+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 4012 Research Assistant

mm1989

Aug 30, 2017
@ Kateg:

Instead of just copying from CIC website, could you please put some explanation with your own words for this person?

Do you have clear idea about RA/TA? RA/TA are paid position and they get paid by their supervisor/university. But this experience is not considered as work experience because they are on study permit. Try to open a profile with your RA/TA experience and let me know if the system allows you.

"You can apply in EE ONLY if you have 1 year or more foreign experience"- why this is incorrect for this person? This person does not have any Canadian experience thus s/he need at least 1 year foreign experience to qualify in EE, right? do you think this person can open a profile with their RA/TA experience?

I am helping you with one information: RA/TA's receive T4 also. now, please advise this person if s/he can open a profile with RA/TA if s/he does not have any foreign experience at least for 1 year? thank you.
No s/he can't. No job experience during study permit is accepted. simple !

gailmargolis

Star Member
Mar 25, 2017
US
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have finished my PhD from India and I want to apply for Express Entry (EE). My query is: Can I show my TA/ RA (NOC 4012) work as work experience if I have a letter from my Professor which states that I have worked for 3 years (20 hours per week = 2 years of full time work) and the work was paid.

Since my PhD is not from Canada and thus I am curious to know if this can be used as work experience. There are many threads on this topic but I have seen the responses which say that if the TA/ RA work is paid then it can be considered (need to validate).

Please reply with context of the EE in today's terms.

Secondly, I have 2 years of work-ex in the IT domain (NOC 2171). Can I club both the work (NOC 2171 + NOC 4012) and show my work-ex as 4 years?
I have this question as well. I am NOC 2161 (statistics) and I have some Research Assistant experience in statistics while getting my PhD in Statistics. Therefore should the RA experience be included under NOC 2161 (statistician) or under NOC 4012 (RA). It seems that NOC 4012 is not specific to any field, i.e. you could be a Chemistry PhD student, Physics PhD student, Math PhD Student, etc. and any RA experience would fall under this catch-all category of NOC 4012. Instead, why not label RA experience to be the NOC under the field you were getting a graduate degree in. This is really confusing

EROS_27

Mar 11, 2017
Hi Forum Members,

I have been working as a Teaching/Research Assistant for 2 years ( 2015-2017) while doing my Master in the US. I am planning to apply for PR under the FSW. I wonder if I can claim points for that experience outside using NOC 4012. In other words, can claim points for both eligibility and EE once in the pool with TA/RA experience outside Canada for 2 years?

I also have one year experience in the Business Industry working as an Analyst. However, the 1 year experience is discontinued. Meaning, I work first as an analyst for a period of 7 months between May 2012 and November 20112. Later, I work as an analyst for 3 months between December 2013 and March 2014. Finally, recently as an analyst from June 2017 to September 2017. I wonder if I can claim points for analyst experience under FSW with the above. Do we need 1 year experience without interruption?

I hope I can get some very useful information from this forum as I find the people here very helpful and willing to help.

Regards

Nov 7, 2017
I had a question. I did both GRA for sometime and then GTA for the same university. There were times when I was half GRA and half fulbright. Can I count all of these together as work experience. I worked for 20hours/week for close to 5years and 7 months

desaishan

Nov 2, 2017
just one more question, My RA was a paid position with hours written on the contract letter. i did my PhD from the US not canada so will that count
It is the same. I did my phd in the UK. I did many RA and TA hours. But I remember when I check the CIC website, they did mention that jobs conducted during student program is not counted. You have to have a year full-time (or part time equivalent) employment to be qualified (I presume). This was a confusing question for me last year. Before my PhD, luckily I have 13 months employment. Good luck! Or you can call the CIC to double check.

desaishan

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for the reply. but my employment was part time and if you look at the following post it seems it might count. I am only confused whether both GTA and GRA positon can be counted as same work experience under the same NOC.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6
"You cannot count work experience you gained while enrolled as a full-time student."

Yes. I understand. But as long as your primary identity is a student, I personally do not think that will be qualified as working experience. I did have issued employment records letter from my faculty to prove that i have worked certain amount of hours as RA and TA. But I do not think that may be counted as work experience, since i was enrolled as a phd student and hold a student visa in the UK.

You can also contact CIC for further explanation.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks for the reply. but my employment was part time and if you look at the following post it seems it might count. I am only confused whether both GTA and GRA positon can be counted as same work experience under the same NOC.

As long as the experience was outside of Canada, you *may* be able to consider it as work experience.
It would have to be considered as work in addition to your studies, not as "part of" your studies. It depends on the way the letter(s) are worded by the university/department. If they say that the work was part of your degree program, it will be considered "study," not employment. Many RAs/TAs have succeeded.

ruhin

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
Reactions: saha_pritam

aralizadegan

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
Hi guys

I did a MSc in Canada with paid RA full time. should I put that as my occupation and work experience? do I get points for that? do you guys think I'd qualify for invitation with these credentials?

andyding13

Feb 11, 2017
Hi guys

I did a MSc in Canada with paid RA full time. should I put that as my occupation and work experience? do I get points for that? do you guys think I'd qualify for invitation with these credentials?
Technically RA within Canada is not accepted for CRS points, but may count towards FSW one year work requirement.

see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6

However, I did see several posters on this forum claiming they got points for RA within Canada and successfully got PR (presumably by FSW).

sunnyb7

Star Member
Nov 11, 2017
Hi All,
For RA/TA work what can be the evidence of salary paid? For RA there is no salary slip given in my university, as it is only a scholarship. My PhD was complete in 2013 and I closed that bank account so I can not show bank statement. Will a letter from professor (PhD guide ) or university office be accepted as an evidence of being paid?

aralizadegan

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
my school had an online portal where list of all of my payments were there with date and amount. at the same online portal were my t4 slips which are indicators of employment. also my school had a financial center where you could request and letter of employment. you can also use the tax return docs as an indirect evidence of employment.

Hi All,
For RA/TA work what can be the evidence of salary paid? For RA there is no salary slip given in my university, as it is only a scholarship. My PhD was complete in 2013 and I closed that bank account so I can not show bank statement. Will a letter from professor (PhD guide ) or university office be accepted as an evidence of being paid?