+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC code and Job duties - both different

Boviesam

Jun 21, 2015
AOR Received.
06-05-2017
Hi There,

I work as an Administrative Coordinator (1221) in a company and that`s what is indicated on my pay stubs as my designation. However, when I checked on cic, most of my job duties and responsibilities match up with Administrative Assistant (1241).

In this case, would it be ok to use job duties of 1241 while being on the position of 1221 on my experience letter and all other docs.

Please advise.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Boviesam said:
Hi There,

I work as an Administrative Coordinator (1221) in a company and that`s what is indicated on my pay stubs as my designation. However, when I checked on cic, most of my job duties and responsibilities match up with Administrative Assistant (1241).

In this case, would it be ok to use job duties of 1241 while being on the position of 1221 on my experience letter and all other docs.

Please advise.
While selecting the NOC, the duties and responsibilities mentioned in the NOC should be a close match with the actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you at the respective job. You need not match the duties and responsibilities word by word, but the idea is to have the closest match in terms of the spirit of the duties and responsibilities (at least 60%-70% match).

Also, NOC should be selected on the basis of the match of actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you rather than the designation match in the NOC list. If you are not sure of your NOC, write to noc@workingincanada.gc.ca with your job title, duties and responsibilities and educational qualification, they will help you find the closest fit.

While submitting your application to CIC, you can attach the email that you receive from NOC Team.

Reactions: Maria-Gorreti

Boviesam

Jun 21, 2015
AOR Received.
06-05-2017
Stanlee said:
While selecting the NOC, the duties and responsibilities mentioned in the NOC should be a close match with the actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you at the respective job. You need not match the duties and responsibilities word by word, but the idea is to have the closest match in terms of the spirit of the duties and responsibilities (at least 60%-70% match).

Also, NOC should be selected on the basis of the match of actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you rather than the designation match in the NOC list. If you are not sure of your NOC, write to noc@workingincanada.gc.ca with your job title, duties and responsibilities and educational qualification, they will help you find the closest fit.

While submitting your application to CIC, you can attach the email that you receive from NOC Team.
Hi Stanlee,

Thanks for such a quick reply. Actually, I am sure of the job duties that I cover at my job. They completely match with Administrative Assistant (1241) but I don`t know why, my company hired me as an Admin Coordinator (1221) when I was basically doing 1241 duties. I hope you understand what I mean.

So I wish it wouldn`t be a problem when the CIC agent looks at my pay stub saying Admin Coordinator and job duties from Admin Assistant.

By the way, I have also emailed my problem to the email you mentioned.

Boviesam

Jun 21, 2015
AOR Received.
06-05-2017
DelPiero07 said:
Job titles are irrelevant, what's important is that the NOC that you choose matches your duties and responsibilities.
Thanks DelPiero07,

So I guess, I don`t need to ask my company to change my designation to 1241 and issue me the pay stubs again for the same period. I guess it would be a lot of hassle for them.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Boviesam said:
Thanks DelPiero07,

So I guess, I don`t need to ask my company to change my designation to 1241 and issue me the pay stubs again for the same period. I guess it would be a lot of hassle for them.
No.

Boviesam

Jun 21, 2015
AOR Received.
06-05-2017
Thanks Stanlee and DelPiere for your quick response. +1 for you both of your time.

faraz2512

Dec 16, 2015
Saudi Arabia
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
1311 & 1215
AOR Received.
09-08-2017
Hello All,

On my employment letter the NOC mentioned is 1212, whereas my responsibilities are more closely matching to 1111.
Is it fine if it stays the same or should i get it changed?

navkrish

Jun 1, 2018
Job titles are irrelevant, what's important is that the NOC that you choose matches your duties and responsibilities.
Hello,
Most of my work experience is related to 2174 (Programmer Analyst). But in one previous company, i worked for 2.5 years as a process developer. Company HR clearly said they cannot provide me a roles and responsibilities as per policy and mentioned the same on company letterhead. My reporting manager said he cannot provide me a letter through the company email. I want to know couple of things.

1) Since i tried all means of getting roles and responsibilities, is it okay if i can get a signed letter on a plain paper from a different supervisor. Can i say, he witnessed my duties? He is ready to provide his id card, visiting card and latest pay slip.
2) My job is more of 2282 i.e technical support. But there is no official responsibilities listed anywhere from the offer letter to relieving letter. May i list 2174 duties and tweak them to fit my designation. The supervisor is ready to sign the responsibilities i list in the letter. Will it be a problem? Or should i stick to 2282? Thank you!

navkrish

Jun 1, 2018
Hello,
Most of my work experience is related to 2174 (Programmer Analyst). But in one previous company, i worked for 2.5 years as a process developer. Company HR clearly said they cannot provide me a roles and responsibilities as per policy and mentioned the same on company letterhead. My reporting manager said he cannot provide me a letter through the company email. I want to know couple of things.

1) Since i tried all means of getting roles and responsibilities, is it okay if i can get a signed letter on a plain paper from a different supervisor. Can i say, he witnessed my duties? He is ready to provide his id card, visiting card and latest pay slip.
2) My job is more of 2282 i.e technical support. But there is no official responsibilities listed anywhere from the offer letter to relieving letter. May i list 2174 duties and tweak them to fit my designation. The supervisor is ready to sign the responsibilities i list in the letter. Will it be a problem? Or should i stick to 2282? Thank you!

Jeet94

Apr 8, 2018
Hello I have a query with respect to this, Here is a description of the same:

I have 1 year 9months experience in Noc skill level A-1122 (management consulting)

I also have 1 year 6months experience in NOC skill level A- 1111 (financial accounting and auditing)

Can I combine my work experience and state it for 3 years although it has different NOC codes but same NOC skill level?

Thank you.

Umitca

Oct 29, 2022
Hi!This is my NOC code : 72204 – Telecommunications line and cable installers and repairers

My reference letter covers every bullet point except the last 4 ones:

This group performs some or all of the following duties:

• Install, remove, maintain and repair aerial and underground telephone, coaxial and fibre optic cable television, and other telecommunication transmission and distribution lines, cables and associated hardware
  • Splice and repair various types and sizes of telephone and other telecommunication cables including single line, coaxial and fibre optic
  • Repair or replace faulty cables, power supplies, amplifiers and other associated transmission and distribution equipment
  • Inspect, monitor, test and adjust telecommunication transmission lines and cables and distribution systems
  • Analyze and record test results
  • Climb and work aloft on poles, ladders or other support structures or work in confined spaces such as trenches, tunnels and crawl spaces
  • Communicate with other workers to co-ordinate the preparation and completion of work assignments
  • Assist in the erection and removal of telecommunication poles, towers and associated support structures
  • May operate excavation machinery and other heavy equipment.
My reference letter covers every bullet point except the last 4 ones.

In my opinion, bullet points number 6 and 7 are explicitly part of my job and there is no need to mention them in the reference letter because to do the 5 first duties I need to use ladders and sometimes work in confined spaces and also communicate with my colleagues.(it is a skilled trade job)

Regarding the 8 and 9 bullet points, I don't do the erection and removal of telecom poles and the last duty has the word "May" which makes it unessential.

What do you think?
My reference letter is good enough if it covers just the first 5 bullet points directly and 2 bullet points indirectly(out of 9)?

Thanks,