+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC code for an experienced data scientist with management experience

Somaj

May 31, 2019
I am working as a Data Scientist and for NOC I will choose 2161. But as I can see 2161 is applicable for 3 different profiles - Mathematician, Statistician and Actuaries. I think responsibilities of a statistician matches more closely with my profile than the other 2. My question is in the NOC letter do I have to add the responsibilities of all 3 profiles or adding responsibilities of only statistician will suffice?
Kindly let me know.

krilee

Jul 2, 2018
Hi all,

My job title says ‘Data Analyst’ with the following listed duties:

- Acquire data from primary or secondary data
sources
- Import, cleanse, transform and validate data
for the purpose of making conclusion for
decision making purposes
- Identify, analyze and interpret trends or
patterns in complex datasets
- Develop various scripts using Audit
Command Language to facilitate data analysis
assignments
- Report results using data visualization
techniques
- Prepare presentation using charts, graphs and
dashboards
- Provide assistance during various internal and
external training programme

I thought of going with NOC 1254 as the duties for this NOC closely aligns with the above. But as you can see, there is a fair overlap with NOC 2161 - although with missing key terms like ‘statistical analysis’, ‘data mining’ or ‘forecasting’

I work at a Big 4 audit firm and have an IT degree with a Masters in Mathematical Finance.

If anyone has had a similar job profile, I would please like to know what you picked as your NOC. Is it safe to go with NOC 2161 instead? Please let me know.

Regards

How did 1254 work out for you? I have similar duties but in the marketing department with the title marketing data analyst which falls under NOC 4162, but I don't feel comfortable with the job duties under that NOC. Can anyone advice on what the best to do in this case

Last edited:

Dodobujki

Jul 19, 2020
I had gone with 2171! Though 2161 also suits my profile but I am not into hardcore statistics so went with 2171..hope this helps!
Hi I have used the word machine learning and predictive model instead of data model in my 2171 job description. Is that acceptable?

eayeni28

Oct 26, 2020
Hi all,

My job title says ‘Data Analyst’ with the following listed duties:

- Acquire data from primary or secondary data
sources
- Import, cleanse, transform and validate data
for the purpose of making conclusion for
decision making purposes
- Identify, analyze and interpret trends or
patterns in complex datasets
- Develop various scripts using Audit
Command Language to facilitate data analysis
assignments
- Report results using data visualization
techniques
- Prepare presentation using charts, graphs and
dashboards
- Provide assistance during various internal and
external training programme

I thought of going with NOC 1254 as the duties for this NOC closely aligns with the above. But as you can see, there is a fair overlap with NOC 2161 - although with missing key terms like ‘statistical analysis’, ‘data mining’ or ‘forecasting’

I work at a Big 4 audit firm and have an IT degree with a Masters in Mathematical Finance.

If anyone has had a similar job profile, I would please like to know what you picked as your NOC. Is it safe to go with NOC 2161 instead? Please let me know.

Regards
My job are almost identical to yours and I'm thinking of going with 1254 too. What noc did you end up picking?

Mohsen13677

Aug 10, 2019
How did 1254 work out for you? I have similar duties but in the marketing department with the title marketing data analyst which falls under NOC 4162, but I don't feel comfortable with the job duties under that NOC. Can anyone advice on what the best to do in this case

Hello. My work experience is the same as yours. I was working as a marketing data analysis in a company, but I am not sure which noc is close. Have you found the proper noc for this job title? Thanks.

Shriya_851991

Jan 15, 2021
Yes, I received my ITA on 12/17, applied 03/17 and just got PPR email today. I stayed with 2161 throughout the whole process. I initially had a PGWP, and once the time ended, I process an LMIA-Exempt work permit through my PNP nomination also with that same 2161.

I didn't choose 2171, since my job description does not support easily a software dev., database, or IT profile, and as I mentioned, I got a confirmation email suggesting that my 2161 was a good NOC for my duties.

This are some of my job duties:

-Manage research projects. Develop business cases, determine priorities in consultation with business leaders, create
project plans, and manage timelines, deliverables and costs.
-Conduct analyses to provide increased understanding and hypothesis testing, identifying and forecasting growth opportunities, determining trends, and addressing challenges using a variety of techniques such as predictive modelling, regression analysis, RFM, cluster analysis, segmentation, data visualizations, and mapping.
-Prepare large data sets for analysis.
-Source, evaluate, and manage external datasets.
-Synthesize information and share results through written reports, charts, graphs, maps, and presentations. Develop
predictive model custom scoring and work with programmers to integrate coding into CRM database.
-Provide guidance, training, and support to help staff interpret, understand and apply scoring and other data analysis
results.
-Build a suite of statistical and data visualization tools.
Helllo,

I am preparing for canada PR and I am a bit confused as to which NOC i should enter in the profile.
One of my friends with a background similar to used 4162 - Economists and economic policy researchers and analysts.

I just created my profile and I think 2161 is more relevant.

