+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 4012 Successful experience

Apr 21, 2018
Hi everyone,
I'm applying for the Express Entry under NOC 4012 FSW, as I had a full-time scholarship both during my Masters and PhD. I'd like to know if anyone had a successful experience getting the PPR under this NOC or if you have heard about a successful experience of someone in this same situation.
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: jamilmuradov

chardys

Feb 1, 2017
California, USA
yes, I applied and got COPR last year based on my teaching and research assistant work as a PhD student in the US. I have seen many examples of successful applications on 4012 on this forum as well. But have you worked as a teaching assistant or a research assistant? Scholarship without such employment would not count...

Apr 21, 2018
yes, I applied and got COPR last year based on my teaching and research assistant work as a PhD student in the US. I have seen many examples of successful applications on 4012 on this forum as well. But have you worked as a teaching assistant or a research assistant? Scholarship without such employment would not count...
Thanks for your reply! The scholarship required both roles - assisting professors in undergraduate disciplines, doing literature review, data collection, publishing research findings in scientific journals... the majority of duties described on NOC4012 were covered.
What kind of documentation did you use to prove your experience? I'm using letters of recommendation from my supervisors and letters from the department leaders to prove my scholarship grant, values, hours per week and main responsibilities. Would that be enough or they have requested additional documents from you?

chardys

Feb 1, 2017
California, USA
yes, should be no problem if you can show that the payment was in exchange for conducing most of the duties specified in 4012. I just submitted a reference letter from my department manager, I made sure that the letter strictly followed the IRCC's instruction (see below). I was not asked for any further info or evidence than the letter, but that might be a case-by-case basis

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html
  • "a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits;"

sourav1

Aug 16, 2018
yes, should be no problem if you can show that the payment was in exchange for conducing most of the duties specified in 4012. I just submitted a reference letter from my department manager, I made sure that the letter strictly followed the IRCC's instruction (see below). I was not asked for any further info or evidence than the letter, but that might be a case-by-case basis

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html
  • "a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits;"
Hi, If I have only RA experience. Will I be aligible to apply under FSW?

Raha_1986

Oct 31, 2017
Need advice immediately...
My husband and I are going to apply through EE under FSW. We are going to do it through NOC 4012 as my husband was a PhD student. I know that since he didn't have work permit, it doesn't count as Canadian work experience. But, when we answer to questions to check the eligibility and make our express entry profile, should we enter "None" for how many years of work experience he has in Canada and "3 years or more" for his overall work experience in the last ten years? It is confusing as the work was done in Canada but it is considered as foreign work experience.

Thanks

BALKARGDB

Jul 25, 2017
Need advice immediately...
My husband and I are going to apply through EE under FSW. We are going to do it through NOC 4012 as my husband was a PhD student. I know that since he didn't have work permit, it doesn't count as Canadian work experience. But, when we answer to questions to check the eligibility and make our express entry profile, should we enter "None" for how many years of work experience he has in Canada and "3 years or more" for his overall work experience in the last ten years? It is confusing as the work was done in Canada but it is considered as foreign work experience.

Thanks
Raha: I guess, He needs other work experience other than PhD (work experience). PhD won't be counted as experience as he was enrolled as a student, that too in Canada.
You need to search more if you want to use PhD work as experience, and that too could be possible in case you are not doing a PhD from Canada.
So, you have none of the work experience in Canada.
Please reconfirm and consult some immigration people.

Sarahsmith

Dec 26, 2019
Hello,

I have read through this forum and want to thank you all for the useful information.

if I understand correctly, ta/ra work done in Canada while on a SP can make me eligible for FSW (if I have enough PT hours that equal 1560 hours) but the work experience will not get me points?

What I am confused about is how to complete the profile, I input the work experience, say it’s in Canada, the Canadian uni as the employer, etc and that I did the work while being a ft student w/o a work permit? Will that work or will it think I am applying under CEC and ineligible?

Reactions: jamilmuradov

jamilmuradov

Star Member
Feb 23, 2019
Hello,

I have read through this forum and want to thank you all for the useful information.

if I understand correctly, ta/ra work done in Canada while on a SP can make me eligible for FSW (if I have enough PT hours that equal 1560 hours) but the work experience will not get me points?

What I am confused about is how to complete the profile, I input the work experience, say it’s in Canada, the Canadian uni as the employer, etc and that I did the work while being a ft student w/o a work permit? Will that work or will it think I am applying under CEC and ineligible?
Hey! You can indicate your RA as work experience and simply check the box asking whether you have been working while studying. My understanding is you will be eligible to enter the express entry pool but will not receive work experience comprehensive ranking system points.

Reactions: Sarahsmith

jamilmuradov

Star Member
Feb 23, 2019
Hi everyone,
I'm applying for the Express Entry under NOC 4012 FSW, as I had a full-time scholarship both during my Masters and PhD. I'd like to know if anyone had a successful experience getting the PPR under this NOC or if you have heard about a successful experience of someone in this same situation.
Thanks in advance!
Hey! Would you be so kind as to please let me know how long it took to process your application.

kalani123

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Hey! Would you be so kind as to please let me know how long it took to process your application.
Dear,

I have been looking around for this topic of using the PHD from India (on scholarship and involved in research) as a work expereince for EE FSW.

My wife is in the same boat now. She joined an university as a Research assitant and later after 4 months joined as full time PHD candidate and did her work for almost 5 years. She was getting paid by some grant initially for an year and then from JRF funding. She can try to get a reference letter from her guide but payslips are not available.

I saw you have asked similar questions at mulitple places. I kindly request you if you could shed some light if this is possible and do request to share the reference letter format which will help in getting some relief.

Thank you in advance.

mandy15leo

Mar 11, 2019
Dear,

I have been looking around for this topic of using the PHD from India (on scholarship and involved in research) as a work expereince for EE FSW.

My wife is in the same boat now. She joined an university as a Research assitant and later after 4 months joined as full time PHD candidate and did her work for almost 5 years. She was getting paid by some grant initially for an year and then from JRF funding. She can try to get a reference letter from her guide but payslips are not available.

I saw you have asked similar questions at mulitple places. I kindly request you if you could shed some light if this is possible and do request to share the reference letter format which will help in getting some relief.

Thank you in advance.
Hi
I recently got PR in March 2020 under noc 4012 for PhD with fellowship. You can email on mandakini15leo@gmail.com. yes it is possible. I never submitted pay slips. I can email you reference letter and answer other queries