+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 4012 Research Assistant

pawansh

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
What about RA experience gained during PHD program outside Canada and on scholarship can it be consider for FSW and CIC

pawansh

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
Can somebody provide me a link to the CIC official website, stating that one cannot qualify under FSWP if they only TA/RA work experience?

CEC is explicit in that work experience gained during full-time study will not be accepted. You also won't gain any points under Express Entry if your work experience is gained while you are studying full-time, but there is nothing (I repeat, nothing), stopping you to apply under EE and qualify under FSWP if your work experience is only TA/RA.

Yes, you will be at disadvantage since you won't have any work experience points under CRS, but your work experience will be accepted under FSWP, and if you can get at least 67 poitns under FSWP, you should technically quallify to Express Entry (again, with no work experience points under CRS, but still qualify nonetheless.

For those wondering if you can get hours on your work experience, yes, it is possible. I got my PR under the old PhD stream, and I got my reference letter from my supervisor. I too didn't have any other work experience but TA/RA at the time (keep also in mind that most of my funding was non-taxable, like most other PhD students), and yet, I STILL GOT MY PR.

Make sure your letter follows the exact same format as required by CIC. Keep in mind that you will have to ask for it. The boiler plate letter HR provides won't do!!! Document your hours properly, and use the correct job descriptions. A lot of people were rejected because their job descriptions did not match NOC 4012.

Again, anyone is welcomed to point out the specific quote for FSWP that precludes TA/RA from qualifying. It is explicit under CEC and CRS, so if it was really the case, they should mention it under FSWP as well (but they don't).
Your post is really helpful, i have the same situation as i have only RA experience during PHD and MSC outside Canada and i was no scholarship and not on salary so in this case, can this experience be considered in FSW and express entry.

Jul 10, 2018
Hi All,
For RA/TA work what can be the evidence of salary paid? For RA there is no salary slip given in my university, as it is only a scholarship. My PhD was complete in 2013 and I closed that bank account so I can not show bank statement. Will a letter from professor (PhD guide ) or university office be accepted as an evidence of being paid?
could you get any valid response from your question? I am in the same boat

Nov 7, 2017
could you get any valid response from your question? I am in the same boat
I applied to express entry through my GTA/GRA experience and got PR just a couple of weeks ago. If you are on a scholarship and you get a stipend not a salary then they might not count it towards your work experience. It also depends on the letter you get written from your PI/Mentor or HR who ever deals with the appointments at your place. If the mention it as salary for GRA then good. You can always show them your contract letters if you lack the salary slips or the w2 or tax forms. I had everything salary slips and contract letters etc.. Do not call it as a scholarship (unless it is a scholarship) as that isn't work. I was also on a scholarship for some time but didn't include that time as my work experience. So it all depends how you put your case forward and what documents you can provide to substantiate your case.

Reactions: eastgwzh