Here is my profile -
Company 1 Designation - Statistical Analyst
Role & Responsibilities -
  • Data extraction, mining, analysis using statistical methods
  • Programming in R/SAS
  • Process Documentation
Company 2 Designation - Assistant manager, Motor Underwriting Analytics team
Roles & Responsibilities -
  • Data cleansing, mining, analysis using statistical tools like SAS, R
  • Monitoring predictive model built
  • Ad hoc analysis for strategy planning
Company 3 Designation - Research Analyst /Sr. Research Analyst ( Diagnostic Consultant)
  • Analysis on data using various statistical techniques ,using statistical software and proprietary tools
  • Create deliverable that are accurate and visually appealing to the Client
  • Provide research understanding and consultation to internal clients by interpreting results in simple, non-technical language
  • Works on development and implementation of new statistical models and improvement of existing models. (Primarily using R programming language/software)
  • Non standard project R&D.

Company 4 Designation - Consultant, Analytics & Cognitive (Previous name - information Management & Analytics)
  • Develop analytical use case for each data lake which can be developed as part of the POC within the scope of data ingested
  • Provide Industry perspectives to design analytics themes
  • Create PoCs to illustrate outcome for Advanced analytics
  • Develop analytical model using R,execution of the model and testing
  • Provide approach note and road map for analytics development
  • Designing, planning and scoping out projects with stakeholders
  • Responsible for delivery management & stakeholder management
  • Providing high-end consulting to clients at the business head level to help them sharpen their business strategy by implementing analytical models.
  • End to end project management
Current Company Designation - Analytics Engineer, Machine learning
  • Analyse data sets and predict values for un-assessed data set
  • Statistical models for financial services or insurance / financial services
  • Implement algorithms for supervised, unsupervised and semi-supervised MLs
Educational Background.
Post Graduation degree - Financial Economics

Can you guys please help me out here? Should I use 2161
Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries
or 4162 . Your help is highly appreciated.

Shriya_851991

Jan 15, 2021
Hi,

I am also having similar job responsibilities. And also filed my EE with 2161 code as I felt it was closest. However when I tried registering with Job Bank, in Data Scientist Job it is showing 2172 . Should I continue with 2161 in job bank also ?

Please suggest.

Regards

Hey,

Did you continue with 2161 ? If yes, did it create any issue or you got the PR with this NOC.

Regards,
Shriya

clayera

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
EE Inland
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-22-2017
LANDED..........
05/2018
HI Shriya,

I hope all went well with your application. Did you decide on a NOC code for your job description?

Helllo,

I am preparing for canada PR and I am a bit confused as to which NOC i should enter in the profile.
One of my friends with a background similar to used 4162 - Economists and economic policy researchers and analysts.

I just created my profile and I think 2161 is more relevant.

Here is my profile -
Company 1 Designation - Statistical Analyst
Role & Responsibilities -
  • Data extraction, mining, analysis using statistical methods
  • Programming in R/SAS
  • Process Documentation
Company 2 Designation - Assistant manager, Motor Underwriting Analytics team
  • Data cleansing, mining, analysis using statistical tools like SAS, R
  • Monitoring predictive model built
  • Ad hoc analysis for strategy planning
Company 3 Designation - Research Analyst /Sr. Research Analyst ( Diagnostic Consultant)
  • Analysis on data using various statistical techniques ,using statistical software and proprietary tools
  • Create deliverable that are accurate and visually appealing to the Client
  • Provide research understanding and consultation to internal clients by interpreting results in simple, non-technical language
  • Works on development and implementation of new statistical models and improvement of existing models. (Primarily using R programming language/software)
  • Non standard project R&D.

Company 4 Designation - Consultant, Analytics & Cognitive (Previous name - information Management & Analytics)
  • Develop analytical use case for each data lake which can be developed as part of the POC within the scope of data ingested
  • Provide Industry perspectives to design analytics themes
  • Create PoCs to illustrate outcome for Advanced analytics
  • Develop analytical model using R,execution of the model and testing
  • Provide approach note and road map for analytics development
  • Designing, planning and scoping out projects with stakeholders
  • Responsible for delivery management & stakeholder management
  • Providing high-end consulting to clients at the business head level to help them sharpen their business strategy by implementing analytical models.
  • End to end project management
Current Company Designation - Analytics Engineer, Machine learning
  • Analyse data sets and predict values for un-assessed data set
  • Statistical models for financial services or insurance / financial services
  • Implement algorithms for supervised, unsupervised and semi-supervised MLs
Educational Background.
Post Graduation degree - Financial Economics

Can you guys please help me out here? Should I use 2161
Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries
or 4162 . Your help is highly appreciated.

Shriya_851991

Jan 15, 2021
For now I have created my profile with NOC 2161. Anyway fsw draws are not happening right now so not sure how or whether things will work out.
My score was 476 and in may I lost 5 points. So let's see .
Please let me know if I should change the code

gurubux

Oct 30, 2019
Is 2172 or 2173 the right NOC? Data Analyst/Data Scientist/Machine Learning Developer
My job profile is to handle complete Machine learning pipeline from data cleaning, preprocessing, feature engineering, train machine learning models and predicting, also evaluating the models, deploying the model on production and more.
Tech stack involves Python coding and ML related libraries (numpy, pandas, Tensorflow and pytorch). Also cloud related technologies(AWS services (EC2, S3, RDS, ECS, Lambda)), Logging tools like Kibana and Grafana. Docker for deployment. Django, Flask, FastAPI etc Frameworks (RESTful APIs)
Kindly suggest.

Last edited: