defined as "Scientist".

I have the same situation and my role is scientist too. Actually title of your role is not important but the duties of your job should match the noc duties. You are considering computer programmers under 2174 and not developers, right?

jasonc0408

Star Member
Aug 18, 2020
Thanks, that helps a lot. My program is federal skills.
I see that 2161 has 3 categories: statisticians, mathematicians, actuaries. I have to meet the duties of statisticians only, and not all the 3, right? Thank you
Yep. just need to meet statisticians in this case, as it mentioned in the page:

Main duties

Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries perform some or all of the following duties:

jasonc0408

Star Member
Aug 18, 2020
Hello Jason,

Hi Joy,

I don't think 2174 nor 2173 is a good fit though. these two are more for ppl working on developing an app/application or operation system.

see detail:

NOC 2173
https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?CLV=4&CPV=2173&CST=01012011&CVD=122376&Function=getVD&MLV=4&TVD=122372

NOC 2174
https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?CLV=4&CPV=2174&CST=01012011&CVD=122376&Function=getVD&MLV=4&TVD=122372

from what I understand your job is more like get insight from data:
get prediction from ML to improve business or application performance
or/and making suggestion from your finding. if so 2161 is a better fit imo, see if your job related to:

• Statisticians conduct research into the mathematical basis of the science of statistics, develop statistical methodology and advise on the practical application of statistical methodology. They also apply statistical theory and methods to provide information in scientific and other fields such as biological and agricultural science, business and economics, physical sciences and engineering, and the social sciences.
To get the NOC 2161 detail and employment requirements, go to:

NOC 2161
https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=122372&CVD=122376&CPV=2161&CST=01012011&CLV=4&MLV=4

For your employment letter. it should list out your job description(MOST IMPORTANT), along with your title, starting day and salary,

the job description don't have to be exact;y the same, but it should be highly related to the NOC's job description that you are applying.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Joy2020

Sep 6, 2020
Hi Joy,

I don't think 2174 nor 2173 is a good fit though. these two are more for ppl working on developing an app/application or operation system.

see detail:

NOC 2173
https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?CLV=4&CPV=2173&CST=01012011&CVD=122376&Function=getVD&MLV=4&TVD=122372

NOC 2174
https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?CLV=4&CPV=2174&CST=01012011&CVD=122376&Function=getVD&MLV=4&TVD=122372

from what I understand your job is more like get insight from data:
get prediction from ML to improve business or application performance
or/and making suggestion from your finding. if so 2161 is a better fit imo, see if your job related to:

• Statisticians conduct research into the mathematical basis of the science of statistics, develop statistical methodology and advise on the practical application of statistical methodology. They also apply statistical theory and methods to provide information in scientific and other fields such as biological and agricultural science, business and economics, physical sciences and engineering, and the social sciences.
To get the NOC 2161 detail and employment requirements, go to:

NOC 2161
https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=122372&CVD=122376&CPV=2161&CST=01012011&CLV=4&MLV=4

For your employment letter. it should list out your job description(MOST IMPORTANT), along with your title, starting day and salary,

the job description don't have to be exact;y the same, but it should be highly related to the NOC's job description that you are applying.

Good luck!
Thank you Jason for the detailed information. Your links really helped me to explore further. I see a new revised list for NOC code for 2016; however, i havent noticed any difference yet.

NOC 2174- Computer programmers and interactive media developers
https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getAllExample&TVD=1267777&CVD=1267974&CPV=2174&CST=01012016&CLV=4&MLV=4&V=394496&VST=01012016

Here there is a mention about "Computer programmers write, modify, integrate and test computer code for software applications, data processing applications, operating systems-level software and communications software.... They are employed in computer software development firms, information technology consulting firms, and in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors."
Under the illustrative example, there is a mention about
  • scientific programmer
Wikipedia says "Scientific Programming Language" as- In computer programming, a scientific language is a programming language optimized for the use of mathematical formulas and matrices. Although these functions can be performed using any language, they are more easily expressed in scientific languages. Scientific languages include MATLAB, FORTRAN, ALGOL, APL, J, Julia, Wolfram Language, and R.

I believe Python language can also be included under this category..

NOC 2171 - Information systems analysts and consultants
Information systems analysts and consultants analyze and test systems requirements, develop and implement information systems development plans, policies and procedures, and provide advice on a wide range of information systems issues

https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=1267777&CVD=1267974&CPV=2171&CST=01012016&MLV=4&CLV=4

Illustrative example(s) :
  • artificial intelligence analyst
  • artificial intelligence consultant
I see similar job roles here

NOC 2173 - Software engineers and designers
Software engineers and designers research, design, evaluate, integrate and maintain software applications, technical environments, operating systems, embedded software, information warehouses and telecommunications software.

https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getAllExample&TVD=1267777&CVD=1267974&CPV=2173&CST=01012016&CLV=4&MLV=4&V=394495&VST=01012016
Illustrative example(s) :
  • artificial intelligence (AI) designer
Another similar profile

NOC 2161 - Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries
Mathematicians and statisticians research mathematical or statistical theories, and develop and apply mathematical or statistical techniques for solving problems in such fields as science, engineering, business and social science. Actuaries apply mathematics, statistics, probability and risk theory to assess potential financial impacts of future events. Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries are employed by universities, governments, bank and trust companies, insurance companies, pension benefit consulting firms, professional associations, and science and engineering consulting firms.

Based on my understanding, the illustrative roles mentioned in the example are all related to performing core statistical work/modeling in Banking, insurance, medical, environmental, etc areas. These roles are not found in IT consulting firms which provide Software solutions.

There is also a mention about Employment requirements - Mathematicians and statisticians usually require a graduate degree in mathematics or statistics. Which I believe only very few IT professional would satisfy this qualification.

I believe based on the company each person is working on and their role, they would need to select one among the above NOC codes. Additionally, based on the right NOC code your chances of getting picked in PNP could get vary :)

Joy2020

Sep 6, 2020
I have the same situation and my role is scientist too. Actually title of your role is not important but the duties of your job should match the noc duties. You are considering computer programmers under 2174 and not developers, right?
Yes... Please read my reply to Jason and share your thoughts..